Thread: Outsourced DNS

Outsourced DNS

Hey hey!

I currently use mydomain.com for DNS management, but I doesn't really feel comfortable with them..

I've been looking a little at dnsmadeeasy.com, they seems to have a great service, but they seem a little small.. started in 2001 and so on.. I don't know, is there any better solution?

The price doesn't really matter, I want the best!

Anything to recommend except for zoneedit which I don't like.

Can anyone recommend dnsmadeeasy for an mission critical business?

Thanks!

wrong post...
    DedicatedPlace.com - The Only Place to be...
    Sales@DedicatedPlace.com * Affordable, No Setup Fee, Fully Managed Dedicated Servers with Daily Remote Backup. External Server Management & Monitoring also available.

Re: Outsourced DNS

Originally posted by 2net
    Hey hey!

I currently use mydomain.com for DNS management, but I doesn't really feel comfortable with them..

I've been looking a little at dnsmadeeasy.com, they seems to have a great service, but they seem a little small.. started in 2001 and so on.. I don't know, is there any better solution?

The price doesn't really matter, I want the best!

Anything to recommend except for zoneedit which I don't like.

Can anyone recommend dnsmadeeasy for an mission critical business?

Thanks!

I am with dnsmadeasy and have had good luck with them, you can also try zoneedit I thought I they have been around for a while.

2net I would suggest simply asking around to some reputable hosts and see if they would offer you dns hosting across multiple servers (as most hosts do have plenty of servers in several datacenters). I would say that would be your best bet to find something truely mission critical.

-Justin

DNSMadeEasy was designed by the guys that run DNSstuff.com/DNSreport.com I think, which are pretty reliable and informative websites so you can probably expect good things from them.

I agree though that pretty much anyone can do very reliable clustered DNS. We've got nameservers in quite a few different DC's and because it's all independant apart from when sync occurrs, the chance of anything going wrong is virtually zero, just goes to prove you really don't need something rediculously complicated to make sure your sites resolve 100% of the time.

Dan
    Last edited by dkitchen; 03-27-2005 at 10:25 PM.
    █ Dan Kitchen | Technical Director | Razorblue
    █ ddi: (+44) (0)1748 900 680 | e: dkitchen@razorblue.com
    █ UK Intensive Managed Hosting, Clusters and Colocation.
    █ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).

We've used UltraDNS for several years and have been very pleased with their service. They're one of the more expensive third party DNS providers, but they have a blue chip list of clients and we've had no reason to consider anyone else. If you ever need more advanced DNS services like geographic load balancing, hot failover, etc. they can accommodate that as well.

Check out DollarDNS. It's got the most flexible zone manager of any such service I've ever come across, and the guy that runs it knows EVERYTHING about DNS.

I would take a look at EasyDNS (http://www.easydns.com).

Their primary business is focusing on providing DNS related services. They are now a fully accredited ICANN registrar too.

They are probably one of the best DNS providers out there

- Chris

Couldnt your registrar host your DNS? Like Godaddy or Network Solutions, if you already have a domain name with them DNS hosting is free.

Hey hey!

What makes you feel funky about their DNS service. DNS is like falling off of a log.
    Ray Womack @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

.....but they seem a little small.. started in 2001 and so on..
    Oh, give me a break. Many fine WHT'ers were in Diapers in 2001, and for that matter, so was the internet.
    Ray Womack @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

Originally posted by Adrnalnrsh
    Couldnt your registrar host your DNS? Like Godaddy or Network Solutions, if you already have a domain name with them DNS hosting is free.
    I would be very careful about using Godaddy's DNS service. My broker's website (www.questrade.com) has been down the whole day because their DNS servers were not resolving. I think they have since switched to easydns.com

Thank you everyone for your thoughts on dns providers!

Sounds like I can pick any of the suggested providers. Seems like they will all keep their promises..

I'll probably go with DNSMadeEasy.com since they have alot of of great features as well as low pricing..

Thank you!!

Re: Re: Outsourced DNS

Originally posted by PSFServers
    Oh, give me a break. Many fine WHT'ers were in Diapers in 2001, and for that matter, so was the internet.
    Maybe the date feature on your PC is broken, but its only 2005, and the net was hardly in its "Diapers" (relative to current time) in 2001 to say the least, unless you consider the Internet in pull-ups now that is..
    Myles Loosley-Millman - admin@prioritycolo.com
    Priority Colo Inc. - Affordable Colocation & Dedicated Servers.
    Two Canadian facilities serving Toronto & Markham, Ontario
    http://www.prioritycolo.com