Thread: Music Legalitys

Question Music Legalitys

I read a few months ago that it is legal to have 'previews' of songs and pay no royalities to the RIAA / Other agencys, as long as they are under 30 seconds in length, I believed this to be the case a few months ago but currently im not so sure, could anyone verify this for me and others who may like to know? Thanks!

Many ringtones are shorter than 30sec's but ringtone site owners have to pay royalties for each tone sold - dont know if that has any bearing on the issue.

interesting thing to look over...

I thought if its just a short while (30 seconds or not) you dont have to pay, preview!

Peace,
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...

Originally posted by mlovick
    Many ringtones are shorter than 30sec's but ringtone site owners have to pay royalties for each tone sold - dont know if that has any bearing on the issue.
    I always thought that was because they are actually profiting from it... Unlike just giving free previews of the music...

Hiya,

The deal with MCPS and PRS over here in the UK is that you can play the previews <30 seconds for free as the royalties will be paid on the actual sale of the ringtone after that.

Thanks, this post has remined me that our royalty reports are due in a few days. Bummer. Argh..