hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : Need to host a mIRC Bot, VPS??

Forum Jump

Need to host a mIRC Bot, VPS??

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2005, 05:12 PM
Junior Guru

Need to host a mIRC Bot, VPS??

Hi there all,
I have a client who in his infinite wisdom wants host a mIRC bot to run a channel services for a small(<20 users), non-illegal conent network.

I have basically told him that he needs to re-write it in Perl, C or TCL (not going to happen)

or pay for a computer on a dsl line, or co-location to host it. I just want to check that there arn't any cheap windows VPS which allow VNC or other remote desktop access out there.

It is also known to work on wine.

If any one could give me any advise / point me at some providers I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers
Jona

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2005, 09:34 PM
Temporarily Suspended

i have one question what is mirc bot

Old 01-10-2005, 10:43 AM
Junior Guru

a collection of scripts written in the IRC chat client mIRC

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2005, 10:49 AM
Web Hosting Master

Do you mean an eggdrop? Or a bot programmed in some language (eg. PHP/Perl) that connects to IRC?

An mIRC bot is coded using mIRC scripting language and can only run on Windows.

Old 01-10-2005, 11:11 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

If he wants to use a particular mIRC script, he may need to search eggheads.org to search for a tcl equivalent, which can be run on a linux shell.
If its just basic channel services/management, wouldnt be too hard to find.
eggdrops are much more stable and bot orientated.

Old 01-10-2005, 11:37 AM
Junior Guru

quite obviously I don't mean eggdrop or I would have stated eggdrop.

I am aware how mIRC scripting works, that is why I started this thread if it was written in some form of linux programming language then it would be simple (comparitivly) to find either a VDS or a linux shell to run it off of.

It is custom coded mirc script with some functions you wouldn't find in standard channel management bots.

Jona

Old 01-10-2005, 02:01 PM
Web Hosting Evangelist

search for something with "win2k3"

You wont go wrong. I ran a customized services system scripted in mirc for a network, it worked absolutely fine.

Old 01-10-2005, 03:19 PM
Web Hosting Master

Hi JonaY,

Usually most IRCD's have some sort of services on the network which users can make use of anyway; does this network lack this feature?

I never had to worry about hosting issues for my custom coded mIRC bot which I used to run on Dalnet, and OverDriveIRC as I just kept it running on the cable line and it was able to perform and reconnect when their were any connection issues.

Personally I would ask your client to recode the bot in PHP, if he was to visit http://www.codedemons.net/ they practically provide working shells of bots which perform various functions which he/she could just add his/her commands too. It would also make the bot a lot more portable, and later he/she could develop it further via a web-based administration system, im not sure if it comes with a web-based GUI.

If you are unable to obtain the PHP-IRC Bot just send me a private message and I can e-mail you it, its here in my script archive.

Reseller Hosting Solutions Linux Plesk 8 Control Panel Provding Quality Hosting Since 2001

Old 01-10-2005, 03:57 PM
WHT Addict

I would suggest he rewrite it no matter how hard, due to mIRC's lack of staying up past 3 weeks. It laggs out and locks up every 3-5 weeks. I have tried the exact same thing as your friend and failed. I ended up downloading services to go with my IRCD.

Old 01-10-2005, 05:33 PM
Video Creation Experts

Quote:
Originally posted by R.Harrison
I would suggest he rewrite it no matter how hard, due to mIRC's lack of staying up past 3 weeks. It laggs out and locks up every 3-5 weeks.
Odd, I have 2 mIRC programs running right now. Both have been up for more than 3 months each.. no problems on a Win2k machine through my LAN on a cable modem.

To the original poster, I would suggest finding a "friend" with a broadband connection on a windows machine and ask them to run it for you. This is how a lot of people ran 24/7 bots in the IRC past.. lets say 5 years ago or so. A lot of people still do this, eventhough a shell account is only a few dollars now.

Direct Email: sales@JRSEOMarketing.com

Old 01-10-2005, 05:33 PM
Got Ingress ???

Quote:
Originally posted by R.Harrison
I would suggest he rewrite it no matter how hard, due to mIRC's lack of staying up past 3 weeks. It laggs out and locks up every 3-5 weeks. I have tried the exact same thing as your friend and failed. I ended up downloading services to go with my IRCD.
mIRC has nothing to do with staying up, its the user's pc. My PC has been up for 5 weeks+ with mIRC running (w/ the Invision Script).

A linux box with a ported tcl would provide more stability, but if windows is the way he wishes to go, he may pay quite a bit more for it.

Old 01-10-2005, 05:37 PM
Web Hosting Guru

eggdrop is far more stable and flexible than an mIRC bot... not to mention the massive script archive backing it up.

That config file still kills me every time though...

Old 01-10-2005, 05:37 PM
Video Creation Experts

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisTech
mIRC has nothing to do with staying up, its the user's pc.
I have seen a lot of mIRC programs get a GPF error after a few weeks, and all of a sudden close. This happens a lot on Win98 machines, and i've seen a few on WinXP. Everytime i've seen it, is when the person let the program run several weeks, and was idle for a few days.

mIRC has always been known to crash if it stays open for to long. The longest i've ran mIRC was roughly 16 weeks, then I got a GPF and it died.

Old 01-10-2005, 05:39 PM
Video Creation Experts

Oh yea... eggdrops are way better than any mIRC scripts, but most people like mIRC bots, as you can run them from your computer.. albiet if you have windows

Old 01-10-2005, 05:49 PM
Got Ingress ???

Quote:
Originally posted by RealtorHost
I have seen a lot of mIRC programs get a GPF error after a few weeks, and all of a sudden close. This happens a lot on Win98 machines, and i've seen a few on WinXP. Everytime i've seen it, is when the person let the program run several weeks, and was idle for a few days.

mIRC has always been known to crash if it stays open for to long. The longest i've ran mIRC was roughly 16 weeks, then I got a GPF and it died.
Win 2k Proff here, the only way to go. If he has access to a 2k Adv server machine or a 2k pro machine, on a broadband connection, that might a good direction to look at.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Host Alive Listing 2014-04-18 12:35:20
Host Europe Acquires Telefonica Germany Online Services Web Hosting News 2013-09-13 15:27:43
Host Virtual Expands Cloud Platform with New Location in Seattle Web Hosting News 2013-02-21 10:01:56
Web Hosting Provider Host Virtual Expands Indian Cloud Web Hosting News 2012-12-31 12:13:26
UK Cloud Host Cyber Host Pro Acquires ColdFusion Host Yetihost Web Hosting News 2012-08-15 11:18:39