hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : VPS Hosting : How about free(open) VPS solutions?

Forum Jump

How about free(open) VPS solutions?

Reply Post New Thread In VPS Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2005, 05:10 AM

How about free(open) VPS solutions?

Hello all.

I'm a begineer of the forum and I have heard the name and meaning of the VPS some days ago.
I think that VPS is great and I would like to operate my linux server using VPS solution.

Surely, there are lots of commercial solutions but I would like to Free(open) VPS solutions first as possible.

So is there anyone who have used free VPS solution like below?

linux-vserver.org
openvps.org
freevps.com something like that...

Is there lots of differences between commercial and free VPS in the point of the function or performance, security..?

Any comments will be thanks.

Thanks in advance and so sorry poor english.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2005, 01:23 PM
WHT Addict

FreeVPS.com is the psoft supported version of VServer.
AFAIK it was derived from VServer, with some $ push the development along.

Old 03-09-2005, 11:21 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

if you would like to make sure if VPS is the perfect solution for you, go for a trial with any of the VPS provider. I believe lots of them offer 30 days trial or even longer.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2005, 11:23 PM
Web Hosting Master

UML, or User Mode Linux is the most widely used free solution on the market.

Old 03-09-2005, 11:35 PM
Aspiring Evangelist

I am testing an account with unixshell.com, where they're running Xen.

http://www.unixshell.com/index.php?page=technology

Old 03-17-2005, 05:23 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Ensim & free VPS solution?

I'm new on HSP,

So, can you some give me advice how I may sale VPS on same box where is already installed Ensim and Modernbill (VPS, shared and reseller on same Box? - with Large CPU and allocated RAM for VPS);

In other way:
did I must reinstall OS and after that install some new Open source VPS solution and re-install Ensim - if SOME (WHICH- I DONT KNOW) open source VPS Cp can work like that with Ensim? ( I need to not demage main website and modernbill installation - MySQL Db?)

Thanks a lot
Dragan

Old 03-17-2005, 05:54 PM
WHT Addict

If you already have modernbill and Ensim installed on your server I would strongly discourage installing any of the above VPS software. I'd reccomend getting a new server to install your VPS software on, then migrate your existing applications into VPS accounts on the new box if you only want to have one. At the end of the day, you'll probably want more than 1 box if you're going to be selling VPS accounts anyways.

CentOS, Fedora, Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu, Slackware, cPanel, DirectAdmin, HostInABox, LAMP, Ruby pre-installed

Old 03-17-2005, 06:13 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Why?
Is it karnel problem, or sahred CPU (RAM is allocated)?
Or will be miss-mass?

Old 03-17-2005, 06:18 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Can I (Sys Admin )secure and configure (REMOTE) VPS Flat-without VPS Cp?

Dragan

Old 03-17-2005, 06:49 PM
WHT Addict

Most control panels that are installed on a Linux OS have tons of dependancies. Specialized Apache/Mysql/PHP just to name a few. I would be very leary of trying to install something as major as VPS software on a server thats already functioning with your control panel.

As far as being able to manage the VPS accounts without a control panel. It all depends on how good with UNIX you are, but more importantly how much work you want to do for your customers. If you have no control panel and they're unfamiliar with UNIX you may find you have to do everything by hand for them, which can be very time consuming.

CentOS, Fedora, Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu, Slackware, cPanel, DirectAdmin, HostInABox, LAMP, Ruby pre-installed

Old 03-18-2005, 06:21 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

* Ensim and VPS on same box ?

Can you advice me Plz;
Which Free VPS Cp is most sutable to work on same box where is ensim and modernbill?

thanks a lot

Old 03-20-2005, 05:23 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Sorry about my misunderstood.

So you sugest me that I sale just Shared and reseller (On mine box where is Ensim and modernbill)
To sale VPS just at CLEAN Box? with some Cp ABOVE (maybe include in that list and webmin-virtualmin?)

Plz help to grow-up

Old 03-20-2005, 05:56 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Let's will see...
Can I Re-Install OS; then install some VPS Cp(WHICH IS THE BEST Open source ) Partitioned HDD on part which will be for shared and reseller=inside that re-install Ensim and Modernbill. Rest HDD partitioned for VPS's=Allocated DDR RAM and shared CPU?
Maybe Box will be unstable with shared CPU I mean that allocated RAM will cover all VPS's; Q's is what will be with shared dual-CPU...

Plz help

Old 03-21-2005, 01:29 PM
Web Hosting Master

Hi!
Can you re-install Os? No. Not on most. Certainly not recompile the kernel on any of them.

On many UML servers...you can chose what core you want but you certainly cannot reinstall the OS.

I think you're getting confused...a control panel has nothing to do with the type of VPS. A host could offer Plesk and Cpanel on a UML server just as easily as they could offer webmin, direct admin or whatever.

It depends on the host. As was said...you have to be careful with all the dependencies that exist...if you get a VPS with..say..Cpanel and you want to "delete" Cpanel (likely not possible) and install Webmin. The VPS will have to be "remade" or re-installed to do it right.

One of the nice things about the Virtuosso VPS's I have at Steadfastnetworks.com, if I do success in really messing something up...I can reinstall the VPS myself from the Power panel. This is the first host I've had that has this feature and root access as well...and I think it's going to be really ideal for the development work I'm doing.

You have no control of partitions. Most VPS's are very stable...freeVPS suffers from the same "problem" as a shared environment...the CPU resource is not fully allocated. So...depending on how you look at it...if you need to take more than your fair share of the CPU...you can. For the other users...that might be considered to be a bad thing.

VPS's are great for development work and a good, cheaper alternative to a dedicated box to ltruly learn linux sysadmin skills.

Bryon

Old 05-03-2010, 10:52 PM

You can't reinstall you OS, but...

with a VPS from ServeSout at www.servesouth, we can make copies of your VPS at any time and then crank out clones of it in just minutes at absolutely no charge. To my knowledge, you can't reinstall your own VPS without the administration of the VPS host..am I wrong guys?

Learn about GREEN servers at ServeSouth

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
OX Summit Web Hosting Events 2014-07-23 21:01:52
Join HP to Learn the Top 5 Considerations for Transitioning to Open Compute Blog 2014-06-25 15:23:35
CA Technologies Launches Free Monitoring Tool Web Hosting News 2013-10-10 14:27:42
Open-Xchange Summit 2013 Web Hosting Events 2013-09-19 18:04:21
Open-Xchange Names New Chief Technical Officer Web Hosting News 2013-03-04 16:10:23