COMMENTS PLEASE: Steadfast Servers vs Coloquest Pure Level(3) bandwidth?

Hi everyone,

Here's the scoop: I need an ultra-reliable, 0% packet loss high quality provider of bandwidth (small amounts).

Because I am doing VoIP, I particularly like Level(3) because I find the traceroutes tend to stay on their network both ingress and egress. Some of my customers are on cheap bandwidth, so we want the packet off of them and onto high quality as much as possible.

Once the VoIP comes to me, most of it will go to Peer1 Los Angeles (Savvis transit) and some to NAC in New Jersey.

I'm trying to figure out where

1) Is Level(3) pure better than Level(3) plus Savvis?
    2) Is Coloquest/Gigeservers (who said they would give me 100% L3 not on their IRC part of the network) oversold? I mean, how can they give Level(3) for so cheap?
    3) If I chose Steadfast, how likely is it that the data will go over Savvis. I hav done many traces, and none ever went over Savvis. Always Level(3) . . .maybe because Level(3) is so big that everyone peers with them and they have lots of peering points.

Comments from all your experts would be SOOOOO much appreciated!

Thank you sincerely,

Helios

Level(3) is very cheap if you have enough of a commitment, plus the fact that Im sure coloquest has a lot of excess bandwidth.

I have done a lot of traceroutes to steadfast, outgoing goes a lot over savvis and level3 combined, same with ingress traffic.

Honestly, if you can pick up pure Savvis, instead of pure Level(3), Id do that.

Originally posted by Genesis5
    Honestly, if you can pick up pure Savvis, instead of pure Level(3), Id do that. [/B]
    I would have to respectfully disagree here. If you can get a BGP mix of L3 and Savvis from Karl, go with that. Their blend will give you the best routes from point A to B and in cases where outgoing routes are funky, Karl has been known to be willing to change that and Jeff at reflected networks is a great net eng who knows what he is doing. In short, bgp of L3 and Savvis will not fail.

Just a quesiton though, why not pull traffic from Peer1 all the way through to say Equinix Secacus, Newark or Telehouse.

I'd definitely go with Coloquest. Their network is not pure Level(3), it also has AboveNet and Cogent so it's BGP4. They run a tight ship over there.

Re: COMMENTS PLEASE: Steadfast Servers vs Coloquest Pure Level(3) bandwidth?

2) Is Coloquest/Gigeservers (who said they would give me 100% L3 not on their IRC part of the network) oversold? I mean, how can they give Level(3) for so cheap?

They do a lot of cabinets in the L3 facility, so they have volume to provide aggressive offerings. And they appear to have multiple GigE connections to L3, as well as others.

Steadfastnetworks.com

I have a gameserver there, can't beat the ping/network.
    Linux junkie | steward.io

Except don't try going there now - as its completely down.
    David
    Fused

whatever happened with them? any RFO?

it was just a router misconfig. About 1 hour downtime. Its the first downtime of that sort they have had since they put up their network.
    Steven Ciaburri | Proactive Linux Server Management - Rack911.com
    System Administration Extraordinaire | Follow us on twitter:@Rack911Labs
    Managed Servers (AS62710), Server Management, and Security Auditing.
    www.HostingSecList.com - Security notices for the hosting community.

RFO? Not sure what RFO means but they were back up 43 minutes later and all clients who notified them or requested refunds got about 40-45% back of their monthly bills per their SLA.

Steadfast rocks!
    David
    Fused

11. Newsletters

Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!

Related Posts from theWHIR.com