Hi everyone (and potential hosts),
MattF asking for a new host for WHT has got me thinking about my own situation. I have to move my site (and some of my dev work) off WebExpose quite soon (as soon as my contract runs out in a week or so). Thus, I'm in the market for a new host. I was originally going to go with Tera-Byte directly but I'm going to test the market first.
Since I'm not exactly the richest guy around (and I have to save up for some of the usual stuff like college/Uni fees, car, real-life stuff etc.) I'm going to have to skimp slightly. In this case what I'm looking for is a host to offer me the following :
- PHP4 (with Zend Optimiser - absolutely imperative) + MySQL
- Bandwidth won't be much - will only be around 1-2 GIG to start off, then will increase slowly as I add more applications and turn my site into a mini-portal of sorts, as well as add a tForum (so generate a bit of mini-traffic). So flexibility in terms of bandwidth allocation is required.
- Space won't be much, as it'll be mostly done through the MySQL DB and everything. However, in the very near future I might do recordings of my University orchestra's concert, so you should ideally support HTTP streaming. Space in this case will increase quite a bit, so probably be looking at around 15-20 mbs to start off and maybe increase to 50-75 mbs in the future.
- Telnet/SSH is imperative.
- I only need about 5-10 POP accounts, same no. of autoresponders, maybe some catch-all mail forwarding, subdomains would be great and a CP would be nice but not entirely necessary.
Now, I'm looking for either free hosting (ideally) from a kind host or partially paid hosting (up to around $6US/month). In return I would be more than willing to display text links and/or ad banners throughout my site (e.g. a footer throughout the site saying 'Site hosted by So-and-So - check out their latest special!'), as well as a 'recommendation' on my site. Other ways of compensation can also be discussed.
I also promise I won't annoy your tech support team with any inane questions (apart from the usual initial startup questions).
If you have that little bit of space left and you're willing to offer it for free in return for quite a bit of publicity, please e-mail me directly using the mail icon at the bottom of this post; do not respond to this post (I have the thread locked for this purpose); I'll narrow my list down and decide ASAP, as I need to fire up the site ASAP.
Thanks for your attention + interest.
<edit> Silly me forgot to say when you should stop e-mailing. I'll be accepting offers until midnight tonight American EST (4 p.m. Australian EST).</edit>
My 2 Cents....
(or is that 2.2 cents inc. GST...?)
Have a think about this : Programming is like sex. Make a single little mistake, and you'll be supporting it for the rest of your life.