2nd DNS failure in a week - Comcast

I'm using Comcast as my ISP, and their DNS server has failed for the 2nd time in a week, causing two nationwide long periods of downtime (around 3-4 hours each.) When I called them, they said that the main DNS server was down, and that's exactly what they said last week when it went down. They said that it is so rare for that to happen twice in a week, and for that reason they can assure me it won't happen again. So basically they aren't doing anything to prevent further issues, just assuming that it won't happen again, since its already happened twice. I think its ridiculous that they have had this much downtime.

My son is out of state currently and also uses Comcast and he told me today they were down yesterday and last night too.
    Hope its fixed then

Yeah, its back up now. It seems they've been having some problems, but they also updated the speed around a week ago, but there is still no excuse for the downtime.

for those who still have modems in their PCs, a free netzero account is handy to have for backup. (ten hours per month)

Hey Gang,

A workaround exists to bypass the DNS for your ISP. I have Comcast too but was able to use the directions below to work around the problems that they have been experiencing.

<from http://www.dslreports.com/faq/8164 >

Q: How do I change what DNS server my computer uses? (#8164)

A: Note: Instructions below are for Windows 2000, XP and 2003 users only. For a complete set of instructions for multiple operating systems, including screenshots, please visit the ORSC website. (http://support.open-rsc.org/.servers/)
    Additionally, if you are behind a router, you may have to change DNS settings using the router configuration utility. Please consult your user manual.

To change DNS servers:

o Right click on the My Network Places icon on the desktop and select Properties. (If the icon is not available, go to Start menu | My Computer | My Network Places | View Network Connections.)

o Locate the network connection that is associated with your Internet connection. This may be labeled something like "Local Area Connection." If you have more than one connection to choose from, be sure you determine the right one before proceeding.

o Right click on the appropriate connection and select Properties.

o In the list that appears under the General tab, double click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).

o In the window that appears, you want to select the option to Use the following DNS server addresses...

At this point you will want to enter at least one of your personal preferred DNS servers. (or from the list below)

Verizon (Level3) Nameservers

SpeakEasy Nameservers

ORSC Public Access DNS Nameservers

Sprintlink General DNS

Cisco

o Press Ok out of all windows until you are back to the Network Connections window. You can now open your web browser and browse to a website to see if it connects faster.

Hope that helps!

Deborah

Thanks, thats a great tip.

deborahsmith,
    You're quicker than me - I was just about to post that FAQ myself.

I don't think Comcast are making too many friends right now. My cable TV's been acting squirrely these past few days too - at least that's free in the apartment I rent.

This happened quite often with Earthlink few weeks back and usually lasts few minutes then goes back to normal and I just switched the DNS Server to my own dedicated server (personal use) and everything worked fine.

Ofcourse a backup is always good such as dialup (netzero) in my case MetConnect

Again!

They're down again! That's twice in 24 hours and 3 times in a week. Luckily I used what Debrah said so this computer is on fine. This is so ridiculous, they have people paying them $60 a month (plus cable for some people like me) and they can't keep up. I just got off the phone with them and got a $10 credit off my bill, so I strongly recommend everyone with Comcast calls them and asks for $10. But beware, you may be on hold for around half an hour. The first time I called after 10 minutes they told me they were unable to connect me, and then disconncected me, and then I called back and got to someone in around 20 minutes.

I have 2 accounts with Comcast here in Richmond, VA.

Since Comcast bought out ATT BROADBAND, it appears
    that they are NOW moving from att nameservers to
    their own....

On one account my DHCP on my router has not renewed for awhile and is STILL assigned the "old" att nameservers,
    and has not had any problems....

But, my other Comcast account has the new comcast nameservers and has been nothing but trouble for the last 10 days.....

Looking at my two Comcast accounts, each using Linksys routers.

One has the old att nameservers (working)

63.240.64.54 sccsbix11-3-1.attbi.com
    204.127.198.19 ns7.attbi.com

The other has the NEW comcast nameservers (kinda not really working)

68.87.64.196 ns.inflow.pa.bo.comcast.net
    68.87.66.196 ns.cmc.co.denver.comcast.net

Originally posted by CD Burnt
    for those who still have modems in their PCs, a free netzero account is handy to have for backup. (ten hours per month)
    That's exactly what I had to do the other day when we had actual connection issues in NJ. As for DNS, I've used 4.2.2.2 and a speakeasy nameserver for a long time - Comcast's DNS has problems a few times each year, so I gave up on it.

- Matt

Yeah, I've just noticed them changing over their nameservers recently, even though they bought AttBi a long time ago. I'm signing up with NetZero and I also changed the DNS servers to 4.2.2.2 (what great IP addresses those are ) for double protection, because I really doubt Comcast's ability to maintain uptime after this past week of disaster.

Comcast HSI customers: Call them and demand a $10 credit on your bill, they will give it to you. The more people who do it, the more damage it will do and maybe they will actually try to maintain a reliable network if downtime hurts them enough financially.

Just change your DNS and use your servers DNS. Works great for me.

I logged into my Comcast account online via www.comcast.com and sent a message asking for a credit on my bill for my broadband internet.

Within minutes I had a response from a CSR asking for a clarification on when and how often I was having issues.

I wrote back and told him that last week we were down for a whole day almost and then intermittently this week and especially Tuesday night.

He issued me a weeks worth of credit which will be reflected on my next bill.

The whole turnaround for me was under 15 minutes from start to finish. I am glad that there are still companies that are responsive to customer service. Very rare these days.

Email beats sitting on the phone on hold, and gives us a written confirmation of what transpires. I definately feel they owe all of us Comcast clients some credit, and hitting a company where it hurts the most is a good way to show them that we *are* paying attention.

Deborah

Only a weeks credit? Shessshhh I got a month.