hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : VPS Hosting : Debian VPS Recommendations?

Forum Jump

Debian VPS Recommendations?

Reply Post New Thread In VPS Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old

Cool

Debian VPS Recommendations?

Greetings,

Due to a current provider meltdown, I am in urgent need. I currently have a dedicated box, but a VPS will suit my needs better. Oh, btw, don't use *******.com! They don't have the foggiest about what they are doing!

I'm looking for a Debian VPS with the following requirements:
256+ MB memory,
10-15+ GB disk storage,
50-100+ GB bandwidth.

Anyone have recommendations? Reliability is my primary concern.

Thanks,
jonhankok

Sponsored Links
Old
Aspiring Evangelist

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

I've been pleased with www.linode.com, but I've only had a VPS there for a few months. Do a search

Sponsored Links
Old

I would go for BudgetDedicated, prices are low but it works very well.

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

Any other Debian VPS recommendations? This thread is a year old, thought I would bump it being that a friend of mine may be in the market for a Debian VPS.

-Matt

Old

I ended up going with Unixshell.com and they were fairly decent. I was only paying about $8 per month for about 128 MB of memory. The system ran pretty well.

However, I realized that for most of the things I was doing, I ended up reinventing the wheel. So, I now use Dreamhost and they satisfy my every desire!

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote from DreamHost sales I received just now:

"We do not offer any VPS solutions. All of our servers are Debian based
though. [...] there is no middle ground between
shared and dedicated hosting with our plans."

jonhankok, do you believe your Dreamhost machine to be a VPS?

-Matt

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

Aktiom Networks has a Debian VPS offering; mine there (about 6 months) has been extremely reliable.

I recently noticed that Steadfast Networks will also put a Debian 3.1 image on their VPS. I have not tried them, but it's nice to see another VPS provider with the Debian option.

Both of these providers use Virtuozzo, which is much different than Xen or UML-based systems. There should be lots of threads about the difference, including at the linode.com support forums.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
LeaseWeb Netherlands Chosen to Host 20 Years Worth of Debian Linux Distributions Web Hosting News 2014-10-15 00:22:01
Skyhigh Networks Releases Tool to Measure Public Cloud Risks Web Hosting News 2014-02-19 11:20:21
Review Group Releases Recommendations for Government Access to Private Data Web Hosting News 2013-12-24 09:51:22
US Public Schools Failing to Read the Fine Print in Cloud Contracts: Study Web Hosting News 2013-12-13 14:07:43
White House Plans Cybersecurity Incentives for US Businesses Web Hosting News 2013-08-07 13:08:53