Shop, Inc, Family, tech… domain names what do you think?

Hello

What do you guys thing of the new domain names extensions.

Here is a web site where they can be registered www.new.net

Are they worth it or not?

Thanks

Worthless, crappy names.
    Domain Maven

They're not new. They've been around for years. And they are not proper extensions. They don't work unless you get a special plug-in.

There have been plenty of previous threads on the subject here. Suggest you do a search to find out more!

The new.net domains have been around for a while and are completely worthless. Get instead a .com or another real domain.

They have been around for 3-4 years now. Requires a plugin to use which makes them useless
    Domain Maven

Thanks for the info I did do a search but dind't find anything.

Where do you need the plugin, how does it work?

Thanks
    Last edited by attila; 01-06-2005 at 10:28 AM.

go to their site new.net, click download plugin located on the top left side
    Domain Maven

You will either need a plugin for your browser or if your ISP have a deal with new.net will you be able to use new.net domains by default.

name me on famous domain name that uses new.net domains and i will buy a dozen !
    Worthless names and wont ever be popular unless they can be hosted without extra procedures
    POINTLeb Hosting Lebanese Hosting for the Middle East
    The fact that no one understands you , does not make you an artist
    Mo Ghaoui's Personal Blog

Don't you guys think that in the future we won't need a plugin to use this so they will become more popular, it will be worth in to buy some popular name now.

every day where domains become more popular ur .com is worth more and more , isnt that worth attention too ?
    As for lottery purchases of domain names , its up to you to suggest and purchase , some agree with you and think later their domain will worth something some just dont (like me)
    POINTLeb Hosting Lebanese Hosting for the Middle East
    The fact that no one understands you , does not make you an artist
    Mo Ghaoui's Personal Blog

I'm not a very technical person, but as I understand it what you buy is not myname.shop but myname.shop.new.net. The plug-in enables people to get to your web site without having to put .new.net at the end.

Unless ICANN suddenly decides that .shop is going to be an offical TLD and New.net wins the contract to run the TLD there is no chance whatsoever that the New.net domains will ever work without plug-ins.

Is this going to happen?

Are pigs going to fly?

Originally posted by Lubeca
    I'm not a very technical person, but as I understand it what you buy is not myname.shop but myname.shop.new.net. The plug-in enables people to get to your web site without having to put .new.net at the end.

Unless ICANN suddenly decides that .shop is going to be an offical TLD and New.net wins the contract to run the TLD there is no chance whatsoever that the New.net domains will ever work without plug-ins.

Is this going to happen?

Are pigs going to fly?
    This is the most important post in this thread.
    What exactly are the chances of ICANN suddenly approving .shop etc and then awarding the contract to new.net?
    Let's say I went and bought my.shop from new.net right now.

In a years time ICANN decide to approve a .shop TLD and some company wins the right to distribute them.
    Guess just how much my my.shop I registered with new.net is worth?
    Sweat sod-all because it still won't work - in fact my.shop will go to whoever buys that domain from the people officialy running the TLD.

Anyway that's all "in theory".
    Answer to original question - walk/run away from new.net and buy proper domain names only.

Related Posts from theWHIR.com