Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: complete newbie

Originally posted by Tiscana
    You people do everything on the difficult way...
    Sigh...

As for php CMS, get a reseller account that has fantastico included with CPanel. There are plenty of scripts that the user can install with literally a click of the button.
    The trouble is it's a cms that i created in php/mysql, so i am pretty sure it won't be installed with fantastico.

Oh and with regards to thoose of you who think i don't know what i am doing IT-wise, i have been scripting (php/mysql) for over two years, in this time creating an admin system for a major company in town, created some basic admin systems for various estate agencies (all php/mysql).

I have created my own successful java midlet, have over a years experience with java

i have done various python projects (nice easy language)

have created a few c++ apps, and am now learning the win32 API..

but apart from that, you guys are right, i am dumb as two short planks.

i think it is really really lame how most of the replies on this thread are not in the least bit helpfull, if you look at the original question, then look at some of the answers, it's just pathetic..

i am off to find a better forum

ooo buuuuurn XD

Okay, newbie myself, and you probably know more about things, but I'll give it a shot aight

So basically, you want something that will automatically create not only a mySQL database, but install your homegrown CMS on every account as well?
    I think it will be hard. might have to heavily modify the existing WHMA scripts... But, I think it's doable with a bit of work.

Firstly, if you haven't already, make an auto installer for your CMS, include in house SQL installation (The auto installing makes a database itself). Then modify the existing WHMA scripts and whatnot, and make them create the account, then run your auto installer on the account it just created.

With a bit of work, this could be done quite nicely Problem is, I have noooo clue how to accomplish any of those goals XD
    Please apply for our current job openings: Link

Maybe next time, i'll actually read through the whole first post! Might be a good idea, huh?

Thanks for puttin me back in my place there axe
    Last edited by Taylor; 01-20-2005 at 01:41 PM.
    HostGator.com - A worldwide leader in Shared, Reseller, VPS and Dedicated Server Hosting.

Except he's not asking how to go about starting one, he doesn't care. Bad or good, that's how he feels, and that's how he's asking the question, it seems to me, seeing a community liason posting offtopic information in an important post, doesn't look so good does it...

I've been looking things up, and i can only say that I have no experience with any of these companies.

Google Is Your Best Friend

[edit]
    I just realized that sounded really snappy and rude... sorry... But he, and others have said things to such effect too.

So basically, you want something that will automatically create not only a mySQL database, but install your homegrown CMS on every account as well?
    exactly axe!

..and i have just ordered a dedicated server/cpanel from eviservers..

here i go..

good luck with that.

kool ^ ^

As I said above, I don't know of any existing program/script, other then a modified WHMa program, that could do that.

I don't know an extreme ammount about WHMA, but I know that it's *possible* to mod it, and I'm pretty sure that what you need can be done.
    Also, you might be able to get an autoinstaller somewhere. Or see if you can get the sourcecode for one of the programs in Fantastico (All have autoinstallers). Might be able to mod it (With permition) to what you need it to do.
    umm. As I said above, I don' tknow how to go about doing this, however, I could certainly ask around to some of my programming friends, and see if it's doable, which I think it is

hope something helps ^^

I might start my search by looking around the cpanel forums - they look like a really good source of info.

crikey this looks complex - dunno where to start

I hate to be frank but why are you trying to start a hosting business when you are a complete newbie

i hate to be frank but why do you have external advertising on your site? Is it because your hosting business is not working very well?

At least he has a hosting business and even if his business isn't going very well he knows how to get back on top without asking around in forums and being a total dip---- when positive/negative comments comes his way.

Originally posted by yabadabastum
    i hate to be frank but why do you have external advertising on your site? Is it because your hosting business is not working very well?
    What exactly does that have to do with this thread?
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    AgilityHosting.net - UK & European cPanel Web Hosting

This reminds me of talking to my grandpa!

Stop flaming or the mods will lock the topic!
    Stop posting off-topic things in topics!
    Stop insulting other people for nothing!
    ARGH!!

Topic at hand:
    "my question is what dedicated server should i get? I would be very grateful if you guys could recommend some great deals of servers/software to get me started."

Off Topic:
    Anything saying anything about his ability to do business, or his lack of knowledge about the hosting industry. Everyone has to start somewhere, and if they want to buy a dedicated server to start out, even though they don't know how to admin it themselves, it's THEIR business.

Sorry for playing mod, or talking -oh-holier-then-thou But the amount off topic non-sense in this thread is appalling!

Originally posted by yabadabastum
    What exactly does that have to do with this thread?
    i am just illustrating the completely useless (to my question) posts in this topic. As axe said, i don't know why people are questioning my ability to run a hosting business. this is my concern. I asked a question about dedicated servers, and i got a load of random answers..

one of those posts was this:
    I hate to be frank but why are you trying to start a hosting business when you are a complete newbie

The best way to gain knowledge is research and learn independent. All the functions you need are and will be availalbe. No one, however, will have the answer for you as YOU have to be the greatest holder of your knowledge.

Get out and research your answers, it is all up to you. If you only ask you will never find, activly persue your answers.

If you ask direct, single answers quetions, you will get a great response. If you expect a forum to answer all your question, your post will look like this. You will also find, that if you think about these direct questions, YOU will most likely be able to answer them.

A great way to learn the tools is to get a cheap WHM/cpanel reseller account from a low end company on ebay. This will have all the functionality you will need to learn the tools. Not a great idea for hosting customers, but a great learning investment.

Please go out and make a time and money comitment to this. If you are able to learn the tools of the trade and have business savy, the sky is the limit.

Moral of the story: THERE IS NO MAGIC ANSWER. You must find you own solution. Good Luck in your quest...
    Last edited by serverunion; 01-21-2005 at 11:15 AM.

Red face

hmm..

nice philosophy but..

..you still aren't answering my question

I gave you a perfectly good solution to solve you vague question.

"Is this easy" is a relative term, we can only assume your how sharp you are by this thread. Easy should not be a question, can it be done should be the question. If you ask that, your answer will be a yes from everyone on this thread.

If you ask that, your answer will be a yes from everyone on this thread.
    and what help would the answer yes be? Not much. I knew it could be done before posting, which is why i did not ask this question..

I dont think people critising him for being a newbie is off topic,
    The guy is asking vague questions,complaining about others because he doesnt get the answer he wants all because he asks vauge questions. If he was a little more specific of what he wants to find out then maybe people would be more of a help to him.
    Also something major of which I feel and im guessing others are, is this guys attuide and manner towards people isnt in my books friendly.
    His remarks and responses are fairly facetious.

Just remember it works two ways, you give a much more specific question,people will give you a more detailed answer of what your question was...

Thanks for your time,
    Matt Seymour

Await a specific question to answer. May want to ask a specific question in a new thread though.

Thanks
    Natron
    Last edited by serverunion; 01-21-2005 at 12:32 PM.

You guys... don't read much do yah? huh?

Topic at hand:
    "my question is what dedicated server should i get? I would be very grateful if you guys could recommend some great deals of servers/software to get me started."

How is that vague? I see nothing vague about it :| seems rather straight foreward to me.

I already answered his second questions to a degree, no thanks to the people who should have been able to answer it better...

Originally posted by dmike

2) Get a Reseller account. NOT a dedicated server. You don't have the knowledge yet, so don't try. Play around with WHM/Cpanel, taking some of the theoretical stuff you learned in step one (i.e. DNS zones, setting up e-mail accounts) and putting it to practical use.
    I agree with this statement and was reading on hoping someone would say it.
    Dennis R. Metzcher
    President/CEO, Cyera Solutions LLC
    http://www.cyerasolutions.com
    Linux/Windows. Second month free. ColdFusion hosting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12