Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Planet Dedicated Servers

Does anybody at all on WHT have any past or current experiences with The Planet DC Dedicated Servers? I need to know because I am planning to get a dedicated server from them but don't want to run into any problems like the previous guy complained about the custom built servers?
    New Hosting Company -- Coming July 2005
    Shared Hosting - VPS - Dedicated Servers

I purchased a dedicated server from The Planet two months ago that I will be closing at the end of this term due to their extended, ill-explained, uncredited downtime they had late March. I ordered a SuperCeleron 2.4 and everything was fine for awhile, but I don't understand how a pair (thats two) of redundant power distribution units fail at the same time. <spec> I honestly think they did not pay their utility bill or fell behind or something.</spec>
    Devon Dunham (Owner, Sharpnet/DDoS Host)
    Advanced DDoS Mitigation and Server Management Solutions

Protecting your online infrastructure.

Est. 1998.

There is a lot of people that have experience with them, both good and bad. I would recommend running a search through WHT and you'll find what your looking for.

Originally posted by DD-SNC
    I purchased a dedicated server from The Planet two months ago that I will be closing at the end of this term due to their extended, ill-explained, uncredited downtime they had late March. I ordered a SuperCeleron 2.4 and everything was fine for awhile, but I don't understand how a pair (thats two) of redundant power distribution units fail at the same time. <spec> I honestly think they did not pay their utility bill or fell behind or something.</spec>
    The Planet does not (and did not two months ago either) offer a celeron server

I think you ordered this from their servermatrix division which offers cheaper prices but also less redundancy and a lower level of service, no?

I've had 100% uptime on my dual xeon @$275/month at the Planet since last september.

i have 2 servers at ThePlanet.com for the past year which is Total Control or TC for short
    FAST network and rock solid servers and at a great price and i am loveing it
    also i had 2 servers at servermatrix.com for a year and they were ok but i shifted them to TC because i needed more power
    also there support is good and with TC servers you get your reboot port and they do some upgrades and some trouble shoting for FREE
    also they have free setup with extra larg drive right now for there P2800 servers when you put this promo code WHT in the order page
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=394037

I have 2 been with Servermatrix.com/ThePlanet.com since Nov 2003. I initally started with servers with from servermatrix.com, then by Feb 2004 actually upgraded to 2 x Total Control server (last time RLX servers). And recently Mar 2005, just upgraded to E2800SR and P2800SR (Dell servers) which are both very excellent servers.

SETUP: I have very few issues with server setup. Most of my setup are done in less than 24-48 hours even with custom OS partitioning etc. Of course, given that during the initial setup there may be things which may be missed, but if you open a ticket with them, they will be most glad to resolve it for you. So far my orders were setup correctly. The only setup which may take sometime is managed services such as monitoring etc which may take a while longer to get it up and running. But that is fine with me. As it take a while to get your server configured anyway.

NETWORK: I have had servers in other major datacenter before, so I am pretty happy with The Planet's network uptime. In the entire time I was with The Planet, I think I only had a slight downtime (2 hours +) due to their redundant power issue recently. I didn't have any issues even when I was first using the servermatrix servers either. A very rare 2 hours plus downtime out of 17 months of 100% uptime is considered excellent for me. No matter how good a system or hardware you have, it will bound to have some issues once in a while. How frequently you get this is how you can tell a good network from a lousy network. This is definately the best network uptime I have had when compared to previous datacenters that I had hosted with over the past 8 years. If you want 100% redundancy, then you need at least two 100% uptime datacenter or more to ensure that your website is always available.

I have a minute to minute monitoring from my pc in Singapore and several free monitoring services (1 hour checks), all can confirm that my servers are hardly down (unless I reboot it). So that is very good uptime and fast access to my website.

SUPPORT: Personally, I had very excellent and prompt support especially for important support tickets. For other less important support I am happy if they reply within 24-48 hours or even later doesn't bother me. Reboots request are done in less than 5 minutes. With the reboot console and Dell DRAC (or previously RLX console), these features allows me to reboot the server immediately without bothering the techs.

However, I hardly needed to request for a reboot. This is because of the excellent Gold IP Monitoring services provided by The Planet. The moment the server becomes unpingable, they follow your escalations request such as rebooting the server. Or if a service is down restart that service for you. For me being located in Singapore, I find it very reassuring that my server is being monitored. I can get call from The Planet's tech that my server is unpingable (ie Dallas to Singapore long distance call was something I never experienced from other datacenter I hosted in US). That has reduced any major downtime I had from server related issues.

Personally, I know how to manage and configure my Windows server, so I hardly needed to get support for any assistance. The Planet does provide custom admin time depending on the level of management you take up. But probably I only needed support in terms of hardware and reboot. All other issues I usually fix myself.

I am personally extremely happy with the services that I have purchased for my website's need. I do not see me moving anytime in the future. In fact, I will only be expecting to upgrade to better servers as my website grows.

Warmest Regards
    Robert Lee

Originally posted by DD-SNC
    <spec> I honestly think they did not pay their utility bill or fell behind or something.</spec>
    Wow... ignorance can be pretty scary.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

The Planet has a good network, but their servers are marked and priced as "managed", when they don't offer much management at all aside from basic updates, patching and very very basic troubleshooting. You're basically on your own, and if you don't know what you're doing you could fall flat on your face.

If a good network and basic updates is all you're looking for, you're better off going elsewhere. There are much better deals out there for this level of management, which in my opinion, is almost completely unmanaged.

If full management is what you need, go somewhere like LiquidWeb, SteadfastNetworks, or ServInt. You can find deals that are practically the same in terms of network and equipment, for almost the same prices as The Planet, but the level management will be much, much higher.

(For steadfast, add $75 for management to whatever options you see. SteadFastServers is the actual managed website but it has not been updated in a while. If you call, they will honor the $75 deal for management. For ServInt, use this address for unadvertised deals: http://www.servint.net/specials/).

Originally posted by sirius

Sirius
    yeah, serisouly. how can a DC fell behind their bill? unless it's a home base.

i've been with SeverMatrix since last Aug. 2004. i was lucky that power failure did not affect me. i never have problem with their support and billing. it's a hit or miss. people either like or hate theplanet's service but to simply say they didn't pay their bill is nonesense! No DC that size can afford behind on bills.

Originally posted by simonthebrit
    The Planet has a good network, but their servers are marked and priced as "managed", when they don't offer much management at all aside from basic updates, patching and very very basic troubleshooting. You're basically on your own, and if you don't know what you're doing you could fall flat on your face.
    They clearly state what they manage and monitor as part of your management package. You need more management, pay for a higher level.
    Doyle Lewis
    BuyHTTP Internet Services - In business since 2003
    Business Hosting | nginx, CloudLinux, Varnish cache, and CDP with every business account
    Shared, Reseller, Semi Dedicated, VPS, Cloud, Dedicated - We can grow with you

Originally posted by sirius

Sirius
    Yea... that conspiracy theory went a little wild there... heh
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / "Automate. Grow. Repeat"
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / A KEAP Certified Developer (KCD)

Even at the highest level of management, they are pretty vague about what is included in management. The management is broken down into items that mostly have to do with monitoring, and otherwise are things that any other service would include anyway.

There is an item called "System Administrative Service", which breaks down as follows:
    Depending on the Managed Services Level, the customer may get additional operating system administrative assistance. This might include requests to help adjust the operating system to match new service requirements, install software, maintain user policies, etc. Requests can be regularly scheduled maintenance or ad hoc requests.
    This is actually nothing more than what ThePlanet used to advertise as "admin time", where you have a certain number of hours, depending on your management level, to have a tech actually work on your server. Included is 1 hour of admin time. The next step up is 5 hours, which costs an additional $250 a month.

Most fully-managed providers like LiquidWeb include these services by default without any time constraints and cost the same as ThePlanet's options cost without any additional management. The only thing the fully-managed providers might not do is install/support third-party software, but I believe they would even do that on a limited basis.
    Last edited by simonthebrit; 04-13-2005 at 03:39 PM.

Even at the highest level of management, they are pretty vague about what is included in management. The management is broken down into items that mostly have to do with monitoring, and otherwise are things that any other service would include anyway.

There is an item called "System Administrative Service", which breaks down as follows:This is actually nothing more than what ThePlanet used to advertise as "admin time", where you have a certain number of hours, depending on your management level, to have a tech actually work on your server. Included is 1 hour of admin time. The next step up is 5 hours, which costs an additional $250 a month.

Most fully-managed providers like LiquidWeb include these services by default without any time constraints and cost the same as ThePlanet's options cost without any additional management. The only thing the fully-managed providers might not do is install/support third-party software, but I believe they would even do that on a limited basis.
    Do you host with them? Or just commenting about situations you have never been in?
    Don't you walk thru my words
    You got to show some respect
    Don't you walk thru my words
    'Cause you ain't heard me out yet

theplanet/sm is okay. You get what you pay for.
    P4HOST.COM -- Specialize in quality Web Hosting solutions.
    Affordable -- Prices are very comparative
    Reliable -- Very low load average guaranteed. 60 day money back. Fast Support --Support Forum -- Providing hosting since 2003

Sarcasm is uncalled for, TalkMilitary. You are the reason threads tend to turn into episodes of Springer.

And yes I have had many, many an experience with ThePlanet. I was with them for 6 months.

Sorry maybe you meant the other fully-managed providers. I'm currently with LiquidWeb, but it doesn't matter, I'm only comparing what the companies say on their sites about the exact breakdown of what "managed" means to each company.

I said nothing about my own experience.

There is an item called "System Administrative Service", which breaks down as follows:This is actually nothing more than what ThePlanet used to advertise as "admin time", where you have a certain number of hours, depending on your management level, to have a tech actually work on your server. Included is 1 hour of admin time. The next step up is 5 hours, which costs an additional $250 a month.

I agee with what you say.. there (and I use 'there' just to mess with the hens) interpretation on their managed support, is a tad vague I must say. And the different between a hefty $75/hr admin fee and them fixing it for free.. can easily change from tech to tech.. from day to another.. its another one of those "hit or miss" situations.
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / "Automate. Grow. Repeat"
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / A KEAP Certified Developer (KCD)

Yes that's true, there's really never any clarity regarding what is and isn't considered admin time, and it's constantly changing.

If you don't know how to admin a server with confidence, then I guess The Planet/ServerMatrix isn't for you.

To add my comments, I have had one server with TP for 15 months and an SM server for about 4. Ok, I had a bit of downtime the other day with the power-outage - sh1t happens, not the end of the world (for me). They're not the cheapest, they're not the most expensive, you get what you pay for and they do it pretty well.

Power-oustage aside, I've had zero problems during my time with them. I just can't stand people who whine about how they're going to leave TP because of a problem that affected some servers for a few hours. Which provider hasn't had a problem at one time or another?

Well... you can't deny that there sure have been a lot of complaints about them, compared to the other hosts. Even if some of those are petty, the fact that there are so many does say something.

Every host goes through good and bad periods. I remember a time a couple of years back when EV1 got a roasting, then they became everyone's darling. In a few weeks time, everyone will move on and start bashing some other provider. That's just the way it is.

I'm sure if TP was worried by the bad press they are getting here, they would be posting more in their defence. As it is, I think they are too busy taking orders to monitor what is being said here

Well, as you know The Planet is growing very fast and getting increasing popular as a web host of choice, it is possible to get a handful of people who complains about them. What is human nature is that people tends to complains at the first sign of problems, some adding more fuel to what it really is and some just join in with old issues to fuel the flames. You do more or less see the same bunch of people who complained. But then when things are good, you don't see a huge group of people rushing out to praise them.

With over 26,000 servers under their belt, a couple of complains is not going to change my opinion of them. I only based on my own personal experience and so far, things looks good from where I am standing.

They may be slower now but not to the extend of being unbearable.

Some of the complains here may have been the issues created by the users themselves.

I guess sometimes if you try to defend yourself, things might get ugly. If you don't, then the issue might blow over. When I do have an issue, I rather work privately with them. It sure is a lot better.

I've seen several posts here where people complained about their hosts but was proven to be false accusations and the complainers own dirty laundry get brought out instead, making them look stupid and silly to the world.
    Last edited by eddy2099; 04-13-2005 at 06:55 PM.

ThePlanet has been getting bad press for a while, long before this outage.

Um... I could be wrong about this, but it's my understanding that ThePlanet has never responded to any complaint posted on WHT.

In fact I don't even think they have ever posted anything on here, or are even registered with WHT.

They are. Only the Sales Manager, Jeff has an account here under the moniker 'YourHost'.

Bad Press would always plague any company as huge as them. Last year if you were here, it seems that bashing of web hosts is the in-thing here. Each week, people finds a new business to bash. Every host who is something would have a couple of negative press under their belt.

A business without any bad publicity would probably not have any customers from here in the first place.

I generally discount what I read here because not everything said is true for the general customer base.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast