Dedicated Server Processor Recommended

Hello Folks,
    If you want to buy dedicated server, what processor do you choose for dedicated?
    Intel P4, Intel Celeron, Intel Xeon, AMD XP, or AMD Sempron ?

Best Regards,
    Joko Frank Octo

heres a rough description of each cpu - everyone correct these if im wrong

Intel P4 = intels main desktop/server cpu for medium to high end apps, recommended if you are just starting up as a host

Intel Celeron = Intels base low-end cpu, not really powerful enough to run a server which gets a lot of hits or hosts alot of people

Intel Xeon = intels high end cpu, designed to be able to cope with just about anything, also has a higher amount of on board cache than P4 and celeron which makes it able to work quicker.

AMD XP = AMD's competition for P3/P4 but not really recommended for servers because they have a habit of overheating.

AMD Sempron = AMD's competition for the Celeron, and the replacement for the duron, is slightly better than celeron but not by much so most of what i said for celeron counts here aswell

hope that helps

You need to list what type of site you are making for a more accurate assessment. Heck, you might host just one page with 5 words and a Pentium could suit ya!

JFOC,

It all depends on what you are going to use the dedicated server for.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

For hosting website, may be around 300 website will be hosted on server

300 mini websites? I would recommend in that case the Pentium 4 - Xeon as candidates. A nice 3.0 Ghz P4 should do it. But I strongly reccommend getting enough RAM as to keep it comfy with that many individual sites. If you get linux, 512 MB; Windows, 768 MB; FreeBSD (or any flavor you like), 512, meybe 384 if you are daring and dont want room for expansion. *Note, those are minimums suggested

FreeBSD might be your best bet to host that many small sites too.

Originally posted by latefreight
    300 mini websites? I would recommend in that case the Pentium 4 - Xeon as candidates. A nice 3.0 Ghz P4 should do it. But I strongly reccommend getting enough RAM as to keep it comfy with that many individual sites. If you get linux, 512 MB; Windows, 768 MB; FreeBSD (or any flavor you like), 512, meybe 384 if you are daring and dont want room for expansion. *Note, those are minimums suggested

FreeBSD might be your best bet to host that many small sites too.
    Not all mini websites, it's various from mini, midle, big. I choose 1GB for RAM, and 2.4GHz for Processor.

sounds safe for me! 2.4 Ghz P4 or Xeon?

I would focus more on your IO then on your CPU type. You'll find that a nice SCSI/SATA disk will make a bigger difference for hosting than CPU will most of the time.
    Spry Virtual Server/VPS Hosting
    Linux Dedicated Resource Virtual Servers, Virtual Private Servers, WHM / cPanel Licensing
    VPSLink Cheap VPS XEN and OpenVZ
    CentOS, Fedora, Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu, Slackware, cPanel, DirectAdmin, HostInABox, LAMP, Ruby pre-installed

Originally posted by Sprydotcom
    I would focus more on your IO then on your CPU type. You'll find that a nice SCSI/SATA disk will make a bigger difference for hosting than CPU will most of the time.
    Oh i see..May be memory is also need to be considered.