hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : WHT Announcements, Feedback and Questions : ok, im getting tired of this

Forum Jump

ok, im getting tired of this

Reply Post New Thread In WHT Announcements, Feedback and Questions Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Web Hosting Master

ok, im getting tired of this

ever since site5 came out with their cutesy banners, ive noticed everyone else is trying to copy them.

im just tired of it.

do people really think replicating someone elses idea is going to bring an effective ROI?

i think you should put this down in your rules...

Last edited by Project X; 03-22-2005 at 08:46 AM.

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

Apparently its effective in how it works.

I dont like the idea of everyone copying them, but I guess it's be expected if the banners actually work.

Old
Disabled

If it bothers you so much just block the banners.

I personally never even notice the banners.

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Evangelist

Re: ok, im getting tired of this

Quote:
Originally posted by LaurenStephens.com
ever since site5 came out with their cutesy banners, ive noticed everyone else is trying to copy them.

im just tired of it.

do people really think replicating someone elses idea is going to bring an effective ROI?

i think you should put this down in your rules...
Quote:
cop·y
An imitation or reproduction of an original; a duplicate: a copy of a painting; made two copies of the letter.
Maybe you need to refresh your mind on what copy actualy means. Yes they are similar but by no means a copy Site5 + Hostrocket have simply started a craze and people are using them for inspiration.

If you have a serious problem with them then block them.

Old
Retired Moderator

What banners?

Old
Web Hosting Master

Lauren, I somewhat share your view here. I like advertising and I always notice it due to my professional interest. I agree that its been a bit too much with how everyone follows Site5 in their idea. Advertising is supposed to be creative, not plain and boring (especially what it becomes when an idea was executed before).

Best,

Is your company represented?

Old
Community Liaison

Everywhere you go, someone's copying someone... The funny banner thing will get old fast since now since everyone is doing it.

Old
Eternal Member

Hey All,

Rod (Site5's co-founder and brand manager) and I have noticed the same trend as well. The rapid adoption of this tactic by so many other companies--many of whom were originally naysayers--has served as quite a validation. We're even encouraging people to report "me too" advertising tactics to us so we can keep abreast of variations on the theme.

But really these banners were the tip of the iceberg. We didn't just "get lucky" (no reference to banners intended ) with this idea. Rod and I have a ton of new ideas, several of which Site5 is actively working to implement. These are much more than witty banner ideas--these are real ideas that we believe have revolutionary potential. However in developing these ideas, we tapped into the same "out of the box" creative energy that was used in coming up with the concept for these banners.

We see these banners only as a very small piece of Site5's overall branding objectives. This is not an isolated attempt at getting a high banner CTR (although some of the banners did exceedingly well), but instead the beginning of a deliberate and focused push for consumer awareness of Site5's name and reputation.

True branding is not something that can be accomplished through individual advertising campaigns, and it certainly doesn't come overnight. By definition, branding involves thinking on a grand scale--deliberately orchestrating synergy between a company's seemingly unrelated parts. It shouldn't be limited in scope to advertising; a company seeking to build a brand on the back of their advertising budget is sadly misguided. A meaningful brand requires coordination between every person in the company: if one of our team members isn't on the same page as me and Rod, Site5 will be failing to build our brand effectively.

I certainly don't mean to come off as preachy here--I consider myself a student of marketing, not an authority by any means. However I simply wanted to clear the air about our intentions with this campaign. We're not planning on milking the idea for all its worth and releasing new witty banners every week for the rest of time. Besides, it seems there are many other companies who are doing a fine job of killing the idea's novelty. I can assure everyone that while our competitors are scrambling to catch up on the "witty banner" front, we're forging ahead and building a whole new fleet of bandwagons--enough to keep everyone on their toes for quite a good while.

Thanks for all the interest and feedback thus far--it's really nice to see us still mentioned by name despite the dozens of look-alikes out there.

Matt

- Really honestly wants to be a good WHT citizen but can never remember all the correct etiquette. Mods, sorry in advance

Old
Older than the Internet

Matt,

With baited anticipation, we await your coming ideas on the world of effective branding. It's good to see you're getting creative, and having fun too.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Matt, what an excellent post and its nice to see someone fully understand what branding is.

Is your company represented?

Old
Web Hosting Master

Agreed! Excellent post Matt. Thanks so much for contributing to the thread!

Old
Web Hosting Master

Site5-Matt, can you post an example of one of these banners so I can see what's being discussed?

Thanks.

Old
Disabled

Yeah it is unfortunately a bad thing that some people out there copy other peoples work. Too bad there isnt a way to protect it.

Old
Older than the Internet

Quote:
Originally posted by livengood
Yeah it is unfortunately a bad thing that some people out there copy other peoples work. Too bad there isnt a way to protect it.
Ummm, no offence to Matt and his madmen of branding but Matt didn't think of that idea. It's been done extensively before, but just not done on WHT in that format.

I'm an avid student of branding, and keen to see what Matt and crew come up with in their ongoing branding efforts.

I suppose we'll see Matt holding up a big Site5 sign for the morning TV show, NBC Today, outside Rockefella Plaza.

Old
Web Hosting Master

now that would be branding!

Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Bob
Ummm, no offence to Matt and his madmen of branding but Matt didn't think of that idea. It's been done extensively before, but just not done on WHT in that format.

I'm an avid student of branding, and keen to see what Matt and crew come up with in their ongoing branding efforts.

I suppose we'll see Matt holding up a big Site5 sign for the morning TV show, NBC Today, outside Rockefella Plaza.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
ProfitBricks Reduces Cloud Infrastructure Prices by 30 Percent Web Hosting News 2014-10-23 14:21:49
5 Ways Service Providers Can Win (and Keep) Small Business Customers Web Hosting News 2014-09-08 11:36:03