Exclamation Sci News :: Snow-capped peak of Mt Kilimanjaro melts away for 1st time in 11,000yrs.

Article extract >>

The snow-capped summit of Mount Kilimanjaro has melted away to reveal the tip of the African peak for the first time in 11,000 years.

The glaciers and snow which kept the summit white have almost completely disappeared.

Although scientists had predicted the melt would happen, it is 15 years sooner than they had predicted.

The white peak of the 19,340ft mountain has long formed a stunning part of Tanzanian landscape, not least because it is only 200 miles south of the equator.

The photograph is part of the NorthSouthEastWest exhibition by The Climate Group, a book of which will be presented to ministers at the G8 energy and environment summit in London.

Steve Howard of The Climate Group said: "Climate change is real. So are the solutions, which are practical, affordable and in many cases, profitable.

"This exhibition shows us that a low-carbon economy is the only sustainable future for our planet."

The G8 meeting comes a day after the WWF warned Himalayan glaciers are receding at among the fastest rates in the world because of global warming.

The environmental group warned that the melting could result in water shortages for millions of people who rely on rivers supplied by the glaciers in China, India and Nepal.

End extract <<

Full article, no link.

Also see :: http://www.reuters.co.za/locales/c_n...toryID=7893490

One of the world's great mountains, bare; and the last time it was so, the English Channel didn't even exist and the last great ice age hadn't ended yet. Just putting things into context.

Opinions?? Comments??

Critic,
    Last edited by Critic; 03-14-2005 at 11:58 AM.
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

What can I say, that is bad and things will be getting worse.

Thumbs up Re: Sci News :: Snow-capped peak of Mt Kilimanjaro melts away for 1st time in 11,000yrs.

Originally posted by Critic

Opinions?? Comments??

Critic,
    oh no... that has to do nothing with global warming.... its not out fault.... It would've happened no matter what...

I just want to hear what the disbelivers in "global warming" ought to say///

Peace,
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...

luckily for the Earth we won't last long on here.... and will recover fast afterwards

Re: Re: Sci News :: Snow-capped peak of Mt Kilimanjaro melts away for 1st time in 11,

Originally posted by azizny
    oh no... that has to do nothing with global warming.... its not out fault.... It would've happened no matter what...

Peace,

hehe.. sad but to true... Its not really about humans causing global warming.. its about global warming is happening right now...
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / "Automate. Grow. Repeat"
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / A KEAP Certified Developer (KCD)

The weather is getting worst...

Well the last couple of weeks we broke the record of being warm. We have not had a winter at all this year, and we have only had about a trace of snow/rain in the last months. It got into the high 60s last week, and it is getting worst it seems as the days ago.

This is where I live in Montana. This is where we usally get very good snow packs. As well the rivers are so low you can walk across some of them, and they are down about 6 to 7 feet now. Oh and this is the worst it has been in over 60 years I think they said.
    I am back....

Wow. That's really scary....
    ManageMyServices was sold by me in September 2009. I no longer have any affiliation with this company.

It's scientifically proven that the earth has cycles, going from warm to cold back to warm again. We're in the changing fase of one of those cycles. There are very few "true" scientists that believe in global warming, and many have mathematically proven it's not possible.

I don't believe, and I never will. I believe the earth is warming, but us humans have very little to do with it.

Also, if our earth never went in cycles, wouldn't that mountain be covered in snow for the past million years? Well, it hasn't because the earth goes in cycles, warms the atmosphere up and cools it down, that's why it's been 11,000 years since the last time it was melted.

Did our ancestors run around claiming they were the cause of global warming when the earth was warming up and the mountian de-iced itself? no.

Re: Re: Sci News :: Snow-capped peak of Mt Kilimanjaro melts away for 1st time in 11,000yrs.

Originally posted by azizny

Peace,
    For the sake of balance it probably would've happened anyway, just not quite so soon.

You have to understand that most sceptics [in my experience] don't dispute the fact that the global climate is changing, merely the impact that human activity has had upon the Earth as opposed to natural geological/planetary processes; the scales most would argue have tipped in our favour in recent decades.

Regardless of why it happened, it is still a rare and remarkable natural event that has taken place here [which we have all witnessed from a distance], that is without question.

Critic,
    Last edited by Critic; 03-14-2005 at 06:49 PM.

Originally posted by Hosemeyer
    It's scientifically proven that the earth has cycles, going from warm to cold back to warm again. We're in the changing fase of one of those cycles. There are very few "true" scientists that believe in global warming, and many have mathematically proven it's not possible.

I don't believe, and I never will. I believe the earth is warming, but us humans have very little to do with it.

Also, if our earth never went in cycles, wouldn't that mountain be covered in snow for the past million years? Well, it hasn't because the earth goes in cycles, warms the atmosphere up and cools it down, that's why it's been 11,000 years since the last time it was melted.

Did our ancestors run around claiming they were the cause of global warming when the earth was warming up and the mountian de-iced itself? no.

Hosemeyer I tend to agree with your point.. but a global warming cycle can easily happen.. plus my point and yours would make perfect sense together. Obviously things go in cycle, so why couldn't global warming? Its obviously the world is heating up globally.. seems to make perfect sense to me.

global warming
    n.

An increase in the average temperature of the earth's atmosphere, especially a sustained increase sufficient to cause climatic change.
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / "Automate. Grow. Repeat"
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / A KEAP Certified Developer (KCD)

doesnt anyone have a photo of it?

or did i miss something here?
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

Originally posted by LaurenStephens.com
    doesnt anyone have a photo of it?

or did i miss something here?
    Actually it would appear that i missed something.

Funny thing really, two articles on the topic but neither have the picture in question displayed. Hmm

Well Sky News had this "before" photo" which is ok but not brilliant >> http://static.sky.com/images/pictures/1281632.jpg

However i have found both a "before" and a nearly "after" photo acompanying the CNN article on the subject, it doesn't show what Mt Kilimanjaro looks like today but does demonstrate the decline in snow/glacial coverage. It's not what you or i were looking for i know but it's close enough and the besti i cano do at the minute. I'll do a bit more checking tomroow morning. >> http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/science...imanjaro.reut/

Oh and i've also found this related sotry, i heard about it on the radio in recent weeks and you might have too but for those that haven''t...see >> http://www.wwf.org.uk/news/n_0000001488.asp

Hope that helps

Critic,

Well we finally got rain last night (first time in Months), and snow this morning. It is little over 8 inches of snow now (first snow in ages). It is suppose to snow for the whole weeks it says! We are suppose to get up to 16 inches today!!! Maybe the fires will not be so bad this summer now.

I am back....

if we stop global warming, the effects of global dimming will take place

global dimming is what caused the Ethiopian drought back in the '80s.

not good... both are bad