hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Running a Web Hosting Business : complete newbie

Forum Jump

complete newbie

Reply Post New Thread In Running a Web Hosting Business Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old

complete newbie

i want to start a webhost - my question is what dedicted server should i get? I would be very greatful if you guys could recommend some great deals of servers/software to get me started. i spoke to someone at rackshack and he said that you split your server into shared drives or smething like that - is this how you host site - and also how can i check that the server i am getting has enough mail servers etc..

i am very confused!

one i was looking at was at
ev1servers.net/english/value_series.asp

i say the 'cpanel for rehat' option.

i thought this was good cus the processor/disc space etc are ok as i am just starting, and i think this software also contains wht or web hosting software or something?

Will the server mentioned above be easy to setup for different websites?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

Question, why be a webhost when you nothing about the business?

Sorry to be harsh, but it's a serious question...

Old
Web Hosting Master

I agree. The first question you should ask yourself it, "Do I have the skillset to run a business?" I would suggest starting there.

After you have a solid business plan, you will need money. I am not talking about the $250 you got for christmas.

Setting up a business and running it is the hard part, you can't outsource that! You line of business is an entirely different question.

I suggest letting this dream go until you have the skillsets of 1) runing a business 2) knowing anything about hosting.

You have no place running a business if you have to ask on a public forum how to start/run it!

Sponsored Links
Old

Quote:
I suggest letting this dream go until you have the skillsets of 1) runing a business 2) knowing anything about hosting.
Well aren't i lucky! Just so happens that i have owned a self-made (successfull) online business for the last two years. So i know about owning a website, scripting, programming, business in general, internet practices. When i say newbie i mean newbie to the hosting business..

Old
Web Hosting Master

Glad you have that portion under control. Please understand that almost daily people come on here with no experience wanting to host. They end up hosting clients at $2/month and go under in 3 months. That pricing and mistrust by clients is really hurting the industry.

There is no magic anwser to your questions though I am sorry to say. You must research and learn all you can before you can make any opinions of services. As they say "There is no best, only what is best for you"

Good luck...

Old
Resident Liverpool FC Fan

Im sorry, but there are far too many web hosts who don't really have a clue about the industry, servers and managing/dealing with clients problems.

My advice would be do not start up at least until you have had a few months of working with a test server and getting to know the industry etc...

Too many hosts die after a few months for various reasons, basically centred around lack of research and knowledge. And becasue fo this far too many people think the hosting industry is a get rich scheme.

Its like me saying I want to become an online seller of lingerie. I know all about websites and hosting them, I have the servers etc but I know nowt about the industry....

It aint happening im afraid.

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

Old

well what i did not mention is that my hosting will be very very specific, and i will not be offering general hosting. my customers wont have / need access to ftp, and i will be using the same sort of php scripts / mysql databases for every customer that signs up. so, what i need is if a customer signs up, the ability to create a new account. how is this doneon the server in general? i also need the ability to setup a mysql database on their account.

The main thing i am strugling to understand is how i can run so many (1 per customer) mysql databases on 1 server, and how i can set these databases up auotmatically,

also, does anyone uses a rackshack server to host with?

and does anyone use cpanel to host with?

Thanks.

Old
Resident Liverpool FC Fan

Quote:
and does anyone use cpanel to host with?
Quote:
also, does anyone uses a rackshack server to host with?
Quote:
how i can run so many (1 per customer) mysql databases on 1 serve

These qestions combined with your original post tell me straight away that you do NOT know enough about the industry to become a web host.

How can your clients expect support from you, when you do not even know about your data centre, control panels or MySQL?

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

Old

Quote:
These qestions combined with your original post tell me straight away that you do NOT know enough about the industry to become a web host.
no **** shirlock!

i am posting here to start finding out about these various things.

i am gonna buy a server, spend a few months fiddling / researching and then see where i get. My question which no one has answered is can anyone recommend a decent server to start with, perhaps the server they are using at the moment..

Last edited by yabadabastum; 01-19-2005 at 12:25 PM.
Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

What everyone has said is right -- if you don't understand how to have more than one database in mysql, then you shouldn't be offering mysql hosting (for example), since that's a pretty _basic_ concept.

That said -- if you're willing to learn, you might be ok. I'd start with a managed VPS or server. If you want a dedicated, you might check out http://resellerworkz.com/ -- they're a reseller of layeredtech.com, which is good (but unmanaged -- which is definitely not for you). Even better, start with a VPS, since odds are you wont screw anything up.

Of course, even a managed server will be a big deal -- to secure it you'll have to be very familiar with the command line, basic concepts about how *nix works, networking issues (you need to know about ports, TCP, UDP, etc to set up your firewall). If you've never edited a file ending in .conf or .config in a linux environment, you might want to think about whether you're ready for this.

best,
BR

Old
Web Hosting Master

edited - sorry, stepping out of this conversation. Do not take part in any professional conversations that include swearing.

Last edited by serverunion; 01-19-2005 at 12:39 PM.
Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by serverunion
edited - sorry, stepping out of this conversation. Do not take part in any professional conversations that include swearing.
i agree. dude doesn't seem to take any advices too well. kinda nasty if you ask me.

Old
Web Hosting Master

I would start with a reseller account that you could get from most hosts at around $10 a month.

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

Here's what you do:
1) Research. Not technical stuff, we'll get into that later. But research theoretical stuff. How DNS works. How servers work. Don't worry about operating system specific stuff yet.

2) Get a Reseller account. NOT a dedicated server. You don't have the knowledge yet, so don't try. Play around with WHM/Cpanel, taking some of the theoretical stuff you learned in step one (i.e. DNS zones, setting up e-mail accounts) and putting it to practical use.

3) Setup your website. You should have knowledge of this. Setup a merchant account and support desk & knowlege base.

4) Begin accepting customers.

5) While doing this, get a test computer. Nothing major or expensive. I recently bought a p2 450 for $20 at a computer show to play around with. Install Linux, Apache, PHP and MySQL. Buy books on each of these. Read, read, and read some more.

6) Setup this "server". Connect it to your home network. Put a few test sites on there. Purposely crash it. Do kernal upgrades. Modify apache, learn. Change settings. Do things remotely, even if it's sitting right next to you

Hopefully, by the time you have enough clients (and believe me, it won't be overnight) to warrant a dedicated server, you'll have enough knowledge to operate said dedicated server. But don't put live clients on a server that you're ill prepared to manage. Don't waste money leasing or collocating a server that you don't need to.

It is possible to enter this industry with little technical knowledge, if you have sound business skills to do so. That, along with the low startup costs is one of the reasons for such a low barrier to entry. That's not a bad thing. It just means that a lot of people don't do things properly.

I myself started with a reseller account. I had been developing websites for years, and had a business minor in college (I've since been working on my MBA), but had little or no server experience. It's quite possible to succeed, but don't overstep your abilities.

Old

cheers dmike, this is more of what i was looking for!
Quote:
Get a Reseller account. NOT a dedicated server.
I assumed that a reseller acount would not give me enough flexiblity - am i right? i.e. when a user signs up, i want to create one of these accounts, and for this signup (on success) to fire off a load of other setup scripts, such as mysql database creation, installing a php cms etc etc - is this all possible with reseller priveleges?

Thanks again,

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Piston Integrates OpenStack with Other Technologies for More Complete Private Clouds Web Hosting News 2014-02-25 16:22:01
Astutium Ltd Listing 2014-09-20 20:46:36
Logicalis US Launches New On-Demand Cloud IaaS Solution Web Hosting News 2013-08-14 10:18:09
Colocation Firm zColo Opens New Data Center in Downtown Chicago Web Hosting News 2012-10-11 16:11:14
Colocation Firm Interxion to Complete Amsterdam, Zurich Data Center Expansions in Q4 2012 Web Hosting News 2012-10-04 11:00:49