Question vB Forum User Using a Proxy Server to Create False Accounts?

Hi,

We recently had a trouble maker register on our forums and start causing problems and flaming members. Using vBulletin's control panel, I saw that this person's ip address was 209.64.87.68.

This ip apparently resovled to: mfhnnadn01sun.nissan-usa.com

Also, the user's email account used the @nissan-usa.com domain as well. The strange part is that we require email validation, so this user must have been able to activate his/her account and that makes be think they somehow got the email from our server. There are a few other members that appear to share this ip (one of which is a known troublemaker), which makes me think that this could have been accomplished through the use of a proxy server, correct?

I tried to ping the ip and resolved domain using my laptop and neither worked. I have a hard time believing that this could have been coming from someone at Nissan USA.

Might anyone know how I could figure out the validity of the email address and ip address and what steps to take next. The user is already banned, but we'd like to nip this in the bud before they think they can get away with something like this all the time.

Thanks,

Mark

Why would it be unthinkable that an employee at Nissan would cause trouble on your forums? With the evidence given, that what it seems to point to.
    Matt Wade
    Christian Web Hosting
    http://codewalkers.com/ - Home of the PHP Coding Contest
    http://phphosts.codewalkers.com/ - Directory of PHP Web Hosts. Free Listing.

It just seems to strange being that the user's email address was similar to the trouble maker's name. Nissan USA is based in CA as far as I know and this person lives in Texas.

I guess I will try and find out if this person works at Nissan as their email address has their full name. That should give the best answer.

Mark