hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : VPS Hosting : email to parked domains

Forum Jump

email to parked domains

Reply Post New Thread In VPS Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old

email to parked domains

One of my customers uses an email address of him@city.parentcompany.com but his company isn't parentcompany so his domain isn't parentcompany.com. Instead, his company is franchisecompany.com.

I've been using Ensim for years and with it, I simply make city.parentcompany.com an "alias" for franchisecompany.com and email to the first is delivered to the second.

Now that I'm moving to cPanel, I have a question: will cPanel forward email sent to a parked domain? Specfically, if I park city.parentcompany.com onto franchisecompany.com, will email sent to city.parentcompany.com be delivered to franchisecompany.com?

It seems like it should.

Sponsored Links
Old
Junior Guru

You mean - to corresponding accounts, i.e. him@franchisecompany.com? I'd say no, cause it can handle mail for both domains (original and parked) separately. So they aren't joined.

Not sure though, you better check.

Old

With Ensim, when you alias a domain with another (what cPanel calls "parked"), email sent to him@city.parentcompany.com gets delivered to him@franchisecompany.com because one is an alias of the other. Surely cPanel would have match Ensim in this very basic yet necessary feature.

Can't actually try without making it live because DNS servers at the parentcompany have to modified. I just wanted to know if anyone else had any experience and could tell me that it works before me having to go live. I sure hope so because franchisecompany is a major cash cow for me. It would not be good to leave my current Ensim-encrusted provider only to find out that I have to give up my customer because I can't deliver mail to him.

He has millions of dollars in advertisements that include the city.parentcompany.com, and so he wants to stick with using that as his primary email address.

Thanks for the response.

Sponsored Links
Old
Junior Guru

In any case you'll beable to set up email delivery - it just may happen (again, I'm not sure about it) that you'll have to manually set up forwarders him@parentcompany.com -> him@franchisecompany.com.

Old

The answer to your question is "yes."

I've also recently migrated to Cpanel from Ensim.

- Park the domain city.parentcompany.com over franchisecompany.com from the WHM control panel

- From franchisecompany.com's control panel, select Mail -> Email Domain Forwarding

- Once you click Add Domain Forwarder from the screen, you'll see city.parentcompany.com in the pull down. Select this and enter franchisecompany.com in the next field.

- Email sent to user@city.parentcompany.com will direct to the corresponding mailbox at franchisecompany.com

Hope this helps -

Old

When you say corresponding mailbox at franchisecompany.com, does 'correspondinguser' have to already exist on franchisecompany.com or does it just send any 'user' that is sent to city.parentcompany.com and exists on franchisecompany.com?

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Web Hosting Sales and Promos Roundup - August 22, 2014 Web Hosting News 2014-08-22 11:36:10
Australian Web Host Crazy Domains Irretrievably Loses Customer Data, Offering $100 Credit to Affected Accounts Web Hosting News 2014-05-20 10:56:27
Q&A: Monetizing MX Records with Sean Stafford of Bounce.io Blog 2014-05-13 09:52:45
Nominet Plans to Make Shorter .UK Domains Available Starting June 10 Web Hosting News 2014-02-03 12:08:10
Outbound Spam Causing Sleepless Nights? Blog 2013-05-13 09:52:21