hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting Talk Tutorials : Web Hosting Tutorials : Free or paid web hosting?
Closed Thread

Forum Jump

Free or paid web hosting?

Closed Thread Post New Thread In Web Hosting Tutorials Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
WHT Addict

Lightbulb

Just finished your first website? So it's the time to look for some hosting and make a choise. Your first qustion probably will be whether to choose free or paid hosting service. Let's have a look at some advantages and disadvantages of these solutions.

Free web hosting:
(+) It's for free. You don't need to pay for domain name.
(-) Your URL will be something like username.freehost.com or freehost.com/username. As I noticed above, the advantage is that you don't need to pay for domain. But note that if you move your website to another provider in the future you can loose some or all your traffic (there are some solutions how to solve this problem but it is not the point of this article).
(-) Your provider will probably include ads to your pages - usually 1 or 2 banners, sometimes popup windows. If you plan to use banner exchange on your site read carefully their Terms and conditions. Some free hosts doesn't allow it.
(-) Free hosts usually allow lower bandwith then paid hosts and a lot of them don't offer futures like PHP and MySQL.
(-) A lot of free hosts change their Terms and conditions during some time. If your free host offers hosting wihtout ads now, don't be surprised when banner or popup appears on your site in the future.
(-) Sometimes happens that free hosts cancel their free service and longer offer paid hosting only. In this case you have only 2 choises - pay them or loose your website.

Paid web hosting:
(+) You can host your own domain. If you decide to change the web hosting provider in the future, you easily transfer the domain to the new provider and don't loose your traffic.
(+) Most paid hosts offer 24/7 support via email or live chat and some of them provide toll-free phone support.
(+) You can expect better uptime then on free host. Some paid hosts offer uptime guarantee.
(+) Paid hosts usually offer enough disk space and bandwith. Futures like PHP and MySQL are standard. Even if you are not programmer you can download plenty of free PHP scripts from internet.
(-) Paid hosting coast money

Before you make the decision if choose free or paid host you should answer this question: How big ambitions do I have with my website? If you are starting small personal page for your friends consist of a few *.html files then free host will be sufficient. In case you plan to run serious business website, need PHP, database and don't want ads on the site I recommend to look for quality paid host.

Sponsored Links
Old
Aspiring Evangelist

and what about something like website sponsorships? does it count as freehosting as well?

because i offers the nearly sama packages as paid hosting. just that they have to put in our google banner.

Old
Disabled

I would try both out and see what works the best for you

Sponsored Links
Old

But you can get free domain hosting aswell like mine www.sferahost.com but free host are good to people who are just learning or just for hobby but also alot of businesses host on free servers. But it will have to depend on the size of the free host it there are lots of people or websites i would say the more relible the service.

Another thing some free hosts host on reseller accounts which is not good since thay might over use the account (like over sell) But it is upto you there are some free good and bad hosts out there just do your research.

Old

Some free hosts have no ads; and allow you to use your own domain name.

You do wonder if the service might end, and what kind of performance you get.

But free hosting definitely a better option than it might seem. You can, it seems, actually get decent basic hosting for free.

Haven't really tested any beyond signing up, but see these two sites for more useful info on free hosts:
http://www.free-webhosts.com/ - decent info
http://absolutely-free-web-hosting.org/ - not working at the moment, but fwiw

Links thanks to Web Hosting Reviews:
http://whreviews.com/relatedsites.htm

Last edited by buzzy; 02-07-2005 at 12:29 PM.
Old
Disabled

Hey,
I was at this point a few years ago. Why should I pay for hosting when I can get it free from someone like geocities or angelfire ?

Of course, you get what you pay for. Free = ads, low space, no support. Paid = the total opposite.

All of this varies by website hoster you choose. - And by the way, nice article! Hope this blends into peoples minds.

Old

I have tried free and pay hosting and honestly, you can do better with pay hosting if you find a good place that does not cost alot of money.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Some free hosts allow you to use a domain....

Unlimited vs. Unmetered bandwidth

Old
Web Hosting Guru

Id go with Paid solution. Better quality. More uPtime

Old
Disabled

I agree, its true.

Old

I think there's nothing good in free hosting. Not worth it at all...

Old

freehosting is not stable and takes time to get an account.

Old

as above free hosters dont care what happens to your data , customer support or anything. It's free isn't it? go for paid. You will be much more happy for it

Old

Smile Free hosts are for personal sites.

But some free hosts are stable during few years. If hosting provider is a big firm and offers account with weak parameters i think that host will be stable. Small hosting providers offers free web host with very good parameters, its suspicious. But i know some exeptions. Anyway free web hosting is for only amateurs sits because strangers big ad banners on site isnt good publicity for your'e firm (but some free hosts haven't banners or they are in the text links form).

Old

In my point of view paid hosting is much better than the free hosting, but we need to be cautious while choosing for the paid hosting.

Closed Thread

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
CloudFlare Rolls Out SSL Certificates to all Customers Web Hosting News 2014-09-30 11:11:06
Free Web Hosting Services Powering Websites in the Developing World Web Hosting News 2013-10-16 10:54:54
Web Hosting Sales and Promos Roundup - May 3, 2013 Web Hosting News 2014-05-23 15:43:07
Posterous Shuts Down Today, Here Are Some Alternatives Blog 2013-04-30 17:26:02
Spammy Hosting Clients Won't Affect Your Site Ranking: Google Blog 2013-04-10 13:36:07