hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : Web Hosting Lounge : Study: Warming Caused Mass Extinction?

Forum Jump

Study: Warming Caused Mass Extinction?

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Lounge Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2005, 02:32 PM
Web Hosting Master

Study: Warming Caused Mass Extinction?

I saw this story on the Discovery Channel's website and thought it may be interesting since these people took a load of time into researching.

Quote:

Jan. 21, 2005 — Global warming, not an asteroid impact, was to blame for the mass extinction of species 250 million years ago, an international team of researchers reports in the latest issue of Science magazine.

Paleontologists concluded that the disappearance of 90 percent of all marine species and 75 percent of land plants and animals at the boundary between the Permian and Triasic periods was caused by atmospheric warming from of greenhouse gases triggered by erupting volcanoes.
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/afp/20050117/warming.html

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2005, 03:33 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
The researchers were able to use chemical, biological and magnetic evidence to establish that the mass extinction took place gradually over a period of 10 million years, followed by a sharp increase in the extinction rate that lasted another five million years.
That is a very interesting article, looks like it may have been a gradual event, I still think it was an asteroid though.

Old 01-22-2005, 02:17 PM
Web Hosting Master

yeah, but its also possible the world has a massive eruption from the volcanos as well. I mean imagine if there were hundreds if not thousands of volcanos and most of them erupted at one time. It would put alot of smoke and ash into the air, which would lower the air. If you put in heat along with this event it makes it hard to breathe. I'm not even sure how some animals were able to survive if it was a massive global warming. I find it very interesting.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2005, 07:53 PM
Video Creation Experts

I don't agree with the gradual global warming theory, as in "history" terms.. the extinction happend extremly fast. Something would of had to cause the Earth's atmosphere to heat up so fast and for a long period of time, to raise all the oceans temperature and sustain the high temperatures for atleast 10 years. Anything less than that, the oceans would once again get lower temperatures.

Most people believe several large impacts a few thousand years a part started the chain reaction. The first one hit, which caused a lot of debris, dirt, lose matter to be injected into the atmosphere which blocked out the sun for a few hundered years. Then another one hit some where in Asia which only caused more problems.

Also seems a lot of scientists now think that large debri from a very large comet help to start the mass extinction, and not necessairly a large asteriod. It would also make sense, since the two impacts are in perfect timing with a very large comet that was in the inner solar system at the time.

Direct Email: sales@JRSEOMarketing.com

Old 01-24-2005, 08:34 PM

They can't prove nefink until they can travel back in time

Old 01-24-2005, 08:56 PM
Web Hosting Master

I've heard many theories about this including the one you mentioned. Another interesting theory I heard was that an asteroid struck the earth and it caused global warming.

Old 01-24-2005, 09:16 PM
Web Hosting Master

I think we need to start planning for the future, instead of trying to figure out what killed off the dinosaurs. The fact is, global warming is here. Earth is changing.

Old 01-24-2005, 09:30 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by RMF
I think we need to start planning for the future, instead of trying to figure out what killed off the dinosaurs. The fact is, global warming is here. Earth is changing.
"Earth is changing"? You say that like it's a bad thing. Or a think that we're to blame for... Earth is a dynamic environment that is in constant flux.

To be honest all the big stink over global warming is a bit of an overstatement. Much of it is based on very flawed climate models, or "theories" that are no better than a random guess. A lot of "conclusions" -- such as carbon monoxied increases causing polar melting or the ocean levels to rise -- have no factual evidience behind them or are blatantly untrue.

Old 01-24-2005, 11:12 PM
Web Hosting Guru

I think the dinosaurs were being naughty and farted too much. Apparently methane gas traps 42x more heat can carbon dioxide.

Old 01-27-2005, 04:31 PM
Video Creation Experts

Its very smart to learn about what happend, so it doesn't happen again... eventhough it will. The Earth has warmed up and nearly killed all life several times now. We are just in the wrong spot at the wrong time...

Direct Email: sales@JRSEOMarketing.com

Old 01-27-2005, 04:41 PM
Web Hosting Master

Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by amusive.com
"Earth is changing"? You say that like it's a bad thing. Or a think that we're to blame for... Earth is a dynamic environment that is in constant flux.

To be honest all the big stink over global warming is a bit of an overstatement. Much of it is based on very flawed climate models, or "theories" that are no better than a random guess. A lot of "conclusions" -- such as carbon monoxied increases causing polar melting or the ocean levels to rise -- have no factual evidience behind them or are blatantly untrue.
Global warming is a fact, and a transition we are going through. Like it or not, WE are the cause of it.

Peace,

Old 01-27-2005, 04:49 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by azizny
Global warming is a fact, and a transition we are going through. Like it or not, WE are the cause of it.

Peace,
Is it now? Can you point to case proof that states that the average mean temperature of the earth is increasing caused by humans?

Note that I do not want an opinion, I want evidence and facts. Note if you find this information you should publish it as it has clearly evaded the scientific community for years, since the theory of global warming was originally discussed.

Even if the teperature of the earth were increasing it'd be near impossible to prove humans are responsable, even IF we are.

Please do not post if you're just going to quote your local newspaper.

Old 01-27-2005, 04:57 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:

Even if the teperature of the earth were increasing it'd be near impossible to prove humans are responsable, even IF we are.
That just proved you "faulty" idealogy..

Yeah, there is no global warming.... Even if it is, its no us... Even if its us, so what!

What you just said is a total cause, If you do not know that Global warming is happening, you are just diregarding a scientific fact which is known all over the world (try searching google, it will help you)..

We might not be the only ones causing it, but we are the number 1 at doing so.

Someone has to change, us or nature, and im telling you when nature changes its gonna be really bad....

Peace,

Old 01-27-2005, 05:01 PM
Web Hosting Master

I'm not going to argue with someone who clearly does not know the definition of the word 'fact' or what it means to 'prove' something. Or that thinks that because you find something on the internet it has to be true.

Old 01-27-2005, 05:07 PM
Web Hosting Master

Thumbs down

Quote:
I'm not going to argue with someone who clearly does not know the definition of the word 'fact' or what it means to 'prove' something. Or that thinks that because you find something on the internet it has to be true.

guess you are just a little bit lazy to search.... let me help ya out:

http://yosemite.epa.gov/oar/globalwa...ent/index.html

Quote:
According to the National Academy of Sciences, the Earth's surface temperature has risen by about 1 degree Fahrenheit in the past century, with accelerated warming during the past two decades. There is new and stronger evidence that most of the warming over the last 50 years is attributable to human activities. Human activities have altered the chemical composition of the atmosphere through the buildup of greenhouse gases – primarily carbon dioxide, methane, and nitrous oxide. The heat-trapping property of these gases is undisputed although uncertainties exist about exactly how earth’s climate responds to them. Go to the Emissions section for much more on greenhouse gases.
All extracted from the link above... I actually saw other information I didnt know.. it does pay NOT to be lazy.....

Peace,

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
WHMCS Security Issue Allows for Information Disclosure Web Hosting News 2013-10-25 09:30:46
ICANN Releases New gTLD Name Collision Proposal Web Hosting News 2013-10-09 15:26:45
Sedo Domain Sales Decline in Q2 2013 Web Hosting News 2013-08-15 16:26:15
Technological and Ecological Change: Five Stages of Reaction Blog 2014-04-24 13:27:37
CSA, ISACA Study Finds Government Regulation Tops List of Enterprise Cloud Concerns Web Hosting News 2012-09-28 14:35:34