Question What Happens When I Get A Dedicated Server?

I am puzzled on what happens after I get a dedicated server. What will I need to install? How do I make new clients(with cpanel?) ?

So I will get the server, install apache, php5, then cpanel, and whm?

I would really appreciate it if someone would point me to a guide, or tell me, how to set up everything, and kind of what it does, and how it works.

Thanks.

It depends on how your server is configured. Who did you order your server from? What are the specs?

If you aren't sure on how to setup a server I would recommend having someone manage it or at least maybe pay someone to check it over after you think it is good and make sure everything is in order. You wouldn't want to put paying clients on a server if you don't know it is setup correctly. Sometimes you can find a company or person who will walk through it with you for a fee. Might be worth looking into.
    Greg Lubbelinkhof

Hi,

I would like to say that Lubbys advice is very good and you should consider it. The other thing is their are alot of webhosts who are very good at frontend server operations like cpanel or DA or plesk but lack the backend skills needed to perform operations to not only keep the server running smooth but being able to troubleshoot in case of a crisis, which will happen sooner then you think.

If you have paying customers on your server, you will need to be able to respond quickly to their needs and this is where it comes in handy to have a fully managed server through a company that is known for their support. Their a quite a few out their like Servint, liquidweb, Acunett, fullymanaged just to name a few. These companies are usually more expensive per month then lets say an entry server with server matrix but if you are going to be forking over $40 here and $75 an hour their to an outsourced admin everytime you have a issue then it is worth paying for a managed server.

It is very nice to know that if a customer has a problem that you can't figure out, all you have to do is shoot a support ticket to your server admin and you will have your answers and the problem solved quicky 99% of the time. I myself was on the phone with a client who was having a cgi issue and while I was talking to him, I sent a support request to my admin and while I was still on the phone with the client, I got my response back that problem was solved and what they did to fix it. I told my client that it should be ok now and you have know idea how impressed the client was and how good I felt.

Sorry for rambling on but having a backup support system in place is vital if you are to be successful in this business.

Good Luck!

Re: What Happens When I Get A Dedicated Server?

Originally posted by rudedogg1989
    I am puzzled on what happens after I get a dedicated server. What will I need to install? How do I make new clients(with cpanel?) ?

I would really appreciate it if someone would point me to a guide, or tell me, how to set up everything, and kind of what it does, and how it works.

Thanks.
    What happens after you get a server?

From your tone, i recommend you getting a sysadmin.

But of course, if you still want to do it, you usually harden, secure, install necessary services, modify necessary configurations etc etc.

tldp.org carries guides related to linux. linux.google.com is your best friend. linuxquestions.org is a recommended linux forum =)
    Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

1. Buy Server.

2. Update all software and apply Security Hardening

OR

2. Get hacked.
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

Thanks.
    It definitely seems as though you will need a system admin to get you going and watch over things. You don't just put yourself at risk with an unsecured server but others on the net (SPAM, DDoS, etc).

what will I need to know to run the server, I have a large assortment of ebooks, and am willing to read a linux one. What linux os is best? I have some experiance with SuSe 9.2 pro, but am still a noob at it. It seems like everyone is using redhat, may I ask why?

Thanks for the replys so far guys, I don't want a managed server, I am doing this to gain experiance, and a little cash never hurt anybody :p

What will I need to know to run the server?

Linux shell commands, Linux terminology, what packages and software does what, how to keep them updates, et cetera..

What Linux OS is best?

There is no "best" but a lot of people are using CentOS.

Why is everyone using RedHat?

Everyone will give you a different answer to this. However, RedHat's free versions are now at their EOL, or End of Life. This means that they are no longer supported. Red Hat Enterprise Linux, which is what most people who go paid use, is licensed from a datacenter or bought directly for quite a decent fee. Fedora, another version, is the "testing grounds" for RHEL.

CentOS is a distrobution compiled from the RHEL core, which is why you want it as far as RedHat goes.

I am doing this to gain experiance, and a little cash never hurt anybody

It can. If you are becoming a host, I would not recommend it. What you are doing is like trying to start a restaurant and asking how to cook pasta--it just won't work.

You can always setup a cheap PC at home and install CentOS on it, and work with that. When you're more familiar with it, rethink what you want to do.

Hope that helps!

If you just want to learn how to operate a dedictaed server you should get a VPS. You can get a small VPS from http://www.jvds.com and http://www.linode.com. A VPS will give you most of the same features as a dedicated server without the hefty fee.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Definitely take the advice of the folks here on this thread and either learn how to operate a server on a test machine (i.e. home PC loaded with Linux) or on a shared VPS account... prior to trying to manage your own dedicated server.

And if that isn't an option - definitely get a support company on board to back you up. In most cases, they should be able to help patch up and security harden your server before it is ever loaded with any customer applications and in doing so, they can also setup the proper monitoring tools to properly watch it after the fact.
    CDGcommerce.com - Trusted Merchant Account Solutions since 1998
    Many thousands of successful, growing businesses benefit from our expertise every day. You can, too!
    We help merchants to eliminate gateway costs, reduce & mitigate fraud and achieve streamlined PCI compliance.
    Learn more today at http://www.cdgcommerce.com - we look forward to helping your business grow!

If your so inexperienced, I suggest you get it from a company that has most of the programs pre-installed. Or get find a reliable managed server.

The best advice is to get a VPS or a managed server which may cost slightly more but would give you peace of mind knowing that you will be in good hands when you run into a problem.
    HostPromoter.net - www.hostpromoter.net
    Get your hosting business submitted to 100+ hosting directories.
    WebSitePromoter - www.wspromoter.com
    Get your sites submitted to 1500 Search Engine Friendly Directories!

Thanks.
    I'd definately suggest getting a SysAdmin to install cPanel for you.

I think your best plan if you don't want to get a sysadmin is: Get a trial license from cPanel, setup a Fedora Core or something box on Virtual PC or a cheap box and try installing cPanel on it. Wipe the box, try again. Once you've done it 5 times without any fails, then try using WHM. Once you know WHM by heart (Simulate some signups) and know how to put your site up, etc.... then, go buy it.

However, it depends who you buy from. If your server is managed, voila, you're sorted and just get them to do it for you. If you server is unmanaged with no software, just an OS, then you're working from scratch.

And renember- server OSes have no GUI installed by datacenters/hosts normally. This may be obvious to you but most people I know forget that all the time ><

Does The Planet offer fully managed dedicated servers???

Originally posted by joephill
    Server Matrix does provide semi-managed service. If you're stepping up to a dedicated server from a reseller account, they're one of the companies I could watch you get a server from and not cringe.
    If the bigger hosts are fancy French restaurants, consider my service the friendly small-town diner.
    HostMidwest.com- you deserve honest, helpful, and reliable service!

They offer servers, and also management services.

they are very good right?

they are very good right?
    Good is relative. I host paid personal, small business, and small organization websites, and I would feel very comfortable putting my clients there.

It really depends on who you're hosting and what SLA you're willing to offer. Anyone with SLA's<=99.95% should be OK there.
    If the bigger hosts are fancy French restaurants, consider my service the friendly small-town diner.
    HostMidwest.com- you deserve honest, helpful, and reliable service!