hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : VPS Hosting : Will a unixshell.com 64 or 96 plan serve my needs?

Forum Jump

Will a unixshell.com 64 or 96 plan serve my needs?

Reply Post New Thread In VPS Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-27-2005, 06:16 AM
WHT Addict

Will a unixshell.com 64 or 96 plan serve my needs?

I want to set up a personal server for development purposes.

My main interest is to set up a qmail system, learn about firewalls, set up a subversion repository, and some CMSs to document my activities.

Can a 64 or a 96 perform those tasks adequately?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2005, 08:29 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

From what I've read, the 64 will only handle static html pages with proficancy, and even in their faq they state that it's really only useful for *nix testing, and nameservers.

this thread shows them talking about it, and this faq talks about their uses.

Quote:
Q: What is the point of a server with so little (ie. 32 or 64MB) RAM? What can I use it for?
A: The 32MB and 64MB plans are designed to allow anybody on the internet access to a stable server on a well performing network. A few uses include experimenting with and testing software under different operating systems, hosting small static websites, and DNS services. Our higher end plans are fully capable of driving heavy traffic dynamic web sites and web applications.
Sounds like the 96 would be your best bet, since CMSs would require a VPS with a bit more power. I admit, I've been oogling their 32 and 64 plans, myself, for DNS purposes (haven't caved into temptation yet, don't actually need another set of DNSs). However, I'm not sure that they're at the point yet where they can handle their customer influx. Last I heard, they were being overwhelmed by the sheer dump of people signing up for their services. So personally, I'm going to wait until the dust settles.

Old 03-27-2005, 01:39 PM
Web Hosting Master

Hi,

If it's just for personal needs and is not actively (as in, not providing heavy public access) being used the 64 should be fine.

I can recommend doing some tuning to reduce memory usage of your VM... ie. use the my-small.cnf config file for your MySQL server and tune httpd to only start 2 children initially (and fork more as needed).

As far as demand, it's still high... we can handle some 32 and 64 accounts right now, maybe a 96 or two. 128+ plans are on hold for about 3-6 days.

www.togglebox.com

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2005, 03:56 PM
Junior Guru

Good! I ordered a 32 two days ago, and have been waiting for my confirmation email.

Old 03-27-2005, 04:00 PM
Web Hosting Master

Should be setup. I believe all pending setups were completed around an hour ago. If you got skipped somehow send in a ticket...

www.togglebox.com

Old 03-27-2005, 06:51 PM
Junior Guru

Got it. I'm happily serving pages from my brand-new 32, using lighttpd. It's very nice!

Old 03-27-2005, 10:12 PM
Web Hosting Master

Congrats! Welcome to the community!

www.togglebox.com

Old 03-28-2005, 12:09 AM
Aspiring Evangelist

I have been working with a 32mb account for a couple of weeks now. I have found it quite acceptable for the light work I've requested of it so far.

Ping times to my VM from my cable modem in North Carolina are better than my reseller account with another reputable company:
Quote:
Ping statistics for MY.IP.ADDR.ESS:
Packets: Sent = 127, Received = 127, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 20ms, Maximum = 50ms, Average = 29ms
Every once in a while I notice some lag, but Matt assures me my VM would get more CPU time if I upgraded to a higher plan.

Old 03-28-2005, 02:51 AM

I'd love to hear some about people's experiences with lighttpd (and/or thttpd) on lower-end RAM VPSes, like unixshell. Can lighttpd handle decent loads even on something < 128? With PHP/MySql?

-d

Old 03-28-2005, 11:02 AM
Aspiring Evangelist

I have a few small websites (one with php but no mysql) on my unixshell 64 plan. It also servers as my mail server with one account on IMAP, 2 on pop3 and some forwarders.

I don't have any preformance problems at all. Its a trimmed debian testing os.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Box Doubles Storage for Free Plan, Launches $5 Enterprise Plan Web Hosting News 2013-08-22 13:32:27
ICANN Announces Plans to Add Six New Representatives in Africa Web Hosting News 2013-03-12 14:43:02
Infinitely Virtual Launches Two Reseller Programs Web Hosting News 2013-03-06 10:39:54
Infinitely Virtual Moves Backup Data Center to Boston to Serve East Coast Clients Web Hosting News 2013-01-30 15:57:03
UK Web Host PEER 1 Launches Zunicore-Powered Hybrid Cloud Platform Web Hosting News 2012-06-12 11:57:36