Can someone tell me how to get better search engine ranking?

I have a website that is a home repair forum.

I have two questions:

Should my title when trading links be my domain adddress to get better search engine rank?

What should my keywords be?

home, repair, forum
    home repair forum
    home repair, forum

etc.

Research into SEO, of hire an SEO firm to take care of this.

There really is not magic solution anyone will be able to give, there are many variables to the equation.

As a start, make sure you have good keywords and placement. Also get backlinks to your site using the keywords.

Try more specific key "phrases" for your site, not single words. Find a niche and market for those keywords.

Good luck

Not looking into a magic solution. I just want to know about the title of the website and search engine ranking. Also keywords, should they be seperated or put together before the comma.

Title should nbe unique to every page, with good keywords and readability by endusers

Search Engine Ranking is to general of a question and cannot be answered in a quick post

Keywords, they should be more phrases, delimit them by a comma.

I would suggest SitePoint's SEO Forum (link). They also just came out with a new book that is supposed to be fairly good.

Also check out the sites of some larger SEM firms such as OneUpWeb, most have some articles that are extremely interesting and informative.

Great resources Haddy. Thanks guys.

Most important nowadays,

1) Incoming links from high ranked sites.
    2) Blogging can really improve your seo rankings.

Search engines love blogs, at least for now.

A home improvement site would be perfect for a blog. You could write up a short article every few days, or point to an article you find elsewhere and add your own commentary (agree/disagree, in addition, etc.)

Keywords are not worth obsessing on in the metat tags. Put them there but don't spend time wringing your hands.

Keyword placement worked into the content of your site is most important.

Finally, use the bid tool at overture.com and see what keyword phrases are being used often, and set up an account and bid on those search phrases with your city name included. Do the same at Google.

Good luck,
    Steve
    This is not a signature.

Originally posted by bravelion
    Most important nowadays,

1) Incoming links from high ranked sites.
    2) Blogging can really improve your seo rankings.

Search engines love blogs, at least for now.

A home improvement site would be perfect for a blog. You could write up a short article every few days, or point to an article you find elsewhere and add your own commentary (agree/disagree, in addition, etc.)

Keywords are not worth obsessing on in the metat tags. Put them there but don't spend time wringing your hands.

Keyword placement worked into the content of your site is most important.

Finally, use the bid tool at overture.com and see what keyword phrases are being used often, and set up an account and bid on those search phrases with your city name included. Do the same at Google.

Good luck,
    Steve
    SE love blogs because theres always new content being added...SE like google dont rank sites that are stagnet very highly.

New content is always good to keep visitors comming back as well.