hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Ecommerce Hosting & Discussion : Unusual number of declines from overseas customers

Forum Jump

Unusual number of declines from overseas customers

Reply Post New Thread In Ecommerce Hosting & Discussion Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Web Hosting Master

Unusual number of declines from overseas customers

We have a client that is experiencing an unusual number of declines from overseas customers (mostly European), and especially from UK customers. On average they do anywhere from 2000-5000 transactions per month, and apparently they have at least a couple dozen inquiries a week from overseas customers with authorization problems who swear their card should be fine.

Is that affected by the choice of payment processor or is that strictly an issue with the card issuing bank? They are currently using Authorize.Net, but are thinking of switching to Verisign because of Authorize.Net's recent problems. We generally advise clients to use CyberSource and we haven't had any complaints similar to this, but due to the merchant bank restrictions they can't use CyberSource. Would switching to Verisign improve the situation at all? I've already checked the transaction reports, and these are almost always straight up declines, not failures to contact the card issuing bank. Due to the nature of what they sell, they have extremely low rates of fraud and therefore have what I would call very loose AVS restrictions (i.e. they take just about anything in), so I don't think that's the issue. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old
Texan at Heart

What do you have set up on the authorizenet.com's gateway's page for AVS, etc? I know unfortunately on their status page, you have to choose a few things - have you verified to make sure everything is fine there?

Old
Web Hosting Master

That was the first thing I checked. They aren't using FraudScreen.Net and they don't have any of the AVS reject conditions checked--as I said, they pretty much take in everything regardless of the AVS result. I think they've only had 3 fraudulant transactions out of tens of thousands, and they purposefully choose to pretty much ignore the AVS results because it was interfering with legitimate orders (mostly from overseas).

Sponsored Links
Old
The E-Commerce Answer Guy

Are they using Wells Fargo? Or who is their processor?

One other thing to keep in mind is that the source of the problem may be the merchant's acquiring bank or processor.

It is possible on most authorization networks for the processor to scrub out certain BIN's or set their own internal AVS matching requirements... and if this conditions are not met, the auth network might be declining it even though the issuer did not.

This may or may not be your answer - just something to keep in mind as a possibility.

Learn more today at http://www.cdgcommerce.com - we look forward to helping your business grow!

Old
Web Hosting Master

Thanks for the info CDG, I'll followup on that. They're using Global Payments for processing. Apparently they've got a Verisign gateway account now, though their website is still interfacing with Authorize.Net. I told them to try the Verisign virtual terminal when an overseas customer contacts them with problems to see if the payment processor makes a difference.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
US Marshals Second Silk Road Bitcoin Auction Sees Low Bidder Interest Web Hosting News 2014-12-08 09:10:05
Unusual DNS Error Leads to Internet Outage in China Web Hosting News 2014-01-21 12:16:24
IBM Acquisition of Aspera Expected to Boost File Transfer Speeds in Hosted Applications Web Hosting News 2013-12-23 17:56:08
Forrester to Cloud Providers: NSA Impact Worse Than You Thought Web Hosting News 2013-08-15 11:27:32
Web Host MonsterMegs Accepts Bitcoin Payment Web Hosting News 2013-03-14 16:28:37