hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Dedicated Server : Most expensive Dedicated Server ....

Forum Jump

Most expensive Dedicated Server ....

Reply Post New Thread In Dedicated Server Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-2005, 11:47 PM
Web Hosting Master

Most expensive Dedicated Server ....

Hi all,

I dont know if you have heard of such a customized dedicated server
- 4u
-72 GB Sata
-Raid
- hardware firewall
-quad processor
-150GB bandwidth
-windows 2000 (lease)
-sql server 2000 (lease)
- daily backup services
... dont know the exact details.

But this is costing my friends company 5K USD per month!!! Anyone know of any dedicated server more expensive than this??

Joshua

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2005, 11:56 PM
Web Hosting Master

Isn't 150GB of bandwidth fall way short of what a dedicated should have? That kind of server should cost less than 1k. Geez, 5k can get me a few 100mbit unmetered servers with tier-1 bandwidth.

Old 03-29-2005, 12:16 AM
Web Hosting Master

Before some wild threads appear on this, they could have alot more going then meets the eye in terms of bandwidth quality, redundancy, service level agreements and management.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2005, 12:25 AM
Web Hosting Master

A quad processor configuration will *always* be very expensive. The SQL lease is another $200+. The hardware firewall will also cost a bit depending on the hardware used.

Sam

Old 03-29-2005, 12:28 AM
Aspiring Evangelist

Quote:
Originally posted by coconutboy
Geez, 5k can get me a few 100mbit unmetered servers with tier-1 bandwidth.

Wow... Its really sad that the expecations of some people are that low nowadays on here. If your getting more than 2 100 meg servers for 5k I'll give you a hint, YOUR NOT GETTING TIER 1 BANDWIDTH! Nor are you getting "tier-1" support. Although the 5k figure on this dedicated is moderately on the high side, They probably first bought the machine back before silly places like the planet were around. They also probably have an administration contract.

Despite popular belief on WHT, real dedicated server companies cant get a gig for 10$ a meg unless its straight cogent. Heck, even cogent is 30$ a meg on a 100 meg commit if your reselling.

Old 03-29-2005, 12:38 AM
Web Hosting Master

What does your friend use that machine for?

Old 03-29-2005, 12:56 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by f0urtyfive

Wow... Its really sad that the expecations of some people are that low nowadays on here. If your getting more than 2 100 meg servers for 5k I'll give you a hint, YOUR NOT GETTING TIER 1 BANDWIDTH! Nor are you getting "tier-1" support. Although the 5k figure on this dedicated is moderately on the high side, They probably first bought the machine back before silly places like the planet were around. They also probably have an administration contract.

Despite popular belief on WHT, real dedicated server companies cant get a gig for 10$ a meg unless its straight cogent. Heck, even cogent is 30$ a meg on a 100 meg commit if your reselling.
Actually, allmanaged.com had the grand opening special - Unmetered 100Mbit TIER-1 bandwidth for $1,596/month Celeren 2.4ghz 512MB 80G. Regular price is $1,995. It's also fully managed So, it isn't that low what I said

Old 03-29-2005, 01:11 AM
Aspiring Evangelist

I wouldnt really call Sagonet a Tier-1 Provider. They may use moderate quality bandwidth, but I'd say their far from Tier-1. They currently have GLBX and Level-3 and Transit Providers. How come they dont give you that information on their website?

Old 03-29-2005, 02:01 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by pergesu
What does your friend use that machine for?
It is used for hosting an application. Some dll or something.

Joshua

Old 03-29-2005, 02:43 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by f0urtyfive
I wouldnt really call Sagonet a Tier-1 Provider. They may use moderate quality bandwidth, but I'd say their far from Tier-1. They currently have GLBX and Level-3 and Transit Providers. How come they dont give you that information on their website?
I thought Level3 and Glbx are tier-1 providers?? and how can you say they are FAR from tier-1..do you mean it's Tier-2 then?

Old 03-29-2005, 03:48 AM
Retired Moderator

150 GB of bandwidth isn't actually short, it depends on where you are. In USA yes it is short, but for a lot of other countries, 150 GB is a lot already. Normally application servers may not use a lot of bandwidth but some do require a lot of processing power.

Quote:
Isn't 150GB of bandwidth fall way short of what a dedicated should have? That kind of server should cost less than 1k. Geez, 5k can get me a few 100mbit unmetered servers with tier-1 bandwidth.

Old 03-29-2005, 04:14 AM
Web Hosting Master

This is a very well known data center in USA. And this server will server almost every part of the world....

Joshua

Old 03-29-2005, 05:06 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Rackspace servers come standard with 100GB of transfer. Dedicated servers are the same as virtual hosting, there are more costs involved than bandwidth.

Sagonet may have tier-1 providers, doesnt mean that their internal network is tier-1 quality though...

Old 03-29-2005, 09:40 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:

Not if it's an European server which I reckon it is... this is usally seen as sufficent (and often it is) and if it's not businesses are often prepared to pay for the additional bandwidth....

Old 03-29-2005, 03:53 PM
Web Hosting Master

I agree 100% with Neosurge. You can't just compare hardware and bandwidth for pricing. What kind of service, support, guarantees of uptime, hardware replacement, etc.???

All of the above cost money. Most "intelligently run" companies look at items like the above as follows:

If this server goes down, what will the cost to the business be?

If it is down for 1 min, 10mins, 60mins, 24hrs, etc.

If the answer is more than the cost of the service, it is worthwhile (in most cases), to pay the fee.

Proudly Hosting with CANADIAN bandwidth
Managed Hosting, Multi-Domain Hosting, Colocation, Merchant Accounts

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Web Hosting Sales and Promos Roundup - May 23, 2014 Web Hosting News 2014-05-23 17:06:57
Exabytes Network Listing 2014-01-23 08:24:15
Codero Hosting Listing 2014-01-08 23:16:21
Web Host ServInt Launches Line of Semi-Dedicated, Fully Managed Servers Web Hosting News 2013-01-14 11:06:33
Web Host Milesweb Launches Dedicated Server Hosting in India Web Hosting News 2012-12-31 10:53:51