Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

8-Year-Old Child Arrested After Throwing a Fit at School

"WILLIAMSBURG, Va. - An unidentified 8 year old boy was arrested for disorderly conduct and assault after head butting his teacher and kicking another school staff member on Tuesday. Police hauled off the child in handcuffs following the incident."

Continued...

And that's why I'm never going to become a teacher

Let's just wait for all the people to come here and tell us how the COPS over reacted.

Originally posted by blue27
    Let's just wait for all the people to come here and tell us how the COPS over reacted.
    Omfg... the cops are stupid people that have overreacted. Things like this should be legal. The cops should all be fired and the kid should be awarded over $1mil in punitive damages.

j/k

I saw this posted elsewhere,stupid as hell!!!!!

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

Lucky I am not american...
    New site: www.talkutas.com

Unless this kid was some sort of body building champion, they should have been able to deal with this kid on their own. Calling the cops was a little excess in my opinion.

Originally posted by CodePHP
    Unless this kid was some sort of body building champion, they should have been able to deal with this kid on their own. Calling the cops was a little excess in my opinion.
    Yes but the way society is going, if we don't take control and teach people what is wrong and right, and stick with scrict punishments, people will be able to blow each other up with explosives and simply get a slap round the wrist for it.

Especially when people are so young, now is the time to start teaching people what they can and cannot do. IMO good move.

Dan

Not bad. I like this, certainly teachs the kid a lesson.

I think it was fair for them to call the police on the kid. Just shows the teachers will not take crap from the kids. I do not see anything wrong with it at all.
    I am back....

If he's going nuts... I don't see any other recourse.

Though it sounds like a parenting problem not a criminal matter
    neil MCITP, VCP

I suspect a major consideration for the teachers and principal was, "How do we get this child restrained in a way that doesn't get us sued by the parents?" Calling the police may have seemed like the most sensible choice from that standpoint.

They probably had to call the cops, schools are afraid to even raise their voices at children for fear of being sued for "abuse", parents are afraid to spank their children for fear of child services treating them like abusive parents, and where are the kids? They're throwing fits at school.

You know what would have happened had I thrown a fit at school? Corporal punishment, if that didn't solve my problem a quick call to my mom would solve it, because they'd call her, she'd call my dad, and he'd come and pick me up and we'd "go for a ride" either he'd take me home and give me a sound spanking, and ground me, or we'd just head back to wherever he was working and I'd get to do something fun like, move wood from one pile to another or bricks from one pile to another, or shovel dirt, or well, you get the idea. I was disciplined, not abused, not beaten, disciplined, I knew if I took things too far, there were repurcussions and for the most part I tried to stay away fromthose lines I knew not to cross.

I feel for teachers and principals, they have no power, and are scared to do anything "mean" to kids. Ya know what? Kids are little savages, and sometimes they have to be treated mean to get the idea thru "you gotta quit acting like that", god knows had I known there wouldn't be a severe punishment I'da been a savage with a capital B R A T.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

Ahhh.. It brings warmth to my heart to see what we as the leader of the free world are doing to prevent these young terrorists from growing up throwing tantrums.

AHHHH!!!!!!! A CRAYON PICTURE OF A ZOMBIE!!!!! TERRORIST!

AHHHH!!!!!!! A TANTRUM!!!!! TERRORIST!!!!!!!

Doesn't it just make you beam to know this is happening in your country?

Oh and on the subject of children where do they get off abolishing the death penalty for children. If this child was executed I'm sure it would bring all those other 8 year old terrorists into line.

---

This post was completely sarcastic. What school officials and law enforcement have been doing in this country disgusts me.

Originally posted by Disgruntled
    I suspect a major consideration for the teachers and principal was, "How do we get this child restrained in a way that doesn't get us sued by the parents?" Calling the police may have seemed like the most sensible choice from that standpoint.
    I agree.

Unfortunately, while most people are reasonable there those that aren't. I've seen parents throw fits when they are told their kid is getting detention, etc.

This is called "spoiled", and evidently the tantrums work with his parents. This is also the same kind of kid that grows up to disrespect the anthem, not pull over for emergency vehicles, and shoot school bus drivers.

I didn't think about the getting sued aspect of that. I suppose it was the only safe choice the school was left with.

Reminds me of getting into a fist fight with a teacher once. We ended up drinking a beer (lol, wasn't even allowed alcohol then) and laughing about it. Good times

Calling police?? Geeeeze what a world

Seems there's a new thread about a child being arrested every week.

/me puts on 50 year old man voice and mumbles something about "those damn kids"

Originally posted by LP-Trel
    This post was completely sarcastic. What school officials and law enforcement have been doing in this country disgusts me.

Yes, god forbid we should actually discipline them.

What exactly do you suggest? They should let this little punk go around ripping up the class room with no repercussions at all?

Are you saying handcuffing an 8 year old child is reasonable or necersary? Would the policeman be in mortal danger or fear for his life if the child was not handcuffed?

Dont get me wrong I'm not trying to pick a fight i would like to know why you think this was justified, also if your a parent (I cant remember you mentioning if you are or not) would you be as happy for your child to be handcuffed at 8 years old.

I can't say i would be chuffed if that was my son, but then I would expect to punish him myself (and trust me he would be punished), I would also fully support whatever the school decided to do, I just think it a little extreme to handcuff the little chap and cart him off to the local nick....

Originally posted by phill2003
    Are you saying handcuffing an 8 year old child is reasonable or necersary? Would the policeman be in mortal danger or fear for his life if the child was not handcuffed?

Dont get me wrong I'm not trying to pick a fight i would like to know why you think this was justified, also if your a parent (I cant remember you mentioning if you are or not) would you be as happy for your child to be handcuffed at 8 years old.

I can't say i would be chuffed if that was my son, but then I would expect to punish him myself (and trust me he would be punished), I would also fully support whatever the school decided to do, I just think it a little extreme to handcuff the little chap and cart him off to the local nick....
    So let me get this right....

I as a law enforcement officer respond to the school where I find the teacher and principal standing outside of a classroom while a very disturbed 8 year old is inside throwing things and generally causing a problem. He's violent, we already know this because he's head butted the teacher and thrown desks - I make entry into the room and command the child to stop, he doesn't. I again tell him to stop and he tells me to go away at which point he throws another chair, object, etc; maybe in my general direction. What other choice do I have than to approach him, control him, and cuff him? I'm certainly not going to leave him in the room destroying property and threatening his own safety and potentially that of others.

In todays world both parents (if there are two parents) are usually working full time jobs during the day and aren't available to leave work, regardless of what the situation is (true fact - leaving = getting fired.) This is also assuming the parents even care, if this kid has got this far detached at such an early age chances are the parenting hasn't exactly been stellar.
    neil MCITP, VCP

Phil, there are two issues here. We don't know how large or how violent this kid was. I've seen big 8 year olds. He was obviously big enough to head butt a teacher.

The second issue is that the police have no option when it comes to the handcuffs. It is mandatory police procedure when you are taking someone into custody to handcuff them, regardless of age, sex or size.

if you read the comments under the article (no doubt posted by the intellectually elite), you'll see why handcuffing this child +may have been necessary.

"head butting is awsome that kid should been givin a medal"

"Dude man, you're totally right, I say he get bonus points too."

A medal and bonus points for battery? Yeah, I've got his medal right here. After a rash of incidents at my elementary school, we were actually just reviewing the codes regarding actions that should be taken and the consequences (district policy) for things like setting fires (arson) and battery, and you might be surprised at how difficult it is to be expelled and or punished in any really meaningful way. We read them and thought that it would make good material for Jay Leno.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

Phil, there are two issues here. We don't know how large or how violent this kid was. I've seen big 8 year olds. He was obviously big enough to head butt a teacher.

The second issue is that the police have no option when it comes to the handcuffs. It is mandatory police procedure when you are taking someone into custody to handcuff them, regardless of age, sex or size.
    Well i agree there are some largish 8 year olds i have yet to see one that big that they pose a threat to a fully grown adult, as for the handcuffs, I didnt realise that was the situation if you have to put them on then so be it, But its not how they do it here, I still say it was a little extreme but i think we may have to agree to disagree on this....

I highly doubt that police were called to the school... Most schools in urban areas have a police officer on duty on the campus during school hours. It is usually the DARE officer, but a police officer none the less.

When is the proper time to teach a child that if they don't behave properly in public (or private) that there are serious reprocussions, such as being arrested? How young is too young to learn that lesson? If this 8 year old was causing enough trouble that the teacher and administrators couldn't handle it, then by all means, let them get an idea of what being arrested feels like. My guess is that kid will think twice before acting up again in class.

I agree that it is the parents responsibilities to raise their kids, and discipline them. However, in today's society, show me a set of parents (yes, a mother and a father) who actually have time to spend with their kids and properly raise them/discipline them. They are few and far between, so schools and society is left with no choice but to make up for the lack of parenting that the parents don't do.

Originally posted by Chicken
    if you read the comments under the article (no doubt posted by the intellectually elite), you'll see why handcuffing this child +may have been necessary.

"head butting is awsome that kid should been givin a medal"

"Dude man, you're totally right, I say he get bonus points too."

A medal and bonus points for battery? Yeah, I've got his medal right here. After a rash of incidents at my elementary school, we were actually just reviewing the codes regarding actions that should be taken and the consequences (district policy) for things like setting fires (arson) and battery, and you might be surprised at how difficult it is to be expelled and or punished in any really meaningful way. We read them and thought that it would make good material for Jay Leno.
    I have nothing to add but I just wanted to quote that so that more people read it. It is the only mature comment so far and yes, I replied as well!

Originally posted by Webdude
    This is called "spoiled", and evidently the tantrums work with his parents. This is also the same kind of kid that grows up to disrespect the anthem, not pull over for emergency vehicles, and shoot school bus drivers.
    You should hear some of the abuse the teachers get from the parents. I was a student helper for my math teacher (correcting papers, helping around), and dang when she calls the kids parents they just yell at her, ect.

What else I do not like it what Dixiesys said. Parents can not do much without having the kids taken away, and the teachers are left with nothing much at all. Kids do not learn these days, and are spoiled.

When I got in trouble I knew I was in for the belt or the hand. I rarely got in trouble for that same reason, and I think it brought me to be a better person.
    I am back....

Originally posted by Torith
    You should hear some of the abuse the teachers get from the parents. I was a student helper for my math teacher (correcting papers, helping around), and dang when she calls the kids parents they just yell at her, ect.

What else I do not like it what Dixiesys said. Parents can not do much without having the kids taken away, and the teachers are left with nothing much at all. Kids do not learn these days, and are spoiled.

When I got in trouble I knew I was in for the belt or the hand. I rarely got in trouble for that same reason, and I think it brought me to be a better person.
    Yep, if my school got pissed at me enough to actually call HOME I knew, oh I knew, it wasn't gonna be pretty.

My dad didn't mind it so much if I got in trouble at school, he knew if I really acted bad they'd call him and for the minor crap, they'd use corporal punishment themselves, and it'd be taken care of. I wasn't no angel, I had one or two scuffles, wouldn't really call 'em fights, and I had a bad habit of sometimes letting my little practical jokes get a little out of hand from time to time, and I usually got at least a handful of spankings at school every year, not a lot typically 2 or 3 maybe 4 or 5, I knew better than to get too unruly too often because when you get out of hand too often the teachers would often call in "pinch hitters" usually the football coach or another teacher named Mr Wales, and lemme tell you they could lift you up to your toes when they smacked you with that paddle, and if you even THOUGHT they might get called in to pinch hit, you typically cooled off and tried to avoid that.

A very good friend of ours, a man that she goes to church with was called one afternoon by the school his 11 (or 12) year old son attended they basically said "we just can't get your son under control, can you come down here and talk to him?" so he went down there, took his son into the restroom and gave him a talking to, as in a spanking, walked out and the cop on duty arrested him on the spot, for child abuse, then child protective services was called, etc etc.

^^^--THIS-- folks is why parents like me won't spank their kid in public. If you see me out and my 4 year old is acting up (and face it even the best behaved 4 year old has his off days) well you just better deal with it because there's no way in HELL I'm gonna do much more than talk firmly to him in public. Course I just usually lean down and whisper to him "if you don't calm down when we get home you're gonna get a whipping and lose your nintendo for a week" and USUALLY that'll calm him down. He knows daddy never threatens, daddy makes promises that are kept. But if that don't work? Well you might as well leave Wal Mart or whatever because it ain't going any further than that and he'll just have to run around or holler or sing at the top of his lungs, or throw a fit and cry over a toy, because I ain't laying a pinky on him in public no way, nuh uh.
    resident grumpy redneck

Oh I understand. It is really sad these days if you think about it. Parents should be able to punish their kids how they see fit as long as it is not abuse. Spanking a kid is not abuse unless you make it into abuse. I go to a fast food place, and see this kid acting all up, and the mother trying to calm him down. Though it does not work because they do not know about punishment.

One time I was a bad kid in church, and my father he took me to a room, he got his belt, and he spanked me! I respect my father for bringing me up right, and teaching me right from wrong. I had to be shown right from wrong, and that if you do something wrong you would be punished.

Now all kids are different and learn different ways, but spanking worked for me. I think it is sad that just because you spank your kid you get in trouble for it.
    I am back....

This kid should be punished, but arresting him is pointless. Why you ask? Because the child obviously doesnt understand you can't headbutt people, therefor he doesnt even realize what he did is a crime.

Now he is labeled a deviant by society and peers... Which usually leads to more deviance. If anyone should be arrested here, it should be the parents for poor parenting.

Re: 8-Year-Old Child Arrested After Throwing a Fit at School

Originally posted by CodePHP
    "WILLIAMSBURG, Va. - An unidentified 8 year old boy was arrested for disorderly conduct and assault after head butting his teacher and kicking another school staff member on Tuesday. Police hauled off the child in handcuffs following the incident."

Continued...

And that's why I'm never going to become a teacher
    If I had done that in grade school I would of been swatted til it hurt to sit down. But of course now that's considered "abuse" or bad. If the kids can't behave at school, they don't need to be there.

They need to start doing this in the St. Louis City School system. Teachers there are hit, kicked, have objects throw at them on a near weekly basis.

The school my mother worked at was closed due to the school closing a year or so back, and the new school she is at (in south city (Frabel I believe)) is just terrible. And what's worse is that the parents of the kids are just as bad as the kids themselves.
    Happily hosting @ Dathorn.com (Since 3/2003), Ispeeds.net (Since 2004), & Quadspeedi.net (Since 7/2005)!
    Hosted @ FDC for 9 Years

Has this kid acted up before? If so have they tried to get the parents to deal with it? How is his homelife? These are the questions that popped up in my head when I read this.

On these subjects I really don't know what to say. I agree with both sides that he should of been arested and then he shouldn't have. I understand that the school could not control him, so they called the Police, so they could deal with it.

Some people seem to assume that being arrested will teach the kid a lesson. Well for some people getting punish does not stop them. I think rather than getting arrested, the kid needs to get help else where to control this problem.

This is why I love Texas. If my kid were to misbehave bad enough for the school to call me, there is absolutely nothing against the law here for me to bend him over in the hallway and bust his butt with a paddle right then and there.

I do get calls about my older one not having all his homework done. Once, he had a project to do that wasnt required, but would have done great improvements on his grade. He chose not to do it even though he was close to failing (only because he's lazy and doesnt bring homework home). I went up there, grabbed the principal's paddle, and marched him out to the hallway and waited. He wasnt acting too worried, he knows spankings only hurt for a minute or so and then it's over. Him, the principal, and teacher started asking what I was doing (waiting instead of paddling). I said I was waiting for the bell to ring so all his school friends could see him get spanked. THAT is when it bothered him and he broke down started pleading with us. He did not get a spanking that day, and he got his project done within the extra time alloted to him.

The school wont spank kids. Not because it's illegal, but because of parents. However, a parent is more than welcome to come to school and use the paddle themselves on their own kids if they so choose.

Originally posted by case
    If anyone should be arrested here, it should be the parents for poor parenting.
    Ya know, this might not be a bad idea, if your kid gets out of hand enough at school the teachers and administrators feel they need to call in cops for him, then the parents should be arrested right alongside junior. Might be a wake up call they need to have the law show up where they work and arrest them because their undisciplined brat caused havoc at school. Instead of silly fines and jail time of course, counseling and, for the child, community service, would be the punishment given. Nothing like some good hard work to help work out some of that anger, I know it used to work wonders for me. Maybe make the parents do a few hours WITH the kids, most of these kids just need a little more interaction with their folks.
    resident grumpy redneck

It would be nice to get some information on the parents of this kid, and what they had to say. That would make for some interesting reading

When I was in grade school, we had a kid like the one in the article. He'd throw stuff and flip over desks (which would smash his toe and make him more angry ), but our super calm teacher just sort of restrained him and continued class discussion like nothing was going on.

Check out this. It's about the polar opposite you'd expect from a school.

Not surprised.

Locally a couple years ago a special education student attacked a school teacher with a pair of scissors. She's permanently disabled due to the incident.

The incident also brought the state stricter rules on student behavior (about time since parents aren't doing their job. It's only, "no ice cream for you tonight" style punishments without any real deterence).

So yes little innocent Johnny could do more than cutting school. It's getting outright deadly now to teach.

Chris

Originally posted by amish_geek
    How young is too young to learn that lesson?
    In my opinion, it is never too young to learn that lesson. Often the violent children at our school have been violent before, sometimes since first grade. Bottom line is that's illegal to hit people, whether you're 8 years old or 18. Maybe a real life lesson would head off years of repeated behavior and possible trouble later on in life. Maybe, maybe not, but it's worth a shot IMHO.
    Originally posted by case
    This kid should be punished, but arresting him is pointless. Why you ask? Because the child obviously doesnt understand you can't headbutt people, therefor he doesnt even realize what he did is a crime.
    See above.
    Now he is labeled a deviant by society and peers... Which usually leads to more deviance.
    He is a deviant.
    Well i agree there are some largish 8 year olds i have yet to see one that big that they pose a threat to a fully grown adult...
    I assure you, there are 8 year olds that can pose a threat to a fully grown adult (I'm 6'1" and they could pose a threat to me, let alone many of the smaller teachers). I say this without a doubt in my mind, absolutely, positively. We have a first grader who wouldn't have trouble right now, and as an added bonus, he's a behavior nightmare already and has been violent, in fights, showed his *ahem* in the girl's bathroom and told them to "suck it" -and I could go on. I've been teaching 8 year olds (give or take a year) for six years.

• Chicken

I have several friends that are teachers themselves, I have to agree with Chicken that 8 year olds really can cause some damage. Putting yourself in the situation of the teacher (i.e. chairs and headbutts being launched at you) I wouldn't have any qualms calling in the school police officer.

I'd like to make it clear that while I do say 8 years olds are capable, I don't mean to sound as if it's probable or anything like that. Most students would never even consider it, but just at my school we've had incidents that really make you wonder.

Personally, I've only been attacked once, by a first grader no less. I'll tell you that it's quite surprising to see a 6 year old run as fast as they can across the length of a classroom and punch you in the stomach. Catches one off guard to say the least.

Now, the police weren't called for that incident, but can you imagine if that kid (in the article) shoots up a school a few years from now? This chair throwing, head-butting incident is sure to be examined and if nothing was done about it, that surely would be questioned.

Also, someone mentioned something about restraining children. I'd much rather have an administrator or the police deal with any issue of this nature, and I'd be very reluctant to even *touch* the child in any way, let alone restrain them. The days of the teacher whapping kids with rulers is long over (even though we've had that discussion before here and many don't have a problem with it). You touch or grab a kid and you might as well call your lawyer before the incident is over, and start looking for a new job.

• Chicken

Boy oh boy if that had been me, my mom would have come down to the school, apologized up and down and taken me home, and given me a spanking to remember. Then I would have sat in my room for 2 or so hours, thinking about what I did, and been made to apologize when I went back.

It really angers me that children are allowed to get to this point. Yes, there comes an age when they are aware of right and wrong, but kids still need guidance. That doesn't stop when you take them to school, either. It seems that a lot of parents nowadays just don't understand that concept.

What society doesn't understand anymore is that there is a big difference between DISCIPLINE and ABUSE. I was spanked when I was little and it in no way scarred me for life. I learned that a) when mom says don't do something, don't do it and b) resepct your elders. I STILL don't cuss in front of my mom. My stepsiblings were not spanked like I was and they have no problems talking back nor cussing in front of my mom (don't get me wrong; they are not discipline cases by any means; just that I would never have fathomed talking the way they do - I knew the limits).

I hope the trend shifts back to parents being able to discipline their children in the manner they see fit without fear of being persecuted.

Side note: I was watching an episode of "The Osbournes" a couple of years ago and Sharon was telling her dad how Kelly called 911 on her for smacking her on the cheek. The 911 operator asked why her mom smacked her and Kelly replied something like "I told her to s*#$ a donkey's $*@#." The operator told her that she deserved what she got and to never call back LOL .
    <?php echo "Signature here"; ?>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast