UML or Virtuozzo?

Which would you say is inferior? The only obvious, non-technical difference I can see is the lack of a control panel with UML. But I'm not aware of UML's capabilites or weaknesses.

So any one with a bit of spare time that wouldn't mind explaining which is generally the better option would be grately thanked.

Without going into the bits and bytes, and from a very high-level perspective, we choose Virtuozzo as our VPS platform, mainly for two reasons:

1. The tools, both end-user and back-end management. VZPP, VZMC, VZCC, vzstat, vztop, The gui tools for level 1 NOC engineers, etc.

2. The commercial aspect of it. Being able to submit tickets when you find a (critical) bug and have engineers working on it in a matter of an hour or so. Including a road-map that they actually take customer feedback on, etc.

I am not knocking UML or Xen (we actually like Xen too), but the cost of the commercial product is well worth it, especially when your customers are depending on stability and reliability, and knowing there is a team of engineers you can either get on-site or on the phone when you run into an issue, you just cannot beat that.

They both have their pros, and cons. However, I would say for most people Virtuzzo would be the superior option.

Aside from the excellent technical support provided by SWsoft, which are always happy to explain in detail how they solved/fixed something. The management tools are excellent, TomK mentioned most of them, but left out 'vzctl' which is a very useful/versatle tool which allows you to do a wide array of things.

Virtuozzo is probally the better choice. Although UML is great as well, they sort of target different uses though. UML is more for development and does a better job at acting like a real linux install. Its also more flexible as far as OS you can use (I've used debain, fedora, redhat and others. Virtuozzo is better for hosting, its slightly more stable and has easy to control interfaces for users.

Ya, Virtuozzo comes with lots of usefull tools, which make management of the server with tons of VPSes as easy as managing a standalone server. It also comes with an easy recovery tool that helps you to boot up your died VPS with just few clicks.

Talking bout Hardware resource management, VZ also done a great job in resource management that allows it to host few times more VPSes compare to UML.

Not to forget that SWsoft have a big development & support team which keep upgrading their solution. I sees that they are heading to where their customers are heading to.

I say Virtuozzo in this sense too, because I feel that UML is just aimed at a whole different market than what would be proper for hosting.

Don't get me wrong, UML is great for stuff like honeypots, but for hosting you run into lots of issues.

Virtuozzo definately. Support is there when you need it and with VZMC, it makes the job of managing a VPS a WHOLE lot easier.
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

how much if choose virtuozzo with all tools ??

You'll have to contact them - their pricing is revealed only after an NDA is signed
    Avi B

I've had better luck with hosts that use the Virtuozzo platform. Although I'm currently struggling with one who can't seem to figure out how to make it work.

It seems that most here are responding from the point of view of managing the master server. How about from the point of view of the user using the VPS? Is there a noticable difference?

Roj
    Web Hosting? Been there. Done that.
    I am niyogi.

Virtuozzo goes better resource wise, because it shares resources and the majority of the time there's spare CPU on the host you can grab. UML has quotas and sticks to it.

UML gives you more customisation if you're a Linux geek, you can compile your own kernel, etc

Dan
    █ Dan Kitchen | Technical Director | Razorblue
    █ ddi: (+44) (0)1748 900 680 | e: dkitchen@razorblue.com
    █ UK Intensive Managed Hosting, Clusters and Colocation.
    █ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).

Anyone have any comments on Vserver (http://linux-vserver.org/) VPS as compared to UML or virtuozzo? We use Vserver and we've found that that the resource utilization (CPU) is higher than expected... and I don't believe it supports CPU quotas (although I believe it supports disk and ram quotas)
    Avi B