Page 1 of 42 123411 ... LastLast

Oktagone - Disgusted

It is with much regret I post this negative account on this board.

Unfortunately, I started hosting with Oktagone.net a few months ago. Since then, we have had nothing but trouble, downtime, rude, and unresponsive dealings with "Greg".

Besides the appalling downtime rates, the customer service is absolutely dispicable. For weeks, I have been sending emails - and have had no response.

Greg, is never contactable - he is only ever responsive when he needs to charge my credit card. I have tried for 2 weeks solid, to contact him on the phone number provided. I have also tried contacting the US Numbers, but they will not recognise number input from my phone, and thus the call hangs. Over, and over and over again.

Greg also tried to 'port us over' to a dedicated server without any consultation, and tried to illegally charge my credit card for a memory upgrade which was not authorised by me - I simply got an email stating that the transaction for the memory upgrade amount was declined.

We had initially authorised the charge, however he had transferred us to the Ensim server to avoid that charge, and cleary stated that in an email to me. He then tried to charge us for it, and show me old emails to justify his illegal actions.

They have now suspended my website without ANY email explaining why - their server is yet again down, so they take it out on their customers. All my members have is a page saying "Website is supended, please contact billing department" - so they think we haven't paid for our service. This makes my blood boil.

This company is the opitomy of bad service. They have cost me so much money - because of my downtime, and because of advertisers lost.

They now will not respond to my email requests - and will not give my database bacK

I am trying to move to a new host but without my database i have no chance.
      0 Not allowed!

did u make backups of your site?
      0 Not allowed!

double post.
    Last edited by ~Sophie~; 01-28-2005 at 05:56 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

Hi,

Yes I did make backups - Unfortunately though, the last I made was a few weeks ago.

With 500 new members signing up per day, that means ALOT of lost data.

Yes stupid me - stupid me.
      0 Not allowed!

Well, if they don't give back your database. I guess you lost it

Thanks for your warning and hopefully everyone who reads this will note it!
      0 Not allowed!

Sophie,

You have not requested your database from us, all you have done, is threaten us with Legal action.

Your site was suspended, because it has been causing load averages of 2.0+ for the past 4 months, of which we have been in constant contact with yourself (Shelly) and your partner David.

We upgraded the RAM on the server in the understanding you were going to pay a $50 fee to cover the upgrade, however you refused to pay it.

This has still to date not been paid, and, we suspended your account exactly 14 days after notifying you by email that such actions would be taken.

If you would like a copy of your database and site files, we are happy to give them to you, as your normal monthly fees are up to date, however, we will not allow your site to continue abusing such large CPU/Memory utilisation in a shared environment.

Your reseller account with us is still active, and i believe 3 other sites are still operating fully.

Greg
      0 Not allowed!

No Greg, You didn't notify us that you would suspend the account. That is not true.

Its funny, in the past 3 weeks, we have tried to contact you - at least 100 times- but you are unavailable, but within 2 hours of posting this you are here?

I have tried to deal with you via email, but you are not willing to act professionally, You have left us no choice, but to persue legal action in regards to this issue.

We were not notified of anything, that is totally untrue - nowhere do I have an email from you since the time i discussed and proved to you that you were incorrect and charging my credit card unlawfully.

Your company has very bad business practises Greg, and you tell lies in order to get yourself out of sticky situations. Our site is NOT using the amounts of server load you have dreamed up - ever since the new caching was introduced the server loads have been right down, so your claims are unfounded and simply not true.

Your company needs an overhaul, the best place to start would be for you to firstly brush up on your social skills - you need to communicate better.

Secondly, you need to do a course in business practise, ethics, and law .

Thirdly, Untill you are better equipped to deal with genuine customers, and issues that arise, whilst employing ethical standards and good practise, I suggest you take some time off to reassess your business direction and goals.
      0 Not allowed!

Hope you guys get this worked out and you find a host will realistic plans and pricing and who communicates them to you-compared to your needs and use patterns-clearly. If you're running a big, high traffic forum, you need a host that is expecting to deliver those loads & traffic going in...not later as an upgrade.
    Big-high traffic forum owners tend to post these type experiences a lot. Often because of the "CPU-memory" clause. Those forums sometimes require more specialized hosting. (and no, we don't do big traffic-high load forum hosting for really big forums...just an observation)
    If you keep going with 500 sign-ups a day you may need a dedicated for that one before too long.
    Last edited by DDT; 01-28-2005 at 07:43 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks DDT - Although, I liked your un-edited post better

We don't have a forum - we serve dynamic (cached) graphics which are updated daily - our traffic is plentiful, but constant minor hits, the problem occurs when the logs are being processed - and this was not an issue at all prior to this unexpected suspension without warning or explanation.

Regardless, this isn't a sour grapes vent.. this is an exhausted, very reasonable customer who has had enough of being treated like she doesn't exist.

Trust me in saying that I am a very patient person, and unless i was at my wits end i would definitely not be here saying the things I have about a company like this.

I actually feel a duty to tell others about it, and I believe the said company should be accountable for treating its customers so terribly, if only I had found this site prior to joining Oktagone, I wouldn't need to be here complaining about it at all.
      0 Not allowed!

Sophie, there are hundreds, maybe thousands of great web hosts out there who will provide great services. If you're interested in a new host, give the Host Quote feature a try or do some research in the Hosting Offers forum. (That's if you're looking to move)

Good luck with your current situation and I hope all can be resolved
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks Jason. I agree, there must be some good hosts out there, Heading up to quote feature now.

Greg has since contacted me and is working towards a solution, which is good. Hopefully we can put it to rest asap.
      0 Not allowed!

Heading up to quote feature now.
    Do not trust hosts blingly. They're not screened by anyone, so you must do your own research: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search.php?s=

I usually recommend http://findmyhosting.com/advancedsearch.asp as a tool that can broaden ones choices. Proper research is still needed though.

Greg has since contacted me and is working towards a solution, which is good. Hopefully we can put it to rest asap.
    Yes, it would be great if things would be straightened out.

I am trying to move to a new host but without my database i have no chance.
    That serves as a proof that you should always have a reasonably recent back-up on hand so that moving in emergency situations won't be a problem.

Good luck Sophie!
      0 Not allowed!

Glad you got to see the unedited version. It was more accurate & detailed but I got my first ever WHT warning the other day (3 strikes & you're out) and they have never responded to my support request about why other people post very similar thing but I got a "warning".
    I detest rules breakers so I have never done so intentionally but they say I did so I had second thoughts and edited the post here to be extra careful.
    I guess the mods are watching me because I have been critical of some of their policies & features like Host Quote & HostVoice (no details this time, critical is a good enough description).
    So I took some of the obvious facts out of my original post. They are there but could be construed a a rules violation since I was going only by what their web site said and have never personally dealt with them.
      0 Not allowed!

I guess the mods are watching me because I have been critical of some of their policies & features like Host Quote & HostVoice (no details this time, critical is a good enough description).
    You may criticize those features if you find them faults. The moderators do not own the forums, so they won't have a grudge on you because of that.
      0 Not allowed!

I've been with OktaGone for like a month, I don't even wanted to talk about it my *EXTREMELY* bad experience.

I think there's only 1 support guy behind their company, Greg.
    The support takes like 24 hours to respond (Email).. sometimes when you ask them a question on aim, no respond, even though when I know they came back from idle.

1 More thing.. *Shutting down your server, format, not telling you, no proof*
    Last edited by eSited; 01-28-2005 at 10:00 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

We are going through a testing month, we are expanding big time in Australia, moving our call center and datacenter to a new location in the City, which has meant our existing customer support team has been unavailable for large periods of time.

We are hoping to have all systems back online, and support capacity back by the 3rd - 4th of Feb.
      0 Not allowed!

Testing and expanding should never be done at current customer's expense. It is no excuse for having support unreachable.

Hoping to have systems back online does nothing to make your current customers happy. Perhaps this expansion and testing should have been thought out a bit more, if this is the result.

Hopefully you have learned from this experience and can adapt and adjust to assure it isn't going to happen again.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by MMMedia
    Testing and expanding should never be done at current customer's expense. It is no excuse for having support unreachable.

Hoping to have systems back online does nothing to make your current customers happy. Perhaps this expansion and testing should have been thought out a bit more, if this is the result.
    Your attitude reminds me of a quote:
    It's a funny thing about life; if you refuse to accept anything but the best, you very often get it. - Somerset Maugham
    PS I have a similar view
      0 Not allowed!

yes, not really an excuse.
    the problem with excuses are that even when they are good, they arnt.
      0 Not allowed!

Another Oktagone.net Topic?! GREG! PLEASE READ!

Hi all,
    as you all can tell - i'm a newb to the forum, but it BAFFLES me how i've had to quite literally track down OKTAGONE.NET and any information/issues/problems/reviews after the run around Myself and 2 other friends (which are undergoing the same issue since we're splitting the web space) that they're giving us.

First off, i'd like to say that I'm sorry Greg if you feel as if i'm just bashing you and what have you, but i'm just a concerned person whom has purchased some web space from you (oktagone.net) and have become very unhappy with the way we're being treated.

The Dilema:

We were under ****** (great company to us any ways) and they've served us well, but lately they've been acting up on us (this is coming from a 4 - 5 years of ****** user) so, we've decided to look onto other hosting. A good friend of ours suggested OKTAGONE.NET so we went for it. Little did we know that their 48 - 72 hours really meant "a week if you're lucky". I recieved my Invoice via e-mail on Jan 26th of 2005, but i had purchased on the 25th (it was late night).. so i was thinking "ok so far so good..." then shortly there after, we got our log-in info and all, we were stoked because so far... so good! THEN THE FUN BEGAN. Hope you're ready

the log-in that they gave us was wrong, the password didn't work, the domain name WHICH WE HAVE PURCHASED thru them hasn't been attached to the ip address... so we said "ok, we have 72 hours max so lets wait a while"... we waited... waited... AND WAITED! boy we're we on time... 72 hours passed (afte an email stating wtf was going to their support team... that didn't work, so we emailed the sales)... we got a reply stating that they're moving offices, and it may take up to 48 hours for a reply.. so again, we stayed calm about it, even though our one partner in crime was ready to rip someone's man-hood off...

long story short:
    it is now Jan. 31st... do we have a domain? NOPE, are have we gotten an answer as to any of our calls, emails since then? (and trust me, we have done so)... yeah ok ha! all we want is access to our cpanel, our domain to work, and to work with the php/mysql since we'll be using that a lot!

Please Greg, PLEASE! help us out! we want to give you guys a chance! but if it keeps going this way, we will be asking for our money back... it's a damn good deal to pass up. Don't make us regret it.

Thank you all, and have a great day.
      0 Not allowed!

Just a little bit of advice, always buy your domain from someone seperate, not from your host. That way, not only is it registered to you and you have access to the domain control panel, you also have the insurance that if your host goes caput, you've still got access to the domain to transfer it.
      0 Not allowed!

aku4lyph, I feel you pain, it is longtime 5 days to setup an account, even with weekend,.... time to look for another one.
      0 Not allowed!

ion - tell me about it, i usually get it from a seperate provider JUST for those same reasons.. i don't know what came over me.

2003 - omfg man, i'm dying over here, as a matter of fact - alot of our old members from our old site are still following strong with us, we have a large amount of members in our forums that want to keep going with us (before we were a nameless forum, but ppl just knew it as THE SPOT)... now that we are Mindless Thoughts, people (even neighbors, co-workers) want to join, SPECIALLY since we've had apparel printed out with our icon guy and our slogan "screw sanity" so ppl would know what's coming... they're all excited, hell i think they're more excited than us, the owners!

i just feel so disapointed, our one guy (acid) is ready to rip into oktagone's cust. service A-hole without the jelly...

i just hope that they'd atleast give us our money back when/if we ask for it.

Greg, where are you?! please... we're giving oktagone until the end of the day.. TODAY (Jan 31st 2005) to get what we deserve, whether it's full refund or what it is that you promise to provide via your web servers (meaning what we paid for)
      0 Not allowed!

I think I actually would prefer to get a refund, Aku. After seeing how business practices are with this company and reading all the negative postings on this forum, I feel I do not want Our Site nor our Partners to be associated with this hosting company. As Aku stated, we have dealt w/ numerous hosting companies, some good...some bad. This one takes the cake. They do nothing that they state, and they totally mislead their customers. It concerns me that a company of this nature would pull some petty newb tactics and not look at its overall priority...ITS CUSTOMERS. I would like to be refunded the total of our purchase or come to some type of agreement IMMEDIATELY. We have been more than patient with your company (if it were me and not aku, I would have our legal department after you asap, be glad he is more patient than I). We waited the mandatory 72 hours, we even waiting an additional 48 hours b/c you are moving. But to not return emails or phone calls is unacceptable. I mean, your a hosting company. Im sure one of you have access to the internet. I carry a damn blackberry to read my emails. Also, if a customer complains or has a problem, I can guarentee you that we take care of it ASAP. Now, I dont know if your waiting for 10-days to be up so you dont have to give us our money back, but rest assured I will make it a personal issue to let everyone know how we were cheated. As you know, time is money, and b/c of your lack of values, we are losing money.

Please contact Aku or Myself immediately to resolve this.

Thank you.

ps- thanks to everyone for their support.

Acid
      0 Not allowed!

oktagone down?

Anybody expereincing prolonged oktagone outage?

greg? any thoughts?
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 42 123411 ... LastLast