Domain name purchase

I used to be the owner of www.xione.net, and used to run a web hosting business from it.
    Late last year i let it expire, which i do now regret. Well last week to my suprise someone had registered it and it is pointed to domaincontender.

I emailed the point of contact asking how much they would want for the domain, he wants $400!!! Now this value is supposed to be an independant appraisal.

How much would you guys think this domain is really worth?

Thanks
    Last edited by essexguy; 03-24-2005 at 07:59 AM.

Actually you posted in wrong section, you should have posted in "Domain Name Appraisals" section. Hopefully Moderators will move it there soon.

As for the domain name I do not see much value in it, unless you have it developed and you have traffic. At the moment I doubt it is worth more than $30.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

yep your right and i should know better . asking mods to move it

Originally posted by maxo
    Actually you posted in wrong section, you should have posted in "Domain Name Appraisals" section. Hopefully Moderators will move it there soon.

As for the domain name I do not see much value in it, unless you have it developed and you have traffic. At the moment I doubt it is worth more than $30.
    yes thats what i thought. i would like to get this domain back, mainly for sentimental purposes, but also with the possibility of using the name again as I am registering a company in the uk as xione networks.
    so in theory it would have more value to me than anyone else, but $400 is just friggin rediculous.

Originally posted by essexguy
    so in theory it would have more value to me than anyone else, but $400 is just friggin rediculous.
    To you perhaps. But to the current owner, it's irrelevant how you
    feel about it.

Good luck getting it.

Originally posted by essexguy
    i would like to get this domain back, mainly for sentimental purposes, but also with the possibility of using the name again as I am registering a company in the uk as xione networks.
    To be honest, JUST BECAUSE you are personally "attached" to this domain AND that you will be using it for a registered company name, xione.net is worth way much more than $400, esp. if you let the current owner know about this. Good luck.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

Originally posted by nameslave
    To be honest, JUST BECAUSE you are personally "attached" to this domain AND that you will be using it for a registered company name, xione.net is worth way much more than $400, esp. if you let the current owner know about this. Good luck.
    i suppose thats how people who buy expired domains make a living, and they cant be blamed for that.
    i have made an offer of $50 which i think is fair.

we'll see what happens, but hey my fault for letting it expire. i didnt realise how quickly these companies like domain contender snap up domains like this.

I think that $50 is not enough for that domain if it used to
    receive some traffic and if it has been promoted in the past.
    Therefore you should offer the seller a bit more than that.
    And you should not tell him that you are the former owner
    of the domain, because then he would never sell it for less
    than his asking price, I guess. The domain itself isn't worth
    much, but it's the traffic and popularity it might have been
    receiving and which it might still receive. So: good luck with
    acquiring your domain name!
    Sincerely, Dominik
    Domain Brokerage

its your mistake, better learn from this mistake in future
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Originally posted by Bashar
    its your mistake, better learn from this mistake in future
    while i appreciate the advise, i had already stated it was my mistake a couple of posts up

but hey thats life.

they came back with a counter offer of $150 (cant really mean that much to them if they came down that much)
    I'm not budging from $50 to be honest, after reading some threads in the domains forum about squatters i don't feel as angry.

It was my domain, i let it expire, someone else now owns it. end of.

good luck finding new one
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Originally posted by hackhawk
    Because of their status as a registrar, they can acquire domain names for virtually nothing
    Not meant to be rude, but you may want to straighten some facts first.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

Actually, let's back up a second here. Do you all understand what this is all about? Domain Contender bought your address to cyber squat right? It's a company it seems not some "guy" who took the name. Ethical? Not. Legal? Please tell me.

Surely this can't be legal. Perhaps since this is my first post I'm sounding "newbie" on this. I'm ranting because Domain Contender seems to have squatted on me, and also pulled a fast one. Appeared on their actual site that the domain existed. Yes, click on "buy" or checkout and guess what? The name disappeared. Yep, it's not available. Hmm.

So if you look at the bigger picture, don't toss this type of issue off to the side. This is total **** from my window. I'm guessing that there is a way for someone to track "whois" inquiries? I'm guessing that popular inquiries attract a company like Domain Contender to squat and say okay, I have no use for this name, but I have it now, what are you going to offer me to get it? Get me a lawyer.