Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is Yahoo trying?

Is Yahoo trying to end this business or what?

They are optimizing their hosting page to rank at search engines.
    Their Hosting Page has a big shortcut at search results of "cheap web hosting", "web hosting ", "webhosting services" ..
    They are buying Ads from Google Adwords.
    I am not sure but probably they are buying static text links too.
    4Gb Disk 75Gb Bw plan is $19.95 Mo.
    com,net,org domain registeration is $4.98

Does anyone seen yahoo workers while begging to the peoples on the streets to sell web hosting ?
    Last edited by dolay; 04-13-2005 at 01:25 PM.

Nothing to worry about. Its Yahoo. Ending the business? I think not.

I think it is quite disturbing that they do not show any other ads when you type web hosting. They do only show their own ads. Ok, **** Yahoo... But what about the other search engines ? If they all do the same crap we can shut our doors...

Originally posted by thomas.smith
    I think it is quite disturbing that they do not show any other ads when you type web hosting. They do only show their own ads. Ok, **** Yahoo... But what about the other search engines ? If they all do the same crap we can shut our doors...
    They show other sites's ads on their SE (example)

Or is that not what you meant?

From what Ive herd their support is pretty much non existant....

It will probably boil down to what makes them more money. Ads from Webhosts or webhosting itself...Something tells me the former would win out..

>It will probably boil down to what makes them more money. Ads
    >from Webhosts or webhosting itself...Something tells me the
    >former would win out..

I don`t think so. If you buy ads from a search engine you do it in order to make profit off of it. That means you pay for advertising because the money you pay for advertising is less valuable then the customers you are getting in return. I mean if that wasn`t right why should anyone advertise on a search engine ?

>former would win out..

I don`t think so. If you buy ads from a search engine you do it in order to make profit off of it. That means you pay for advertising because the money you pay for advertising is less valuable then the customers you are getting in return. I mean if that wasn`t right why should anyone advertise on a search engine ?
    I was talking about companies (Google, Yahoo, ect..) blocking other companies ads on their SE in order to only promote their hosting services...

>They show other sites's ads on their SE (example)

Aren't that free listings ? I mean they don`t sell paid listings. If they do not sell paid listings they do not really sell any ads because if I would depend on ranking in the top ten under "webhosting" on Yahoo I'd probably try winning the lottery instead as chances are better...

Originally posted by Haddy
    I was talking about companies (Google, Yahoo, ect..) blocking other companies ads on their SE in order to only promote their hosting services...
    Hm... difficult to say what's the better deal.

I was talking about companies (Google, Yahoo, ect..) blocking other companies ads on their SE in order to only promote their hosting services... [/QUOTE]

To tell you the truth, I don't see that happening. For example, if you go to Google and type in "online ads" or "pay per click", you won't just see AdWords advertisements, but rather a ton of other ads.

As for the web hosting industry specifically, the bids come up to several dollars per click. To tell you the truth, I honestly feel that Google will make more money with less hassle selling advertisements, than running their own hosting division.

Even Yahoo, which already offers web hosting services, serves other ads for "web hosting" related terms.

Boris
    - AdWatcher - From the founders of HostVoice, comes the first ad management and tracking service created with web hosts in mind. Track Google AdWords, Overture, hosting directories, local advertising, etc. Compatible with ModernBill, WHM AutoPilot, ClientExec, PayPal, 2CO and others.
    - Pay Per Click Marketing Book - Don't spend another dollar on PPC ads before you read this book.

$4.95 domain registrations?! OUCH!

I'm wondering if that is actually "at cost".

I don`t think they can cover their costs with $4.95 domain registrations. I guess they are paying around 5 to 6 Dollars.

I don`t think they can cover their costs with $4.95 domain registrations. I guess they are paying around 5 to 6 Dollars.
    $6 is the base cost for accredited so it means $4.98 is owing at least $1.2 to the Yahoo.

Who said Yahoo is not selling look http://www.webhosting.info/webhosts/...ains/YAHOO.COM

They are gaining at least 10k more domains to their hosting service every week. also can see from here http://www.webhosting.info/webhosts/...fer/YAHOO.COM/ whom are loosing by those Yahoo tactics.

I believe there is a fight between those big players and lets think Google will start to the same think as Yahoo does, what happens?

I'm not worried, as I have a nice, loyal customer base, and as I target more of the local market, I hope to be able to live comfortably off of mainly local clients.

Re: What is Yahoo trying?

Originally posted by dolay
    com,net,org domain registeration is $4.98
    Do you have a link to the $4.98 registration?

-Lamar
    Going out of business in our 10th year.

I think it is right on their front index page if I'm not mistaken.
    This is my signature. Nice, eh?

Re: Re: What is Yahoo trying?

Originally posted by Perfecthost
    Do you have a link to the $4.98 registration?

-Lamar
    No but i have thinked to put a catch-phrase of "we are selling much more expensive than Yahoo, WHY?" will be a good slogan?

lol i understand what you are meaning with that question but this is "running a web hosting business" forum and here we are discussing the forum title , not advertising the Yahoo dirt cheap prices to the other web hosting business,

The web hosting business is a too big cake and those big players was eating the cream of this cake but Yahoo now toward the mouth to the whole of the cake even its too big just for them but what if Google will join to this bi cake ?
    We all will loose our bazaar, local or international, will have no chance!

Whats more Google already start to serve private Vidoes hosting for free.
    Last edited by dolay; 04-14-2005 at 11:44 AM.

Ahhhhhh! It just changed! I had the domains page open on my screen, and it was showing $9.95. That was the reason I asked. I'll bet the page was cached on the local server.

Originally posted by Perfecthost
    Ahhhhhh! It just changed! I had the domains page open on my screen, and it was showing $9.95. That was the reason I asked. I'll bet the page was cached on the local server.
    lol i tought you were asking if we are giving a link to the yahoo from our own hosting service page...

Anyways you can easily see the text link "Get a domain for $4.98/yr" just below the search box and usually a big body banner on the homepages of Yahoo.

When did Yahoo join the market ??

Since internet ages,they start with Geocities..
    However those exaggerated is not more than month old

Yahoo has been hosting websites ever since it bought GeoCities back in 98-99. Geocities had paid hosting plans before that, and yahoo has continued the tradition. In the past 2-3 years, yahoo re-branded the paid hosting to just Yahoo, and the geocities is free hosting.

>However those exaggerated is not more than month old

Geocities was free, right ? When did they get into paid hosting ? And what do you mean with exaggerated ? The $0.01 per century domain offer or their hosting offers ?

>In the past 2-3 years, yahoo re-branded the paid hosting to
    >just Yahoo, and the geocities is free hosting.

Ah, ok. And did they lower their hosting prices recently ? Or is it only the domain offer that is so cheap ?

Ah...and that April 1st post about MS aquiring Yahoo was a joke, right ? Because I really don`t want MS to join the hosting market. Will they provide hosting with their OS ? That would definitely break the neck of us all.

We had sites hosted with them back in ~1998. It seems like the price was about $16 or $17 per month per account. It was one of the few that had a control panel. The control panel was great by the standards of that day, but poor compared to today's standards.

-Lamar

>former would win out..

It's definitely more profitable for them to show host's ads. Yes it's worth it for the host, but you have to keep in mind that the SE (Yahoo) will show about 13 paid ads on each page, so they will often get several paid clicks from each search. If they were only showing one ad, then you're right it would be more profitable to only show their own. But since they're not limited to one ad or advertiser, they might as well show their own ads at the top of the list.
    www.HowToSellHosting.com - How to start a hosting business (free download)!
    www.10-Free-Ebooks.com - Download 10 ebooks with resale rights

everyone that i have talked to that has used yahoo says it blows, so why even worry about it?

$6 is the base cost for accredited so it means $4.98 is owing at least $1.2 to the Yahoo.

Who said Yahoo is not selling look http://www.webhosting.info/webhosts/...ains/YAHOO.COM

They are gaining at least 10k more domains to their hosting service every week. also can see from here http://www.webhosting.info/webhosts/...fer/YAHOO.COM/ whom are loosing by those Yahoo tactics.

I believe there is a fight between those big players and lets think Google will start to the same think as Yahoo does, what happens?
    if a fight start between yahoo and google, google might give you 100GB webhosting package for $9.99/year
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Is it possible to offer $4.98 domain registration? Well, I guess so because Yahoo does it. How did they get such a low price? :-D

they are losing money and using this marketing technique to attract customers to buy other services
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Yahoo's not the only one to play the domain names game. Netfirms comes to mind as well: http://www.netfirms.com/domain-names

please correct if i am wrong: there is no way to get .com, .net, .org registrations lower than $6 base accredited price ! They are loosing at least $1,50 per domain registration so those companies taking to risk of loosing millions$ everyyear(renewals).
    Last edited by dolay; 04-18-2005 at 07:50 PM.

>please correct if i am wrong: there is no way to
    >get .com, .net, .org registrations lower than $6 base accredited
    >price ! They are loosing at least $1,50 per domain registration
    >so those companies taking to risk of loosing millions$ everyyear
    >(renewals).

That is not much of a problem if you have BILLIONS of cash reserve + they can probably cover their costs because many people who register domain names do also buy hosting + they damage the competition with their offer which is another advantage for them.

i have graduated from business administrations... as far as i know unfair competiton will turn to a crime when it start to effect the wide "have to" usages. You know com net org domains are must for most of the world wide webs and for their providers..
    But i am not sure if offering yearly com+net+org registerations from 4.9x may be assumed as unfair competition by the services that have capacity to sell in such a large volumes that will effect whole related business. But if this will be carried to the higher discussion steps i am sure ICANN "may" or "have to" prevent offering domain registration lower than $6 which is base cost of ICANN/VeriSign(not sure which one of identified those costs)

please correct if i am wrong: there is no way to get .com, .net, .org registrations lower than $6 base accredited price ! They are loosing at least $1,50 per domain registration so those companies taking to risk of loosing millions$ everyyear(renewals).
    You are correct that price is standard. ICANN, the registry, charges a flat fee to all accredited registrars no matter how many domains are purchased every year. Companies, like Yahoo, can offer registration at a perceived loss because of their business model. These companies expect to offset their cost through other margins like web hosting. This is a common business strategy to use for some companies.

If google and yahoo goto war on this..which may happen since google registered with icann recently (if i wasnt half asleep dreaming when i read the article about that)...

then a new age in the domain name hosting era will begin possibly in my opinion hehe

The only solution is to market your domains as of better quality than yahoo domains. Thus far, I have never seen a host describing their domains as better quality than others. Most users wouldn't know if a domain was quality or not, so in my mind, it could work.

Hmm I've had a few Yahoo domain/hosting plan ex-customers move to us because of limited support/services which I won't mention anymore. So don't feel threatened by Yahoo. Each webhosting company has their own niche. I also have a few customers who found us , using Yahoo search engine .
    Protagonist WebHosting Services
    Blog Hosting solutions:: Cpanel with Rvskin & Fantastico Deluxe
    Providing Reliable Hosting since 2002

Originally posted by Bashar
    they are losing money and using this marketing technique to attract customers to buy other services
    This is certainly the key to making money on a mass scale. After all what are you to do with that domain name you just registered?
    Sam Elsamman
    http://www.sitemagix.com
    Advanced Site Builder Software for Web Hosts

Well if Yahoo and Google do decide to to have there own little webhosting war then yes there will be casualties.

Now would be a good time to make sure your customers are happy (not just take it for granted!) and that you are in a position to weather any fallout.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast