I have been with rapidVPS for a few months now. I have so far used it for nothing but testing uptime and reliability before I migrate a fairly sizable (in traffic as opposed to bandwidth) site to their servers.
Apart from the odd hiccup here and there it has not been too bad. Until this week. MySQL was stopping randomly. Again and again. I could restart it via ssh in 5 seconds, and would start without error, but sure enough 5 mins later, dead again.
It turned out INNODB was running out of memory. Strange. My MySQL usage was so small it would barely be more than a few KB, and I apparently have a guaranteed 128MB of ram available to me. A quick 'free -m' showed the nasty details. Free memory, 20-30MB of 4037, Swap usage 100%. Yeah I know, 100% of 1.1 gig of swap.
So I sent them email after email trying to sort it out. Sure enough, finally things were working again. But I wanted to now what was wrong and how they fixed it.
Well no word on what caused the problem, but a quick updated "free -m" shows the stop-gap solution used to cover up whatever problem there is:
Swap: 3609 Available 2486 Used 1123 Free
Well bugger me. Seems like all they did was bump the swap to 3.5Gig, and looky looky, the swap usage is now 2.4Gig!!! The server might be up and running again, but this is certainly not a solution. Oh, but according to them:
This problem was solved by a support engineer early this morning. We have taken steps to ensure this does not occurr in the future. Thank you for your patience while we got this solved.
Call me a pessimist, but this is not what I call "taking steps to ensure this does not occurr in the future"
I think a move to a new VPS might be on the cards.