Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1

    Goodbye L40, where to next?

    After experiencing many problems with L40.net (namely, non-responsiveness from support), I'm looking for a new host. I signed up with DixieSys / 8-95 today, only to find out they don't allow SSH access. (Ignorant me, I assumed this was a standard feature like FTP). What's a good host in that price range (around $10/month) that offers SSH, and multiple domains with no setup charge?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Los Gatos
    Posts
    587
    SSH isn't as prevelent as it used to be, you will find that most kiddie hosts don't have authority to offer it and the big players, just don't allow it. Jailed shell has limitations and is offered by many. I imagine some will jump on your offer of 10.00 per month and I would be weary of those that do with your requirements. If you find someone that offers root ssh with multiple domains and space of a gig or more, I would suggest doing daily backups to your desktop, cause the odds just aren't in anyones favor in that scenario, IMO.
    Server$Hit.com Reseller/Hosting For Real People
    WebHostingAccess Trial Accounts Upon Request
    www.ForALaugh.com Get over IT Get over yourself
    Yahoo IM: concreteseller | Toll Free Support: 1-888-603-5305 | Like the Maytag repairman

  3. #3
    Jail shell is fine. I certainly don't need root! I thought SSH was just a secure telnet, and the shell was the command line processor (like bash, tcsh, etc.). I use it all the time on our FutureQuest accounts at work. Basically, it's easier and faster to just login via SSH to perform some maintenance. I upload a tarball to the server and untar it via SSH, etc.

    I don't really need more than say 250MB of space, and no more than 3 gigs of transfer per month. (Really not even that, I just don't want to feel limited). I would probably be just fine on the $9.95 DixieSys.com plan if they had SSH and multiple domains on those accounts. Those have 200 MB and 3gig transfer. I just went with the $8.95 deal because it was less and I didn't need the guaranteed uptime on this account.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,219
    Try submitting your hosting request to HostVoice.com you'll get web hosts to reply via e-mail matching the account you need. Be sure to research any web hosts that reply, here on WHT.
    ‹‹SHAW NETWORKS›› Simple. Professional. Reliable. Web Hosting Done Right.
    Low Cost & Award-Winning: cPanel Reseller Plans ›› 24/7/365 Live Technical Support ‹‹
    Website: www.shawnetworks.com Fast Response E-mail: sales @ shawnetworks.com
    Sick of downtime? Fed up with excuses? Drop your host! Switch to Shaw Networks.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Los Gatos
    Posts
    587
    those requirements shouldn't bee too hard to fill even at that price. How many domains were you going to have, some people offer unlimeted domains(how?) and others may be flexible on the number. I do believe hostvoice handles all the requests through WHT at this time and can be found on top of the page in the find a host link above. Good luck on your search, jailed shell does work about 80 percent of the time, and a good host will gladly deal with the other 20%. Might even check out the advertising forums here on WHT at http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumd...p?s=&forumid=4
    Server$Hit.com Reseller/Hosting For Real People
    WebHostingAccess Trial Accounts Upon Request
    www.ForALaugh.com Get over IT Get over yourself
    Yahoo IM: concreteseller | Toll Free Support: 1-888-603-5305 | Like the Maytag repairman

  6. #6
    I only need 4 domains hosted. Thanks for the advice, I might try posting there. I'm still waiting on one more email response from DixieSys. It's a shame, I had my Southern heart all set on going with them!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    New York.
    Posts
    773
    Some hosts will enable Jail shell if you ask. Just send an email to tech support first... You have a good price range, and should be able to receive quality service.

    Best of luck.
    GenerousWebHosting.com Home of Generous George the Red Monster.
    24/7 Live Chat Support - 99.9% Uptime - 30 Day Money Back Policy

  8. Newsletters

    Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!

Related Posts from theWHIR.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •