hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : HostingCon : Hyatt - Nearby Hotels? Taxis? Options?

Forum Jump

Hyatt - Nearby Hotels? Taxis? Options?

Reply Post New Thread In HostingCon Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2005, 03:19 PM
Web Hosting Master

Hyatt - Nearby Hotels? Taxis? Options?

I'm a little put off by the sum of staying 4 nights. Due to the transatlantic flight prices being 3x to fly on the 5th, it will have to be the 4th, similarly I don't fancy rushing about to catch a 6pm flight on the 7th if the conference finshes at 5pm, I'm presuming there will be some people gathering for some drinking and dining after the conference too .

Staying 4 nights at the Hyatt Regency would cost $131+11% tax plus $10 internet access per day. It's over $620 for a 4 night stay in a standard room excluding breakfast (except which might be supplied on the 6/7 by HostingCon). I've had a look at the standard rates and some of the rates for example the Hilton and Mariatt and admittedly it does compare relatively favourable, however still a large amount.

I am considering a few options, and if anyone has any ideas please do throw them in. There is a comfort inn ~ 7 miles away that charges $80 per night, including free airport shuttle, free high-speed room internet via ethernet port, free breakfast, free paper. There's a doubletree @$79 about 6 miles away (there's one directly round the corner from the Hyatt too although the rates are $160+) that offer similar free shuttle/free high-speed internet/free paper, and the ramada hotel (not inn) a few miles away that again offers free shuttle/internet/paper @ $70 per night. These are all a few miles away rather than round the cluster of the Hyatt.

So I'm wondering what the feasibility/reliability of cab services is?

Does anyone else intend to stay elsewhere?

I've called the hotels listed above and all have said between estimated $7-$12 per trip to the Hyatt.

Thoughts?

Only other option, other than forking out $620 just for room, I guess would be room sharing?

Last edited by MattF; 01-19-2005 at 07:51 PM.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2005, 03:59 PM
Web Hosting Evangelist

Hi MattF,

A couple of thoughts (for what it's worth ) on our choice of hotel for the conference:

* We really wanted to be more in the $99-$109 a night range to be more cost effective for our attendees

* Unfortunately, we had to balance the needs of the conference itself in terms of the facilities (space, functionality, etc.) against the hotel price. In other words, we couldn't find a hotel that we could get at the rates we were looking for that had the facilities large enough to handle HostingCon 2005.

* I visited the TripAdvisor site you linked too and the reviews were mixed. Some said they loved it, some hated it. I have not stayed in the hotel before, but I have visited it to check out the confernece facilities and I found it to be an exceptional property. My understanding is that they've recently renovated the majority of the hotel as well.

As to staying in nearby hotels, there are many choices as you noted. Most of the ones right near the Hyatt will be on the higher end as it is extremely near O'Hare and various large corporate buildings. Some of the more outlying hotels will be less expensive, but you'll need transportation then.

Should you choose to use a taxi, you'll probably need to call to have one dispatched as I'm not sure if they make regular stops at the hotels to pick up passengers. The estimate of $7-$12 is probably pretty accurate, depending on the hotel you select.

You might also choose to rent a car. This would give you the flexibility you need, but would also increase your costs. You'd have the car rental plus parking fees (I'm pretty sure the Hyatt charges for non-guests to park).

We obviously would love to have you stay at the Hyatt since it is the most convenient option for you and allows us to fill our room block. But we know that some will need to make other plans to be able to make the trip, so please let me know if you have any questions I can help answer. When it all comes down to it, we'd prefer you attend and stay somewhere else than to not attend at all!

Powerful, easy to use antispam services

Old 01-19-2005, 07:58 PM
Web Hosting Master

George,

Thanks for your reply.

I agree that's it probably a great venue for the conference and ideally would prefer to stay at the venue, I would do should had things been able to work out for 2 nights, but with the way transatlantic flights are working I'll have to stay a minimum of four nights, and with a single occupancy, it's a bit of a killer.

What is the earliest check-in time for the Hyatt on Monday? It would be ideal to stay the 6th and 7th. I figure I could stay locally for the first two nights and then arrange a cab for Monday morning to the Hyatt.

I know it's early, but just trying to ensure it's all cost feasible, have to book flights by the 25th Jan to qualify for the AA promotions.

Last edited by MattF; 01-19-2005 at 08:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2005, 08:02 PM
Web Hosting Evangelist

I think that check in is at 3pm. But most hotels will store your bags for you if you get in early... so you could come to the hotel in the morning with your bags and have them hold them for you and then check in in the afternoon or early evening. I would call the hotel to confirm they have this capability, but every hotel I've stayed at has, so I imagine they would as well.

Old 01-19-2005, 08:04 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
so you could come to the hotel in the morning with your bags and have them hold them for you and then check in in the afternoon or early evening
I'll give them a call and confirm.

Old 01-20-2005, 09:15 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Hi,

Although I'm not so concerned about Hotel costs, flight's are quite a problem from the UK. Planes leaving at sociable hours or on convenient days are 1k+. When you multiply the costs by 3 (the number of us probably going), it starts to add up.

Old 01-20-2005, 10:56 AM
Web Hosting Master

Where are you flying from?

I've seen direct flights from London @ 380 on the 4th, and direct flights from Manchester @ 280 on the 4th.

Old 01-20-2005, 11:10 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

We're just north of London, so any of the London airports will do.

Travelocity has just come up with a new flight for 3 adults which it didn't before for 1 adult. Flight 98 with AA leaves Chicago-Ohare at 21:55 on the 7th. At least we wouldn't need to leave so early if we caught this flight.

Quote:
I know it's early, but just trying to ensure it's all cost feasible, have to book flights by the 25th Jan to qualify for the AA promotions.
Does that mean that the AA flights on Travelocity will go up after the 25th?

Old 01-20-2005, 11:24 AM
Web Hosting Master

From what I've read it depends on the fare category, I'm not sure weather Travelocity disclose this. But these fair are +100 plus the sale price so perhaps not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fkuigt.jpg (81.7 KB, 88 views)

Old 01-20-2005, 11:29 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
Originally posted by MattF
From what I've read it depends on the fare category, I'm not sure weather Travelocity disclose this. But these fair are +100 plus the sale price so perhaps not.
How do you mean? I got as far as the checkout on Travelocity.co.uk and all it mentioned was 392.10 including commission and taxes.

Rob

Old 01-20-2005, 11:47 AM
Web Hosting Master

Rob,

If you book directly at AA you'll save a few pounds and get full details of the fare and restrictions. I've just noticed that the sales is only ~ 10 off each fare (so I wouldn't worry about it, sorry for the confusion), I had presumed it was a lot more, in this case they must be really discounting flights out of Manchester per normal as these around 282.

Old 01-20-2005, 11:59 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Hi Matt,

Quote:
Originally posted by MattF
If you book directly at AA you'll save a few pounds and get full details of the fare and restrictions. I've just noticed that the sales is only ~ 10 off each fare (so I wouldn't worry about it, sorry for the confusion), I had presumed it was a lot more, in this case they must be really discounting flights out of Manchester per normal as these around 282.
That makes sense as Travelocity is around 16 more expensive, including a 6 booking fee.

Unfortunately it's not worth us driving up to Manchester for a cheaper flight, and a flight to Manchester could result in the dreaded baggage loss

At least we don't have to rush into booking now.

By the way, what do you plan on visiting in Chicago before the conference? I've only got Mac Store and Chicago Pizzeria on my list so far

Rob

Old 01-20-2005, 03:18 PM
Web Hosting Evangelist

Depending on how much time you have, you may want to check out places like the Art Institute of Chicago, Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum of Natural History, or the Museum of Science and Industry. Those are much-beloved cultural institutions in Chicago and are all great. I've been to them all several times.

If you're going to hit the Apple Store, you'll be on the Magnificent Mile (north Michigan Avenue). There are all sorts of shops to see there and it's just generally a nice experience to walk there and people watch.

Old 01-21-2005, 12:38 AM

Great little drive for me. I live less the 3 hours away and I'm goning to try to be there. Sounds like it will be great.

Email: stopev2@gmail.com

Old 01-21-2005, 06:33 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
Originally posted by sirtwist
Depending on how much time you have, you may want to check out places like the Art Institute of Chicago, Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum of Natural History, or the Museum of Science and Industry. Those are much-beloved cultural institutions in Chicago and are all great. I've been to them all several times.
London has more museum's and art galleries then people, so they get a little 'old hat' for us Londoner's. Are there any brewery tours or techie related places?

Rob

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
The Host Group Launches Updated Line of SSL Certificate Options Web Hosting News 2013-06-24 10:14:16
Jamestown, Amerimar, Newby Partner to Build Massive Carrier Hotel in NYC Web Hosting News 2012-10-22 14:42:30
Colocation Firm zColo Opens New Data Center in Downtown Chicago Web Hosting News 2012-10-11 16:11:14
Learn how to evaluate lead generation options for B2B technology companies and the critical questions you need to ask Webinars 2012-09-17 18:21:39
Web Host Rackspace Near $2 Million Data Center Land Deal in Oregon: Report Web Hosting News 2012-08-13 12:44:37