Thread: Memory usage

Question Memory usage

Hi I have a new VPS

I have move some accounts with no traffic, but memory shows 53.6% used. Is this normal?

Server Load 0.15 (2 cpus)
    Memory Used 53.6 %
    Swap 0.711 %
    Disk vzfs (/) 14 %
    Regards!

couple things, VPS hog memory more than anything else and that could be your entire system.......... what suprises me is its not running up the full 99 percent for the heck of it

gilbert
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

I had similar concerns when I tested the water with a few VPS providers in the last few weeks. I thought it was cheaper to try a few of them for a month and burn a bit of money before moving too many clients over to one provider and having a disaster.

My stats with SERVINT at the moment are :
    Server Load 0.04 (4 cpus)
    Memory Used 44 %
    Swap 0.816 %
    Disk vzfs (/) 23 %

Other companies I tried had much much higher server load on VPSs doing nothing. From memory they all showed around 50% memory used. SERVINT was by far the best stats from the three companies I have chosen

Guess the best option is to do a gradual migration of clients and see how it goes.

I have an old client who had their domain with another co who must have a reseller account on a EV1 server. Just to compare the server load on this account is always over 2.0 (1cpu only) and on sold red but the site is always reponsive and has been for years.

Good luck..

Who were the other two VPS servers ?
    WordPress Greece | Athanasiadis
    The Hellenic Community of WordPress

LiquidWeb and PowerVPS.

Have got to say also SERVINT seems the most professional. I have had a few support issues due to my incompetence and they were handled beautifully. From my research throught these forums those three were reported as most reliable. Dont waste time with anyone else.

There's omly marginal differece between the three on a price basis. Servint also has a forum which appears to be reasonably active.

What about powervps? What were your thoughts about them? Thanks

Still pretty good, but I'd go with Servint. They also seem to be the most favoured in this forum if you do some digging.

My stats at PowerVPS currently are (I have taken all accounts off so its doing nothing) :
    Server Load 0.35 (4 cpus)
    Memory Used 56.8 %
    Swap 0.709 %
    Disk vzfs (/) 11 %

All three companies had similar times from order to getting the VPS setup so not much difference there. LiquidWeb actually called me up to verify the order which I thought was a 'nice' touch.

Good luck !!!

Thanks but on serint's website I cannot find any vps.

<?php echo "Signature here"; ?>

Ahh no wonder I went to the wrong website but I got it now thanks.

@hotrod: no problem, glad to help
    <?php echo "Signature here"; ?>

is it just me, or is the PowerVPS load a bit high? have you done that check at more 'idle times', like first thing in the morning? Just wondering, as they're high on my list (which is as others have said: PowerVPS, ServInt, Liquid). The fact that Power does some pre-securing of the VPS is a real bonus (Liquid does as well), and yet their costs are lower.

Since from what I understand, ServInt has upper-caps on resources to avoid systems getting locked up, I guess I'm not necessarily surprised that Power might show higher avg load, but...

-d
    David Chait, Editor
    CHAITGEAR - Consumer electronics news and reviews

David,

The PowerVPS box is doing nothing but is most times hovering around this load. I have checked all three many many times at random times during the day. Servint is consistantly lower than them and Liquidweb.

I guess one thing is that all the three I tried havent had any 'real' load on them. The Servint box has currently about 15 domains but all static and most are really only used for email.

The server load when idle may or may not be a usefull indicator.

IJ

Hello

i'm on powevps host too

just now i check

Server Load 1.13 (4 cpus)
    Memory Used 64.2 %
    Swap0.727 % %
    Disk vzfs (/) 81 % yellow color image

can i ask , what this last mean?

thx
    Your Health Encyclopedia
    Medical and health consumer information resources containing comprehensive and unbiased information in patient-friendly language

This means that your main partition is 81% full.

Originally posted by ijones
    David,

The PowerVPS box is doing nothing but is most times hovering around this load. I have checked all three many many times at random times during the day. Servint is consistantly lower than them and Liquidweb.

I guess one thing is that all the three I tried havent had any 'real' load on them. The Servint box has currently about 15 domains but all static and most are really only used for email.

The server load when idle may or may not be a usefull indicator.

IJ
    I have been with PowerVPS since Feb i think. They have been excellent and there support is just great. I have since moved to A2B2 as they do a VPS in the UK at a reasonable price.
    I noticed this with PowerVPS where they load was never really any lower than 0.3 - 0.4 even when nothing was on the server, when my sites where on there the load would be around 1.0 and some times above 1.5 and then the site lagged quite a bit.
    When i moved the A2B2 the load was 0.0 - 0.1 when i got my sites moved over the load has never really has gone over 0.5 ( at the moment it is 0.14).

I am not putting PowerVPS down as they have as they have been great to me and site run fine most of the time. The only reason i moved to A2B2 is because i live in the UK and so do all the people that are on my sites.

At the moment i can't really comment on A2B2 much more as i have only been using them a few days.

Seaniboy,

Did you opt for the Virtuozzo / UML solution @ A2B2?

Chris

Originally posted by RazorBlue - Chris
    Seaniboy,

Did you opt for the Virtuozzo / UML solution @ A2B2?

Chris
    Virtuozzo

I had a few probs when i first got the VPS, one was down to the server but they promtly moved me to another server and couple of other things mainly becuase i am still quite a novice when it comes to linux but support has been great so far.

I am on PowerVPS (CPanel 256Mb)

load is about 0.01-0.08 (dual operton)
    load raises when I do some builds - which is expectable
    system is between 32 and 37%

I have mod_dosevasive, complete rvskin serverwide antispam and antivirus solution, eAccelerator and about 15 sites running (half dynamic). I also have Ruby on Rails but not yet integrated with http.

Hi!
    All you have to do is say something about it, people.
    Providers are more than willing to adjust parameters within Virtuozzo as long as you are not trying to take more than "your fair share" of resources..or at least this has been my experieince.

The cold hard truth is many things won't even be able to install properly unless those settings are tweaked...and then...once the install is finished...whatever it is will never even begin to come close to using anywhere near those limits in everyday use.

Three weeks ago...when this phase two buildout began...I was given a VPS with, before I did anything, was not only using 82% of my allotted resources..but 67% of the memory.
    I told the provider to take a look at it...that there was no way this could be right...tada....21% memory/32% resources.

Many of you are with Servint...but I've never tried them...so I can't speak for them.

Bryon
    Last edited by bryonhost1; 08-12-2005 at 06:21 PM.

My Servint's VPS had had around 42 to 46% of the memory used. Servint certainly beats all others!
    Revo.in :: MyRevo.com
    Revolutionary Web Host, Programmer & Web Consultant
    Our Priorities - Client Satisfaction :: Quality Service :: Creative Growth ::

I bought recently a VPS (256MB, Cpanel) with slhost and the statistics are:

Server Load 0.04 (4 cpus)
    Memory Used 21.9 %
    Swap 0.999 %
    Disk vzfs (/) 6 %

VPS is (obviously) still empty (only one domain), but seems like settings are done pretty good...
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

Plan.B

23. Newsletters

Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!

Related Posts from theWHIR.com