Angry cPanel Nightmare...

Hello Everyone,

I know i have not posted much, heck not sure if i ever have. I do surf the site everyday and must start by saying GREAT RESOURCE! I am in the process of starting my hosting company and decided I was going to test each of the control panel solutions on a development server I built which i would run the trials of each one on to see what I like the best. Seemed like the logically thing to do....

Well I started with cPanel because it is the most widely used and seemed to have a solid follwoing. I installed CentOS 3.4 and followed the instructions to the letter. The script locked up. I reformated the system as the instructions states after a failed installed, and tried again. Same thing! After 16 installs still no luck at gettign this to install. It is currently sittign at the following:

Resolving Dependencies

where the \ changes to | then / then -- after god only knows how long. This script has currently been running for over 2 hours and it is suppose to only be running for 30-60 minutes. Now I know the next question is going to be well what does the system have that you are testing with have in it. Here are the specs:

AMD 1.3GHz CPU
    1 GB DDR Memory
    80 GB Western Digital Hard Drive 7200 RPM 8MB Cache

the system should not be a factor in this matter. This system was running SMOOTH with SuSE 9.2 Professional on it so I know it is not the hardware. CentOS runs SMOOTH on the hardware, attempt to install cPanel and all hell breaks loos on the system.

I have emailed cPanel and well I have received quicker replies for assitance from a Microcsoft on a bad day. I would figure if a person was about to drop over $1000.00 on licenses for your product you would be more willing to resolve what appears to be a very poorly written script or a bug in the script in order not to loose that sale, maybe I just see todays logic.

Has anyone else ran into this problem before?

Is it just that my eyes are crossed and I see scan lines in my sleep?

If this last email to cPanel is not replied to by 9:30 am when I go to a business meeting I infomred cPanel they have lost the sale. As I do not have anymore time to be "testing" a script that wastes my time.

How does everyone feel about these control panels:

This will be running on a Linux (CentOS 3.4) box and would like everyones opinion. I have personally used cPanel and found it easy from the users standpoint thats why I wanted to try it first, how are the above control panels for user friendliness?

Do they offer just as much control for the user?

Do they offer things cPanel does not?

What are the pit falls and short comings of each one?

This cPanel nightmare has pushed my dates back over 2 weeks now. and now I have some upset people, mainly myself for continuing to try and get it to work....

Thanks in advance for the advice and comments.....

P.S. Sorry for the long post.....

Lansing, MI, USA
    Resolving Dependencies
    Looks to me like it would be a problem with yum/up2date or whatever tool is being used to update the system, though I haven't done a cPanel install myself yet, so I could be wrong. I'm also used to Fedora and not CentOS, so there may be particulars there that I am missing.
    Jacob - WebOnce Technologies - 30 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Over 5 Years Going Strong!
    Website Hosting, PHP4&5, RoR, MySQL 5.0, Reseller Hosting, Development, and Designs