Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

8-Year-Old Child Arrested After Throwing a Fit at School

"WILLIAMSBURG, Va. - An unidentified 8 year old boy was arrested for disorderly conduct and assault after head butting his teacher and kicking another school staff member on Tuesday. Police hauled off the child in handcuffs following the incident."

Continued...

And that's why I'm never going to become a teacher

Let's just wait for all the people to come here and tell us how the COPS over reacted.

Originally posted by blue27
    Let's just wait for all the people to come here and tell us how the COPS over reacted.
    Omfg... the cops are stupid people that have overreacted. Things like this should be legal. The cops should all be fired and the kid should be awarded over $1mil in punitive damages.

j/k

I saw this posted elsewhere,stupid as hell!!!!!

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

Lucky I am not american...
    New site: www.talkutas.com

Unless this kid was some sort of body building champion, they should have been able to deal with this kid on their own. Calling the cops was a little excess in my opinion.

Originally posted by CodePHP
    Unless this kid was some sort of body building champion, they should have been able to deal with this kid on their own. Calling the cops was a little excess in my opinion.
    Yes but the way society is going, if we don't take control and teach people what is wrong and right, and stick with scrict punishments, people will be able to blow each other up with explosives and simply get a slap round the wrist for it.

Especially when people are so young, now is the time to start teaching people what they can and cannot do. IMO good move.

Dan
    █ Dan Kitchen | Technical Director | Razorblue
    █ ddi: (+44) (0)1748 900 680 | e: dkitchen@razorblue.com
    █ UK Intensive Managed Hosting, Clusters and Colocation.
    █ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).

Not bad. I like this, certainly teachs the kid a lesson.

I think it was fair for them to call the police on the kid. Just shows the teachers will not take crap from the kids. I do not see anything wrong with it at all.
    I am back....

If he's going nuts... I don't see any other recourse.

Though it sounds like a parenting problem not a criminal matter
    neil MCITP, VCP

I suspect a major consideration for the teachers and principal was, "How do we get this child restrained in a way that doesn't get us sued by the parents?" Calling the police may have seemed like the most sensible choice from that standpoint.

They probably had to call the cops, schools are afraid to even raise their voices at children for fear of being sued for "abuse", parents are afraid to spank their children for fear of child services treating them like abusive parents, and where are the kids? They're throwing fits at school.

You know what would have happened had I thrown a fit at school? Corporal punishment, if that didn't solve my problem a quick call to my mom would solve it, because they'd call her, she'd call my dad, and he'd come and pick me up and we'd "go for a ride" either he'd take me home and give me a sound spanking, and ground me, or we'd just head back to wherever he was working and I'd get to do something fun like, move wood from one pile to another or bricks from one pile to another, or shovel dirt, or well, you get the idea. I was disciplined, not abused, not beaten, disciplined, I knew if I took things too far, there were repurcussions and for the most part I tried to stay away fromthose lines I knew not to cross.

I feel for teachers and principals, they have no power, and are scared to do anything "mean" to kids. Ya know what? Kids are little savages, and sometimes they have to be treated mean to get the idea thru "you gotta quit acting like that", god knows had I known there wouldn't be a severe punishment I'da been a savage with a capital B R A T.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

Ahhh.. It brings warmth to my heart to see what we as the leader of the free world are doing to prevent these young terrorists from growing up throwing tantrums.

AHHHH!!!!!!! A CRAYON PICTURE OF A ZOMBIE!!!!! TERRORIST!

AHHHH!!!!!!! A TANTRUM!!!!! TERRORIST!!!!!!!

Doesn't it just make you beam to know this is happening in your country?

Oh and on the subject of children where do they get off abolishing the death penalty for children. If this child was executed I'm sure it would bring all those other 8 year old terrorists into line.

---

This post was completely sarcastic. What school officials and law enforcement have been doing in this country disgusts me.

Originally posted by Disgruntled
    I suspect a major consideration for the teachers and principal was, "How do we get this child restrained in a way that doesn't get us sued by the parents?" Calling the police may have seemed like the most sensible choice from that standpoint.
    I agree.

Unfortunately, while most people are reasonable there those that aren't. I've seen parents throw fits when they are told their kid is getting detention, etc.

This is called "spoiled", and evidently the tantrums work with his parents. This is also the same kind of kid that grows up to disrespect the anthem, not pull over for emergency vehicles, and shoot school bus drivers.

I didn't think about the getting sued aspect of that. I suppose it was the only safe choice the school was left with.

Reminds me of getting into a fist fight with a teacher once. We ended up drinking a beer (lol, wasn't even allowed alcohol then) and laughing about it. Good times

Calling police?? Geeeeze what a world

Seems there's a new thread about a child being arrested every week.

/me puts on 50 year old man voice and mumbles something about "those damn kids"

Originally posted by LP-Trel
    This post was completely sarcastic. What school officials and law enforcement have been doing in this country disgusts me.

Yes, god forbid we should actually discipline them.

What exactly do you suggest? They should let this little punk go around ripping up the class room with no repercussions at all?

Are you saying handcuffing an 8 year old child is reasonable or necersary? Would the policeman be in mortal danger or fear for his life if the child was not handcuffed?

Dont get me wrong I'm not trying to pick a fight i would like to know why you think this was justified, also if your a parent (I cant remember you mentioning if you are or not) would you be as happy for your child to be handcuffed at 8 years old.

I can't say i would be chuffed if that was my son, but then I would expect to punish him myself (and trust me he would be punished), I would also fully support whatever the school decided to do, I just think it a little extreme to handcuff the little chap and cart him off to the local nick....

Originally posted by phill2003
    Are you saying handcuffing an 8 year old child is reasonable or necersary? Would the policeman be in mortal danger or fear for his life if the child was not handcuffed?

Dont get me wrong I'm not trying to pick a fight i would like to know why you think this was justified, also if your a parent (I cant remember you mentioning if you are or not) would you be as happy for your child to be handcuffed at 8 years old.

I can't say i would be chuffed if that was my son, but then I would expect to punish him myself (and trust me he would be punished), I would also fully support whatever the school decided to do, I just think it a little extreme to handcuff the little chap and cart him off to the local nick....
    So let me get this right....

I as a law enforcement officer respond to the school where I find the teacher and principal standing outside of a classroom while a very disturbed 8 year old is inside throwing things and generally causing a problem. He's violent, we already know this because he's head butted the teacher and thrown desks - I make entry into the room and command the child to stop, he doesn't. I again tell him to stop and he tells me to go away at which point he throws another chair, object, etc; maybe in my general direction. What other choice do I have than to approach him, control him, and cuff him? I'm certainly not going to leave him in the room destroying property and threatening his own safety and potentially that of others.

In todays world both parents (if there are two parents) are usually working full time jobs during the day and aren't available to leave work, regardless of what the situation is (true fact - leaving = getting fired.) This is also assuming the parents even care, if this kid has got this far detached at such an early age chances are the parenting hasn't exactly been stellar.
    neil MCITP, VCP

Originally posted by phill2003

Phil, there are two issues here. We don't know how large or how violent this kid was. I've seen big 8 year olds. He was obviously big enough to head butt a teacher.

The second issue is that the police have no option when it comes to the handcuffs. It is mandatory police procedure when you are taking someone into custody to handcuff them, regardless of age, sex or size.

if you read the comments under the article (no doubt posted by the intellectually elite), you'll see why handcuffing this child +may have been necessary.

"head butting is awsome that kid should been givin a medal"

"Dude man, you're totally right, I say he get bonus points too."

A medal and bonus points for battery? Yeah, I've got his medal right here. After a rash of incidents at my elementary school, we were actually just reviewing the codes regarding actions that should be taken and the consequences (district policy) for things like setting fires (arson) and battery, and you might be surprised at how difficult it is to be expelled and or punished in any really meaningful way. We read them and thought that it would make good material for Jay Leno.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

Phil, there are two issues here. We don't know how large or how violent this kid was. I've seen big 8 year olds. He was obviously big enough to head butt a teacher.

The second issue is that the police have no option when it comes to the handcuffs. It is mandatory police procedure when you are taking someone into custody to handcuff them, regardless of age, sex or size.
    Well i agree there are some largish 8 year olds i have yet to see one that big that they pose a threat to a fully grown adult, as for the handcuffs, I didnt realise that was the situation if you have to put them on then so be it, But its not how they do it here, I still say it was a little extreme but i think we may have to agree to disagree on this....

I highly doubt that police were called to the school... Most schools in urban areas have a police officer on duty on the campus during school hours. It is usually the DARE officer, but a police officer none the less.

When is the proper time to teach a child that if they don't behave properly in public (or private) that there are serious reprocussions, such as being arrested? How young is too young to learn that lesson? If this 8 year old was causing enough trouble that the teacher and administrators couldn't handle it, then by all means, let them get an idea of what being arrested feels like. My guess is that kid will think twice before acting up again in class.

I agree that it is the parents responsibilities to raise their kids, and discipline them. However, in today's society, show me a set of parents (yes, a mother and a father) who actually have time to spend with their kids and properly raise them/discipline them. They are few and far between, so schools and society is left with no choice but to make up for the lack of parenting that the parents don't do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast