Decent domain register/web hosting?

Hi everyone. This is my first post, and obviously I'm a new member, so I hope I'm not repeating any past posts. If I am, I apologize.

Anyways, basically I'm really new to buying my own domain name. I want my own webspace because I've gotten to the point where free webhosters (freewebs, geocities, etc.) don't allow enough bandwidth or storage that I need.

Basically, I play a strategy game called Starcraft. I'm making basically a fansite for it, and I plan to host files related to the game. I don't know if anyone here knows what it is, but yeah.

I'm just wondering where a good, safe place to buy a domain from is, and how to obtain webspace.

Keep in mind I know absolutely nothing about this, so please keep the insults to a minimum.

Thanks, RPF

Hello rpf289 and welcome to WHT!

To register your domain name I can recommend Namecheap. I use and it has a good reputation on this board.

To obtain webspace you have to sign-up for a hosting account with a hosting company. As a custoemr it is best to keep your domains separated from your host (maybe the host turns bad and hijacks or holds you domains hostage if you want to move; it has happened before). To point the domain to the server where your account is, you will have to change nameservers as instructed by your host.

After that it might take a while for the domain to propagate. Wait patiently. I would only start to be concerned after 24-48 hours, but for new .com and .net domains it really shouldn't take that long.

After that I'm sure you're familiar with the uploading process. It might take a while to get used to the new control panel used by the new host, but most of them are quite easy to use. Besides, if there's anything you don't understand, as a paying customer, you have the right to ask the host for support.

Keep in mind I know absolutely nothing about this, so please keep the insults to a minimum.
    Insults are against the rules. If you see such a thing happening, you can report the offending post via the "Report this post to a Community Liaison" link.

Also, hosts are not allowed to offer you hosting just because you posted this thread. I would be wary of any hosts doing that.

If you have any additional questions, feel free to post them here and most likely there will be someone online to answer them for you.

Before you sign-up with a host, do a proper research on it: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search.php?s= . Unfortunately, there are bad paid hosts, just like there are bad free hosts, so you must be careful.

How much space and data transfer are you currently using? What's your estimated budget? The answers to these questions might help those wanting to suggest a host, to more or less fit your particular needs.

Good luck!

Well, I plan to mostly be hosting files related to the game. Just replays of games, and replays that include audio commentary done by me. The replays are usually less than 500kb, and the audio commentated files are between 1mb and 10mb. My video files are betweeb 50bm and 200bm. =\ Other than that I'll be hosting pictures and audio files of me rambling, Hey, I have odd hobbies.

I would think I'd need half-decent bandwidth, and a good amount of webspace.

I am just unsure of how the domain and host is different. If you could explain the theory of it, I'd appreciate it.

Web hosting is the provision of allocated space on a server that has a permanent connection to the Internet. This allows people from all over the world (maybe) to see your website 24/7 or maybe not .

A domain is a unique name with an extension (.com , .net) that you register for yourself, your business or w/e. These domain names are addresses which typically point to webhosting's nameservers.

So purchasing a domain and hosting service is two entirely different things?

Also, in the second replay in this thread, it was mentioned that keeping domains separate from hosts is a good idea. How do you do that?

You can get both solutions, hosting and purchase a domain from the same company, just make sure they register the domain in your name.
    Link On Us .com
    H-Sphere Windows & Linux Hosting - Since 1998
    ----------------------------------------------
    One Wilshire Corridor, Los Angeles, Calif

Also, in the second replay in this thread, it was mentioned that keeping domains separate from hosts is a good idea. How do you do that?
    It's a good idea because,

1. If the host went down your domain will still be alive, you can just update the new nameservers.
    2. If you have hosting/domain with the same company.. what if the company dies/disappears your done.

Buying a domain from a well-known company is highly recommended. ( GoDaddy, Enom, etc... )

Not to get too far off subject but just because you can waste 2million on a super bowl ad does not mean you are going to stay in business. Remember pets.com and the rest of the big dot gones you use to see. The only register that will probably always be around is networksolutions.com and probably opensrs.com
    Link On Us .com
    H-Sphere Windows & Linux Hosting - Since 1998
    ----------------------------------------------
    One Wilshire Corridor, Los Angeles, Calif

Getting back to the how to:
    First have an email address that you will be using for your whois contact. It will need to be a functional address, not one you plan to have in the future when your domain will be set up. You can change the address later to something else after that is functional. You might want to avoid using an address that you dearly want to keep out of the hands of spammers. Unless you buy privacy protection from a registry that offers this, whois-listed addresses get harvested by the spammers.
    Having done this, pick a registry service and get your domain registered in your name.
    Then pick a hosting service and arrange a hosting account for your domain. The hosting service should provide you with instructions on how to upload your webpages to their servers. They will also provide you with a primary and secondary nameserver.
    Go back into your registry account and enter the nameservers. This will now make the domain connect to the hosting account and open up the webpages that you have loaded on the hosting service. This may take from a few hours to a few days to propagate on the web.
    If you want to change hosts, create a new hosting account, and then go into your registry account to change nameservers.

You can change your whois listed email in your registry account. Don't destroy the old email account until you have confirmed that the change is working. They may need to email the last previous whois-listed address to confirm the change.

Remember which company you registered your domain with. If your whois data is not privacy protected, unscrupulous companies will send you spam and snail mail to trick you into "renewing" (actually transferring) with their crappy registry.

Ahh, thank you. Seems like a bit of a tedious process. =(

It may seem a bit intimidating at first, but it's really not that bad when you get used to it. Doing this with separate companies is not terribly harder than doing this within a single company that does registry and hosting.
    Is the domain you're thinking of moving one for which you have Yahoo/Geocities registry and hosting? There are some things to beware of. Don't pull the plug on the Yahoo account until you have made the transfer. Yahoo doesn't do registry--they outsource it to MelbourneIT. I suggest getting the MelbourneIT key so you'll have control over your registry account. If you pull the plug prematurely on Yahoo hosting, it might destroy the email address listed in the MelbourneIT whois, and then you will be unable to confirm changes. I made that mistake. It was just after having done that that I started visiting this message board and needed to choose a nickname.
    Last edited by Disgruntled; 02-22-2005 at 04:44 AM.

Hmm, chances are I wasn't going to ave any correlation between the two. I just planned to find a good place to use to host and also buy a domain name with, and then put everything up that I needed.

I currently use Godaddy for both. There are criticisms of them, but I find they work well enough for me.
    Registerfly could be okay for registry, but I found their hosting unreliable.
    Godaddy, Registerfly, and Network Solutions are registries that offer optional privacy protection.

I would always register a domain name seperate from a hosting company.

And also, Starcraft...the brings back memories for me

off-topic : are maphackers still prevalent in the game? That's why I stopped playing, just curious to see how the SC community is, these days

Originally posted by Xc0m
    I would always register a domain name seperate from a hosting company.

And also, Starcraft...the brings back memories for me

off-topic : are maphackers still prevalent in the game? That's why I stopped playing, just curious to see how the SC community is, these days
    yes, but with the addition ofa program that you use to review your replay files, you know if the other players were making suspicious actions. For example, every time you click someone else's building or something, it's recorded. So when you see that they clicked you Command Center or something at 1:00 into the game, you know they hacked. For the most part just joining a small community will be safe from hackers.

if you want to see how the starcraft community developed, visit www.teamliquid.net =)

by the way, does it matter who you register the domain with? i mean is there any difference in quality? =)

Most of the bigger domain name registrars are okay. The problem with going with a webhost registering your domain name is they CAN (alot of bad webhosts out there) put it under their name and force you to stay with them as a client for as long as you want to use that domain. It's just playing it safe by registering it yourself

That particular scenario is a function of the webhost/registry being unscrupulous. It's possible to get hosting/registry from an honest company and have that not happen.
    There may still be good reasons to keep them separate, even when the companies are honest. A company may be better at one kind of service than the other. A security breach in one is less destructive when they can only mess with one function but not both.

I have found that some of the bigger name registrars are a real pain in my butt when I buy a already existing domain and try to transfer it. I myself use one service for both hosting and registration. The registration is set up by my hosting company linkonus.com and they also do the hosting. Because of the way it is structured I always deal with the same two agents and they take care of all my registrar needs as required and I don't have to fool with that end on it. I supose it is a matter of preference and experience. I've always had problems with the bigger companies when I attempt a move one way of the other. (some hoop to jump through, drivers license etc...) but never with the company I'm with now. The hosting is excellent for the price too. Good luck to you.

I would personally buy hosting and domain from same 1 place. with year package you usually get the domain for free

Originally posted by kroisantt
    I would personally buy hosting and domain from same 1 place. with year package you usually get the domain for free

Not always a good idea...

I would never pay full year for hosting - if the host goes bad or you have serious problems, look who lost their money.

I would recommend ukreg for a domain registrar have used them for domains for all our customers who wished to purchase domains, there one of the cheapest around and have a simple control panel to simply change the ns records for a domain unlike other registrars that i have used in the past were it wasnt as easy as it could be to change things like that......

Anyway my vote goes to ukreg