hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : Qualifications... NOC Staff / Technician

Forum Jump

Qualifications... NOC Staff / Technician

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-27-2005, 10:17 AM
Disabled

Qualifications... NOC Staff / Technician

Hey,

Right, at the moment i am 17years old and i live in the UK.

I want to work for a datacentre in a position such as Technician / NOC Staff in the next few years.

Just was asking for staff who work for a datacentre on what their qualifications are and what courses or knowledge i should have before i look for work.

I am currently fluent in Linux Distro's and i manage my own set of servers daily.

What kind of salary do Technician's / NOC Staff get yearly.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Chris,

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2005, 10:26 AM
Retired Moderator

I would suggest checking up the careers available at RackSpace:

http://www.rackspace.co.uk/aboutus/employment.php

Even though it is not for UK, you can have an idea, what are the requirements for it.

Also I would suggest experience is very important in the field.

Old 01-27-2005, 11:54 AM
Web Hosting Master

A CCNA is a must, if you get a CCNP and the other range of Cisco certifications, you can get a good pay.

I'd recommend going in for a MCSE and MCSA as well. Adding windows to your already good linux skills gives you good market value.

Salaries vary. Level1 tech with basic experience, Miami Florida... $2500 to $3000 per month. Not sure about the UK

JodoHost.com - Windows VPS Hosting, ASP.NET and SQL Server Hosting
8th year in Business, 200+ Servers. Microsoft Gold Certified Partner

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2005, 01:45 PM
Web Hosting Master

I know that some of the ISP's/Datacenters/NOC's in my area start their level 1 support staff anywhere from $6-10/hr

Old 01-27-2005, 02:21 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by amish_geek
I know that some of the ISP's/Datacenters/NOC's in my area start their level 1 support staff anywhere from $6-10/hr
That low, wow. That is flippin burger pay. If that is the going rate, might be better to go into business for yourself. As for certs I would get you CCNA, and work up to you CCNP, and then if you are a network guru move up to the elite CCIE and make big buck. The CCIE at my job is over 100k. I am paid well for doing Unix/Windows sys admin, and I am not at 100k.

Good Luck in your quest for DC/NOC work. I work in DCs in the corporate world, it is full of late nights, loud fans, and feeling the heat generated off of 34 dell 1750 in a rack with switches and a black box kvm.

Old 01-27-2005, 04:58 PM

I'm a level 2 NOC support engineer in london, I dont deal with the networking side of things howerver I do deal with windows and unix support. I have one a-level.

I've been using windows since age 10 and some form of unix or clone since 1992 (though more seriously since 1997).

I earn ~ 20k per annum before tax paid hourly so depends on how much OT I do.

With this level of knowledge its unlikely I'll get much further so I'm hoping to progress down some kind of cisco/juniper or MS course in the not so distant future.

Old 01-27-2005, 05:34 PM
Web Hosting Master

Cisco qualifications will be needed and probably also the Microsoft Certifications. I think the salary is per hour so it all depends on your hours

Old 01-27-2005, 07:08 PM
Disabled

Ah right,

My Qualification's at present,

GCSE ICT - B
Maths and English - C (doesn't really matter though)

And the other important course is what i'm taking now which is a Two award A-Level in Information & Communication Technology.

I just find managing servers etc... relaxing, i know im strange, but it's the only think which i enjoy doing at the moment.

Chris,

Old 01-27-2005, 07:11 PM

Should do you fine once you get a few years linux/bsd/windows admin under your belt.

Course it wont get you much beyond support tech but a job is a job and a job in a datacentre is damn sweet

Old 01-27-2005, 07:27 PM
Disabled

Yeah that's what i was thinking,

Atm i just manage cPanel RH9 servers, but i am going to try and do some online courses in due time to get some extra skills.

The more the better...

Chris,

Old 02-05-2005, 03:19 PM

If you are looking to get in to Data Centres , I will recommend you go for a Cisco Track . e.g CCNA , CCNP . MCSE Covers LAN which is only suitable for offices not Data Centres

Old 04-12-2005, 10:23 AM
Junior Guru

I've been working in the IT industry for the last 4 years, and am doing pretty well, but you need to know that an alevel in IT is only usefull for getting your foot in the door. i have one, and it was usefull to get me on the bottom of the ladder, a trainee pc builder. But it was the Industry qualifications and experience that makes the big differnce, especially in the pay. I'm now MCSE qualified and have alot of experience with a wide range of technologys. I can demand a pretty good fee now. But you have to keep updating them, being an MCSE in NT4 is now good now!! Do well in your alevel, it will get you in, but don't expect to be running your own data centre with it!

www.windowsserv.com Email: mail@windowsserv.com

Old 04-12-2005, 03:30 PM
Junior Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by Yash-JH
A CCNA is a must, if you get a CCNP and the other range of Cisco certifications, you can get a good pay.

I'd recommend going in for a MCSE and MCSA as well. Adding windows to your already good linux skills gives you good market value.

Salaries vary. Level1 tech with basic experience, Miami Florida... $2500 to $3000 per month. Not sure about the UK
nice comment Yash, what would be the average sal for Indian NOC Technicians ?

techarena.in

Old 04-12-2005, 04:03 PM
Disabled

Lol,

Just noticed this thread appeared again.

About 3 months old now, but hell, im still wanting to do the same as usual.

Planned my CCNA for 2006, Oct 06 > Apr 07

That's my next course when i leave college, comes in at around 295 to take the CCNA.

Chris,

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Telstra Plans to Outsource 170 Cloud Jobs to India Web Hosting News 2013-07-09 13:39:27
PEER 1 Hosting Opens EMEA Headquarters in Southampton, UK Web Hosting News 2013-04-11 12:57:38
VMware Study Finds 62 Percent of Indian Organizations Increasing Cloud Training Budgets Web Hosting News 2012-10-30 16:49:55
Users Still Seek Hosting Alternatives as Apple MobileMe, iWeb Shut Off Saturday Web Hosting News 2012-06-29 13:52:54
Web Host Bluehost Posts MobileMe Migration Video to Win Apple Customers Web Hosting News 2012-06-20 14:20:51