do you tell your relatives about your ecommerce site?

1) do you tell your relatives about your ecommerce site? and why?
    if yes, what happens after that? does it cause you harm or good?

2) i ask such question coz i m considering whether i should tell my relatives and my parents' friends about my ecommerce site
    p.s. the city i live in is not the country which my ecommerce site wish to target
    CDHouse.Biz
    Cheap Linux, FreeBSD, OpenOffice CDs

Unless it's something you're ashamed of I don't really see why you wouldn't if it was brought up in a conversation. Normally when I have relatives ask me what I do for a living, I hand them a business card which has my main website on it, from there they can find the others if they're interested. When this happens, I've even gotten some business from some of my relatives' clients

At time relatives can be a pain .....especially when you have money and they think you dont need it.

Only if it comes up in conversation.
    Or if I can see profit or something good comming out of this.

I don't have any problem telling them about my sites. Of course, if I had any sites that were umm, how should I put this, adult related, then I probably wouldn't discuss it. lol.

There's nothing worse than trying to tell your relatives, who don't understand the internet, what web hosting is, and how you make a living doing it. I dread having to go through the whole "it's like virtual leasing apartment buildings", speel, when they ask me what I do.

I was at a family function a while back, and the topic of me selling my business came up, and the subsequent building of our home etc. My uncle then said loudly, "well Robbie, I don't know what you did, to get where you got, but obviously what you did, did it, whatever it is that you did"

BTW, noone gets to call me Robbie, unless you're a blood relative!
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

never!!

They start ordering without paying :p

Peace,
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...

Ok robbie , joking. But a nice situation. It can be a real pain to explain people or relatives about the online business you have. Usually you'll have to start with answering the question "what is internet and how can you get a living ..." and so on. People who are not into computers and internet usually don't understand what you are doing.

youre kidding right??

you guys ever watch the beverly hillbillies?
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

I have no problem with telling them about my hosting site, it's just my job and there's nothing strange or anything about it, but I am a bit more careful with giving out the address to my personal website!

I tell everyone I can about my company! I host a quite a few sites for my Uncle who is in the Music Industry and some other sites about Ireland for family members there.
    Steve

Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    There's nothing worse than trying to tell your relatives, who don't understand the internet, what web hosting is, and how you make a living doing it. I dread having to go through the whole "it's like virtual leasing apartment buildings", speel, when they ask me what I do.
    Haha, I know exactly what you mean! I've started carrying around with me about three pages from the business plan which are just definitions of everything with photo's in pretty simple form so when asked "what exactly do you do again?" I just hand them that
    Chief brew-maker at several hosting brands since 2002.

FLXI | UK based, cPanel/WHM reseller hosting
    Pay-as-you-go billing, why pay for what you don't use?

Originally posted by Jim_UK
    Haha, I know exactly what you mean! I've started carrying around with me about three pages from the business plan which are just definitions of everything with photo's in pretty simple form so when asked "what exactly do you do again?" I just hand them that
    Haha, I bet they wish they didn't ask when you hand them that

Most of my family/friends/relatives have some idea about the work I do. However, if I were to ask anyone anything specific about it; the only one who would be able to answer would be my girlfriend.
    * Best Web Hosting - Submit your host to our directory and become one of our top 10 web hosts.

I tell all my relatives, family, friends about my business as well... Some of my relatives are my best customers because they need me to develop sites for them, and help them maintain them (My entire family is very entrepreneurial).

I also tell everyone about other e-commerce sites that I have developed for customers. I'm proud of the work I do, and want to help my customers succeed as well.