New to the server world

Hi, i am interested in purchasing a dedicated server for the purpose of selling game servers. I was hoping somebody could help me out on what the first steps are after I rent a server from ev1. Basically what i need to know is what softwhere i will need to install and any other of the basics.

You most definitely need to install the game servers on the machine. Also Teamspeak, a billing system and an FTP server to say the least.

Of course, you need to ensure that the server is secured, unnecessary services turned off and the latest patches are installed for what you need.

You could look at installing a game control panel such as
    http://gamecp.com/ or just get a server from http://www.insomnia365.com .

Basically before you ever do anything, you need to know which operating system you want to use, which game you want to support and how many games you want to sell. Games can be quite CPU intensive so unlimited number of games would not cut it.

The market is quite saturated, the users very demanding and the profit is very thin.

I'll second eddy's choice of insomnia365.

They run on TP's network and their CP for games makes it easy to install and administrate games.

you need to know at yet some basic server admin issues before you get a server to avoid any further issues happen... good luck

Originally posted by cheyenne1212
    I'll second eddy's choice of insomnia365.

They run on TP's network and their CP for games makes it easy to install and administrate games.
    I know one of the guys who helped write the Cortex control panel for them, so I am biased, but it is a turnkey solution and an easy interface.

If you want ot know more PM me
    "Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work." (Robert Orben)