Caught my first fraud order!

Tried to order by Paypal and thanks to my time on these forums I knew what to look for. Ordered the biggest package we have, names didn't match between the Paypal account and the order.

Was a non-verified Paypal order. Contacted Paypal and yep it was a fradulent order.

My thanks to this forum for the constant education I get from being around here!

Congrats..good job on catching it.

You the man redone! You caught me j/k
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Well I read so many horror stories of people allowing accounts to be set up automatically I took the decision to be involved in approving account myself.

This one said fraud from the minute I received the Paypal notification about it and sure enough later on that day Paypal contacted me regarding the order.

My thanks to this forum and its members for the education!

It used to be just CC fraud that we had to look out for until the major PayPal phishing scams came out... It's annoying, but it's just another part of being in this business, now.

Good job...?

I'm not sure whether to compliment you or feel bad for you...

I've just started to manually screen my orders, I suppose i've been lucky previously by not having any fraud accounts; but i'm manually authorising all new accounts from now on.

The H-Sphere Control Panel supports fraud prevention automatically.

http://psoft.net/HSdocumentation/res...nup_guard.html

We have a list of domains that you do not what people to sighup as. They are mostly used for spammers to send out emails as.

LINKPT.NET; EBAYVERIFICATIONS.COM; PLUGNPAY.COM; SPAMFREEAMERICA.COM; WWW.HOTMAIL.COM; SECURE.AUTHORIZE.NET; AUTHORIZE.NET; EMATIC.COM; WWW.PAYREADY.NET; WWW.JAREDS-CASTLE.ORG; SECUREPAY.COM; WWW.SIGNIO.COM; MSN.COM; WWW.LINKPT.NET; HOTMAIL.COM; WWW.2CHECKOUT.COM; PAYPAL.COM; JAREDS-CASTLE.ORG; EPDQ.CO.UK; PAYREADY.NET; RR-N1-TOR.OPENSRS.NET; SKIPJACKIC.COM; WWW.PAYPAL.COM; WWW.SKIPJACKIC.COM; CYBERCASH.COM; STAGING.LINKPT.NET; WWW.MEDISTARHLTHPLAN.COM; SECURE-TEST.BIBIT.COM; PSIGATE.COM; MEDISTARHLTHPLAN.COM; OPENSRS.NET; WWW.YAHOO.COM; YAHOO.COM; WWW.AUTHORIZENET.COM; WWW.EMATIC.COM; TESTPAYSRV.EPX.COM; DEVELOPER.SKIPJACKIC.COM; SECURE2.EPDQ.CO.UK; WWW.MEDISTARHP.NET; WWW.PLUGNPAY.COM; WWW.PSOFT.COM; WWW.CYBERCASH.COM; AUTHORIZENET.COM; PSOFT.COM; AOL.COM; WWW.IONGATE.COM; HELOSOFT.COM; SECURE.IONGATE.COM; WWW.EBAYVERIFICATIONS.COM; WWW.PSOFT.NET; WWW.AOL.COM; 2CHECKOUT.COM; WWW.SPAMFREEAMERICA.COM; SUREPAY.COM; WWW.BIBIT.COM; IONGATE.COM; WWW.SECUREPAY.COM; WWW.SUREPAY.COM; MEDISTARHEALTH.COM; WWW.MSN.COM; WWW.HELOSOFT.COM; SECURE.PSIGATE.COM; SIGNIO.COM; EPX.COM; WWW.AUTHORIZE.NET; CONNECT.SIGNIO.COM; WWW.PSIGATE.COM; XML.SUREPAY.COM; CR.CYBERCASH.COM; WWW.EPX.COM; BIBIT.COM; PSOFT.NET; MEDISTARHP.NET;
    Link On Us .com
    H-Sphere Windows & Linux Hosting - Since 1998
    ----------------------------------------------
    One Wilshire Corridor, Los Angeles, Calif

Some CC processors automatically tag orders that use a hotmail (and other free e-mail providers) address as a possible fraudalent order.
    Mark Stevens
    GHXhosting.com Ltd - Shared & Reseller Hosting
    (UK/US) Dedicated Servers & VPS
    Server-Help.co.uk Experienced Linux server admin for hire

Fraud Prevention

We use modernbill, but no longer use the autoenable setting because of the fraud issue. We also use Fraud Guardian as well as phone verification for higher priced accounts.

It is unbelievable, but there is a ton of fraud out their for web hosting purchases.

You can't run a company without fraud checking anymore. I get PayPal phishing e-mails all the time, and some people just fall for them very easily.

I enjoy entering in at least 100 fake paypal usernames and passwords when I get a phishing E-mail.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Automatic hosting account setup, although great to be able to promise to potential customers, has gotten just too dangerous to do. You've just got to screen applications - credit card details, email address, domain name used, match to physical address.
    Glad you caught this one.

Originally posted by justadollarhostin
    I enjoy entering in at least 100 fake paypal usernames and passwords when I get a phishing E-mail.
    lol good idea

It makes no sense to make a fraud purchase on a subscription basis if you want to keep receiving hosting... makes you just go, huh?!

Always write down their domain name, I dealt with fraud orders and after suspending their account do to the chargeback, they still came back and signed up with another fake account / or stolen account. Asking for the same domain name to be resetup. I guess that's good because we looked so big, he figured we won't notice.

You should consider getting a phone call verification system such as Varilogix FraudCall. We have had 0% fraud since we have been with them, and offers way more features and is much easier than FraudCall.
    ColoInSeattle - From 1U to cage space colocation in Seattle
    ServerStadium - Affordable Dedicated Servers
    Come visit our 18k sq ft. facility in Seattle!
    Managed Private Cloud | Colocation | Disaster Recovery | Dedicated Servers

Yeah the only thing is if you say all free emails are fraud what about the people who dont have a website and dont have an email setup already?

Not all free e-mail are spam/fraud. Like I said, you should consider putting in place a call verification system.
    ColoInSeattle - From 1U to cage space colocation in Seattle
    ServerStadium - Affordable Dedicated Servers
    Come visit our 18k sq ft. facility in Seattle!
    Managed Private Cloud | Colocation | Disaster Recovery | Dedicated Servers

Yeah those are pretty cool but I dont own a paid hosting company so its not worth it for me.

good catch

we get a lot of those kinds, it was pretty tough in the beginning but now our staff is trained to deal with these kind of things