Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
    Originally posted by Goldwing
    Ah!! so a Treo 600 is a 24/7 outsourcing company - now I get it

If a young host does do it properly and can operate legally and properly support their customers with sufficient financial backup then good luck to them.

However many end up screwing their customers ( not intentionally) because they do not have the experience or the money to support the business and for many priorities change faster than their hormones.
    Most simply change their mind when they find out is actually REAl and HARD work.
    Mick Beeby
    www.reyaltec.com - Quality Helm Dedicated, Reseller & Shared Windows 2003 Hosting. UK & US based servers.
    www.aspbite.com - Modular ASP Content Management System

Goldwing, I never said that would class as 24x7 support - but he could be outsourcing and telling his clients that he offers 24x7.

I agree about the child comment. MOST can't, but every now and then, one comes along who can. They're the kind of people we need to run a hosting business, not a kid who wants to make a quick buck. Agree completely with that!

Originally posted by will7
    Goldwing, I never said that would class as 24x7 support - but he could be outsourcing and telling his clients that he offers 24x7.

I agree about the child comment. MOST can't, but every now and then, one comes along who can. They're the kind of people we need to run a hosting business, not a kid who wants to make a quick buck. Agree completely with that!
    Will7

My "tongue in cheek" comment was in response your comment about "maybe" outsourcing when his position at the time was to provide 24/7 on his Treo 600 - that to me gave off a level of immaturity.

You are correct though, every once in a while a true young entreprenuer will come along however the laws of most countries make this difficult until they reach an attainable age - there is usually a good reason for that.

Sadly the hosting industry is full of "make quick buck" people ( not all of them kids) it is so easy to buy a reseller account, set up a paypal account and call yourself a host - some will graduate to dedicated servers and then come to forums and ask questions like "what is ssh"

I certainly would not like to me in the market most hosts are in this forum competing in that market would drive me nuts
    Nil illegitimi carborundum
    I'm getting old and don't do drugs. I get the same effect just standing up fast.

I am partnered with person down in texas, whom I knew when he attended my school. He does all the financial and advertising work, and has the licensce.
    I fix things, buy new servers, adjust olds ones, monitor customer usage, and do all tech work, and find good prices (with reliability) on new servers.
    Within 1.5 months of starting (it is 7 weeks since starting), we have over 26 game server customers, and 23 web hosting customers. We colo 2 dual xeons and one p4 2.8ghz, making a net profit of ~400$ per month. We just broke even, and now plan to expand to the North-East.
    Brand the game servers, and have 10% referral benefits, and people advertise your servers for substantially less than adsense or words.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456