Comparison of Authorize.net to eProcessingNetwork?

Is there any website or documents that compare:

authorize.net -vs- eProcessingNetwork

I've recently set up a merchant account with www.cdgcommerce.com and I see that they offer a few different gateways. I'm just wondering if some are better then others, etc...

eProcessingNetwork seems to have an authorize.net "emulation mode", so that would mean I can use it for any program/script that is set up for authorize.net, right? Is there an advantage to eProcessingNetwork over authorize.net?
    We are eNom PLATINUM PLUS resellers!
    Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account with lowest possible pricing.
    * We provide support and service to over 4275 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

I can tell you from firsthand experience that both gateways are definitely solid systems.

I'd say that the main benefit of Authorize.Net is that it is universally compatible with virtually all 3rd party applications on the market today and is often a "built-in" module for many.

However, in my opinion, ePN provides more "bang for the buck" while offering all of the same benefits of Authorize.Net including the AuthNet emulation mode that you mentioned above.

I've seen folks who have written AuthNet modules and code for years take only a few minutes and convert it easily to work with ePN. You can find info on how easy it is by looking at this doc:
    http://www.eprocessingnetwork.com/an.html

Literally, you just need to re-point where the AuthNet-written code POSTS the transaction request to and you are basically done.

The only time that this is difficult is if the module code for AuthNet for your app happens to be encoded - in which case you'll need the developer to mod it. (This is an important thing to verify, of course, before making a decision as to which gateway you want to use.)

The other nice thing about ePN is that the automated recurring billing system can be bundled at no additional cost - unlike Authorize.Net which usually costs $40 setup + $20/month extra for that system alone.

In addition, ePN has a few built in fraud controls that are very useful to protect against credit card testers and other abuse - this is also available on AuthNet but it is part of their optional Fraud Detection Suite which costs extra.

Lastly... ePN is pretty versatile in that it offers a very easy option for doing Retail Swipe transactions by connecting a mag stripe reader USB device, as well as supporting wireless card present trans through any of the many mobile/wireless phones & PDA's that it supports.

So that's my two cents worth on comparing the two.
    CDGcommerce.com - Trusted Merchant Account Solutions since 1998
    Many thousands of successful, growing businesses benefit from our expertise every day. You can, too!
    We help merchants to eliminate gateway costs, reduce & mitigate fraud and achieve streamlined PCI compliance.
    Learn more today at http://www.cdgcommerce.com - we look forward to helping your business grow!

Thanks for the excellent review.

May I ask what is the difference in cost? Some gateways seem to have a 1st xyz transactions free gimmick. Does ePN have anything similar? What is the monthly minimum? Is there an extra fee for AVS or CVV check?

Thanks again!
    We are eNom PLATINUM PLUS resellers!
    Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account with lowest possible pricing.
    * We provide support and service to over 4275 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

I personally have always used Authorize.net because of how easily it integrates with any software without having to do any work at all. I chose that over the other features of EPN. Authorize.net has worked great for me. Their live chat is usually staffed whenever I have been on.

EPN has a setup fee of around $75.00 and and a monthly gateway fee of $15.00. Included in their month fee you receive 250 transactions for the month. If you go above the 251 per month it's $0.10 per transaction.

The pricing for ePN, like a lot of gateways including AuthNet, is determined by the reseller who is offering it.

While some may offer it for $75 setup fee, others will charge different amounts or waive the setup fee completely. The same is true for features like the ePNRecur.

It all depends on which provider you go through as to what the gateway fee is for ePN and its various value-added services.
    Many thousands of successful, growing businesses benefit from our expertise every day. You can, too!
    We help merchants to eliminate gateway costs, reduce & mitigate fraud and achieve streamlined PCI compliance.
    Learn more today at http://www.cdgcommerce.com - we look forward to helping your business grow!

EPN has the exact same API, so if software works for Authorize.Net it will work with EPN with little or no modification. We have both an Authorize.Net and EPN account, I like the Authorize.Net web interface for looking up batches, and etc. But EPN works fine, but their web interface just leaves a lot to be desired. I've never seen either of them down. We've been with EPN for almost 3 years. We wrote a slightly customized API to use it with ModernBill well before it was supported, and we've been usign them ever since.
    Premier Voice and Data Services for Discriminating Service Providers:
    Optimized Fastest-Path BGP IP | Wholesale VoIP | Mission Critical Colocation

We have just switched from iTransact to ePN through CDGCommerce. We are experiencing the cvv not processed problem and Chris is helping us to get this solved.

It is nice to read this comparison as we are not familiar with ePN. Just from the web site appearance, the ePN web site is really ugly and not look as professional as the authorize.net. I don't really know how reputable ePN is despite all these benefits.

However, it is good to hear from Union Datacom that they've been using EPN for 3 years with no problem - that means their service is stable, but we did feel that ePN takes longer to process each order than iTransact.

Thank you very much for the information that you share.

It's an ugly site, and the GUI for the back-end is not much better, but they are totally invisible once your setup, we never have any problems, we never know they are there, I don't get any spam from them like I do Authorize.Net either. It just works. If you just need a CC processor, and don't need a lot of API integration support then they are a wise choice. I have zero complaints.

Now, if you want to talk about Merchant Banks then I have nothing nice to say about Card Service International, but Redwoods has treated us at least fair. We are using EPN with Redwoods now as a primary, although we keep multiple processors just in case. We had a processor lock our account down once over a < $100.00 chargeback, even though we did 30K a month on that account. It took two weeks to get resolved, in our favor, meanwhile the batches were just filling their accounts, and they then held out a $1,500.00 “deposit” for 6-months to be refunded if we had no more charge backs. That was the first one in a year.

I have found that as soon as you say “Web” or “Online” …much less “Hosting” you get sent to some high-risk service provider, so due be careful with the merchant banks. Those tend to be hard to get along with, and require twice as much paperwork to get anything done.

It is quite true that most acquiring banks don't feel comfortable with Internet merchants - to say the least.

Part of the reason is that Internet merchants are an entirely different type of processing compared to the more typical "bricks and mortar" accounts.

The risk management, chargeback processing, fraud detection and technical integration are a night and day difference between the two and most banks are not at all well versed in it.

So it is definitely good advice to work with a processor who is experienced and very comfortable in working with Internet merchants.

Chris,

I noticed that cdgcommerce really likes eProcessingnetwork. I don't understand why it is so slow to process with ePN. When I place an order using AMEX, it takes me 10-14 seconds to get the approved/declined result. Any idea why it is so slow? I am on RoadRunner cable.

We are on 1000/Mbs fiber...multihomed to a dozen carriers, it's still kinda slow sometimes, and instant other times. No idea why though, but I doubt it's your end, it might be the Visa/MastCard end of things.

Yep, as UnionDatacom mentions - any speed issues would generally be on the gateway or processing network side of the equation as opposed to your own connection speed.

If you run into any latency issues, feel free to shoot us a support ticket and reference your account and we can speak with ePN about it... they have been very fast to respond to us whenever we've brought up a technical concern or issue.

Chris,

ePN might have the most free features, but it is really annoying to have the "cvv not processed" problem for over a week since first reported. Now Amex still has the problem. I am really in doubt if it is worth to use them. We can't go live yet because of this.

The CVV Not Processed problem has been fixed by ePN. We had put an update re: this up on our MerchantPortal area, please let us know if you still experience any problems at all. Thanks!

Chris,

Please read my post above. American Express cards still have "cvv not processed" problem. Mastercard and Visa work now. I also emailed to support@cdgcommerce.com yesterday... Please check.

Thank you!

You are absolutely correct. We looked into it immediately per your ticket and there is still a remaining issue on Amex trans with CVV.

ePN is working on it as we speak and I think they will have this resolved very shortly. Thank you for pointing this out to us, it is appreciated.