Service Suggestions

Hello all.

I have to design a website where clients can enter their credit card information and the company will then manually call in to process the orders. Is there any way to do this? I know storing CC information in a database is a BIG responsibility.

If this can't be done in a reasonable way, what other services are out there that act like Verisigns Paypflow Link? I don't need custom pages, but I do need to be able to process company credit cards (which rules out Payflow Link). Any names of companies that can provide a relatively inexpensive fee for CC processing would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Are you asking for gateway services, or merchant accounts services to be able to manually process orders or both?

Hmmm. I'm not sure what the differences are between those names.

I'm looking for what I described in my first post. Either the first option to somehow store CC info securely (don't think this is possible and I don't want to be responsible for this) or the second option to have a merchant account.

What is a gateway?

Storing a CC number is very tricky. You might contact Susi over at 2000charge.com or consider Verisign Payflow Pro which does accept purchase card levels 2 & 3.

Ya I know payflow pro is a possible solution, but I was wondering if there is a service out there like payflow LINK that allows you to use leve 2 & 3 CCs.

Cybersource is another gateway that will support purchase card levels 2 & 3.

Are you just looking for gateways mainly then?

Jtown, I'm a little confused are you looking for a processor or a gateway? To me it sounds as though you are looking for both. Or do you have a processor already and looking for a gateway that stores the credit/debit card information?

It looks like I've had a little misundertanding on how CCs are processed. Sorry for the n00bism. I need a full CC solution for a website I'm designing. I need customers to be able to come into my site and purchase items with a credit card. Order volume isn't high (thousand/year or so).

Any suggestions on companies out there?

Then of course there is always paypal.

Is there a way for the customer to enter in their credit card information and have my employees be able to pick that information up in a secure way and then process it?

I'm really confused at what possible options are out there.

Well a gateway can process the credit card for you. This will help you from actually having to store the credit card information, etc

Originally posted by coreybryant
    Well a gateway can process the credit card for you. This will help you from actually having to store the credit card information, etc
    I see. So I need both a Gateway and an online Merchant Account correct?

What are good combinations of the two? I need an inexpensive solution as order volume is low. Any names you guys can throw out there would be great.

Do all merchant accounts provide an online feature? For instance if a store already accepts credit cards, do they most likely have an online feature they can sign up for?

Most gateways provide an API to integrate into your secure website to capture and process credits cards. This feature is usually free, but some gateways charge for it.

Most also offer their own secure website as well to capture and process credit cards.

And with a merchant account, the electronic payment gateway will also provide you with a virtual terminal as well for free so the merchant can process credit cards "manually" online.

As far as transaction fees and gateways, most gateways charge about $15 a month to start using their services. Some also charge a transaction fee while others do not.

Usually with the merchant account, there is a $10 a month charge - call it a statement fee, a customer service fee, etc - it's $10.

And yes if you have a brick and mortar account, you can contact your MAP to see if they offer an internet merchant account as well. Rates vary but the average is about 2.45% or so right now.