Scripts Slow on VPS?

Just read the message comparing dedicated with VPS on D board.
    They said VPS is ok for static sites, but when using CPU powers for scripts etc, the power will be very limisted and very slow. I guess it will be worse than a Shared, because the overhead will be greater in this case.

I am trying to understand the benchmark for VPS and Dedi. Could anyone tell me what those numbers mean in real life? such as VPS with 200hz and 256m can handle 5 php requests without database or 3 php requests with database connection. etc...

I tried the serveint's download test file. It is fast, but it is a none script static file. I am not sure how to test the CPU power on a VPS from a web browser.
    Trusted

You won't be able to test it from a browser - unless you find some busy website you KNOW is hosted on a VPS with certain parameters, has some well-known scripting engine and a visible user counter. This way, you'll be able to at least *estimate* the load this VPS can handle.

But I'd say it isn't realistic - easier just to buy some cheap VPS and check everything out.
    First Amendment of a webhost: if you fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

Good Question. I never test it before, anyone?

VPS's are very CPU limited, if you've got a board that uses a lot of queries, or a portal such as Xoops, it'll be considerably slower. This is where shared hosting has its advantage.

Dan
    █ Dan Kitchen | Technical Director | Razorblue
    █ ddi: (+44) (0)1748 900 680 | e: dkitchen@razorblue.com
    █ UK Intensive Managed Hosting, Clusters and Colocation.
    █ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).