hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Domain Names : renewing without tripling the price

Forum Jump

renewing without tripling the price

Reply Post New Thread In Domain Names Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old

renewing without tripling the price

my domain will expire in 30 or 40 days, and i'd like to renew. however, my DNS provider charges way more for a renewal than they did for the first year. i got the first year for $4 or so. lots of other places still sell new domains for around $4, but i can't find one that will transfer the domain for the same price. i just want to extend another year for about $4, and the only service i need to go along with it is something to point the browser to the real location of my website, which is located on my schools server. maybe a domain name cloaking or somehting like that so you can actually type in folder names on the domain name (anyone know what that's called?)

anyway, does anyone know of a good place that will transfer my domain and not hook me into either giving it up or paying double next year?

www.brentonboy.net

http://homepage.westmont.edu/bstrine/

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

Sometimes it is easier to transfer away to another registrar. I think RegisterFly runs 5.50 transfer specials on occasion

Old
Mobile Multimedia Minimalist

The truth is: those below-the-cost registration fees (like anything less than $6) are BY DESIGN loss leaders that won't last forever, unless you start ordering hosting service with them. Just think: why wouldn't anybody give out a domain name at a price that is lower than their cost?? That is also why it is VERY difficult (if not impossible) to find transfer/renewal offers at that rate.

Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

why a double post?

Old

that was a mistake, it got put in two different forums, and the moderators moved it to this forum.

Old
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by nameslave
The truth is: those below-the-cost registration fees (like anything less than $6) are BY DESIGN loss leaders that won't last forever, unless you start ordering hosting service with them. Just think: why wouldn't anybody give out a domain name at a price that is lower than their cost?? That is also why it is VERY difficult (if not impossible) to find transfer/renewal offers at that rate.
so true , some even charge transfer ot fee which is 3 times more than original regfee

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
does anyone know of a good place that will transfer my domain and not hook me into either giving it up or paying double next year?
Your under the misaprehension that you are paying double this year when in fact what actually happened was you paid half last year.

A company has to turn a profit to stay in business so don't gripe when they won't continue to sell you something for less than it is costing them

Old

Quote:
Originally posted by Goldwing
Your under the misaprehension that you are paying double this year when in fact what actually happened was you paid half last year.

A company has to turn a profit to stay in business so don't gripe when they won't continue to sell you something for less than it is costing them
come on, it doesnt' cost $4 for them to regester a domain.

Old
Mobile Multimedia Minimalist

Quote:
Originally posted by brentonboy
If you are talking about .com or .net, it costs more than $6 each even for accredited registrars. Where do you get the idea that it would cost less??

Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

Old
Retired Moderator

even .org and .biz is $5.5+/name

people just throwing guesses here and there based on nothing

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by brentonboy
Do us a favour, at least have a clue about what you are talking about before you post. That will save you a lot of embarrassment later.

Old
Web Hosting Master

the only exception is .info where affilias is running a special as low as .99 to registrars

Old
Retired Moderator

yeah after their free campaign

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Cloud Price Cuts Leave Customers Confused, Annoyed: Peer 1 Report Web Hosting News 2014-10-30 12:30:52
ICANN Suspends Brandon Gray Internet Services, Demands it Stop Sending Deceptive Marketing Materials Web Hosting News 2014-07-23 08:38:07
Web Hosting Sales and Promos - June 13, 2014 Web Hosting News 2014-06-13 18:30:39
AWS Leads Public Cloud Price Reductions in 2013: RightScale Report Web Hosting News 2014-03-24 15:16:30
Superb Internet Introduces Price Match Guarantee for Hosting Services Web Hosting News 2013-03-22 12:36:38