Thumbs up PayPal too good to be true - signup not req'd

Hello All,

Did you know that PayPal now accepts payment from customers without the need to signup for an account? Hence, anyone with a Visa, Mastercard, Discover or Amex can pay instantly to merchants using PayPal.

So.... conclusion is that other 3PP will slowly be phased out as PayPal is stable, wont disappear and well known by customers.

Is this good news for all of us or what?

I hope my above conclusion isn't too far fetched.... Comments anyone?

Paypal changed this for US Business and Premier accounts back in February 2004. They then added more countries in February 2005 to inlcude:
    • Australia
    • Belgium
    • Canada
    • France
    • Hong Kong
    • Netherlands
    • United Kingdom
    • United States

If I'm not wrong, they still do not accept payments from buyers who are from unsuppported countries

Correct, if the country is not supported, Paypal cannot accept money from them at this time

Still a pretty good improvement though... Over past months we have noticed increase usage of PayPal as opposed to our other 3PP.

You will probably see a better increase if you include messaging on your own site before passing the users over to PayPal. Informing them on your site that they can pay using any credit card without having to create an account may increase your checkout conversion rate.

Best improvement yet.

Added to the fact that you can now have currency balances and transactions in AUD. Balance transfers over $150 are free to your bank account it beats other options hands down.
    Ron Rogers
    Need SSL Certificates? WEBYSSL.com (rapidssl.com International Affiliate)
    Put Your Mark on the WWWorld with WEBY Systems

I believe its a great feature. Some people still get scared when they have to use their credit card online. So the fact that its a one time use might lessen the tension for them.

well to me paypal needs to finish the mip so we as hosts can charge the clients accounts automatically every month with out sending the invoices. ITUNES use it but they havent finished it to give it to us.

Only problem about this is that if you need recurring payments, that paypal user will have to sign up for an account. But if it is just a one time payment, then there's no difference.

Yeh, in the long-term. Have no doubt. They charge.
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

Originally posted by cyberultra
    If I'm not wrong, they still do not accept payments from buyers who are from unsuppported countries
    Yeah, its kinda a bummer.
    I've had to turn away some decent sized clients because of this :/
    AppliedOperations - Premium Service
    Bandwidth | Colocation | Hosting | Managed Services | Consulting
    www.appliedops.net

When did they make that change?

Originally posted by mperkel
    When did they make that change?
    See this post

Then again there are people like my neighbour that won't use Paypal in any way shape or form. He's turned down some exceptional deals on things, and paid more for his hosting rather than purchase from a vendor that used only Paypal for processing. I don't think he's alone either so I'd say other processors are pretty safe for the foreseeable future.

Just my opinion of course
    "Obsolesence is just a lack of imagination."

yea some people dont trust 3rd partys holding credit cards. some people just have that thing inside who are afraid its not good but they just are. I used to be like that but over time when u understand paypal its good. just that some ppl rather the company charge em directly rather than go thru third party.

It's not third party processors he doesn't trust, they're pretty common, it's PayPal itself he doesn't want anything to do with.
    "Obsolesence is just a lack of imagination."

paypal pisses me of they charge to much in fees

They charge too much in fees? PayPal charges from 1.9 ~ 2.9% +0.30c to receive payments. Is this too much for you? I doubt you can get a better rate elsewhere.

Re: PayPal too good to be true - signup not req'd

Originally posted by columbus
    Hello All,

Did you know that PayPal now accepts payment from customers without the need to signup for an account? Hence, anyone with a Visa, Mastercard, Discover or Amex can pay instantly to merchants using PayPal.

So.... conclusion is that other 3PP will slowly be phased out as PayPal is stable, wont disappear and well known by customers.

Is this good news for all of us or what?
    You cant sell downloadable products through paypal..And that my child(lol) is the biggest tragedy of all.

Actually you can by redirecting the success URL to the .zip or pdf file, but again thats not at all secure.

There is one way though. www.payloadz.com

Efficient system. But secure server space to store your products is priced at outrageously high rates.

I'll say 'HAIL PAYPAL' when they get some sort of system which lets merchants pedle (umm, sell?) downloadable products.

Re: Re: PayPal too good to be true - signup not req'd

Originally posted by EVILISCIOUS
    You cant sell downloadable products through paypal..And that my child(lol) is the biggest tragedy of all.

Actually you can by redirecting the success URL to the .zip or pdf file, but again thats not at all secure.

There is one way though. www.payloadz.com

Efficient system. But secure server space to store your products is priced at outrageously high rates.

I'll say 'HAIL PAYPAL' when they get some sort of system which lets merchants pedle (umm, sell?) downloadable products.
    I have purchased downloadable goods from Paypal in the past without havig to go to the Payloadz site It is all in the programming to protect your downloads and use the IPN

on 1k i receved they took $40, a money order costs .75cents and a western union money order costs $25 max

Originally posted by -=XD=-
    on 1k i receved they took $40, a money order costs .75cents and a western union money order costs $25 max
    So, thats their standard rate, if you went through 2checkout it would have been $55, stormpay $69 and so on. You have to factor in the costs of running the account when you set your prices.

If you are dealing in high volume turnover then you have justification for a merchant account with a bank. They would have taken $15 - $20 anyway in fees as well as the monthly account fee just for having the account.
    Ron Rogers
    Need SSL Certificates? WEBYSSL.com (rapidssl.com International Affiliate)
    Put Your Mark on the WWWorld with WEBY Systems

If you are receiving more than $3k/month through PayPal, you should apply for the Merchant Rate. You can reduce your fee rate from 2.9%+$0.30 to as low as 1.9%+$0.30. (Cross-border fees will still be higher than your domestic rate, but would also be lower than the Standard cross-border rate if you qualify for the Merchant Rate.)

For more information, go to PayPal.com and click on the "Low fees" link near the bottom of the main page.

Of course, this will never bring your fees down to 75 cents for a $1000 payment, so it's up to you whether you want to allow your customers to pay you instantly online or would prefer to wait for a money order to take to your bank.