Question Fiber Optics help

I have purchased 2x Fast Ethernet Fiber Optic to Copper Ethernet media converters and a 5m ST-ST duplex patch cable. These should be arriving at my door withing the next couple of days.

I have a simple question. Do I set it like the following ?

RX - TX
    TX - RX

Would putting the cables the wrong way round damage the devices ?

I cannot find anything on the net to say which way the cables go round. I'm being very careful because these devices coz they cost loads !

I appreciate all help !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails simplediagram.gif  

You are correct. tx---rx

To my knowledge, hooking them up the wrong way won't hurt the equipment.. At least from my experience.

Since you sound a little new to Fiber... The one thing you need to know is.. no matter how tempting it is to look into the end of fiber cable to find out if you can see the light DO NOT DO IT!!!

You can burn the back of your eyes and go partially or completely blind in that eye.

Good rule of thumb, never look into the end of fiber cable even if it's unplugged (bad habit).. Always look at it from the side.

Barry
    VisionHosting.net
    Dedicated, Reseller, and Shared Hosting
    http://www.visionhosting.net/
    barry@visionhosting.net

Thanks for the reply.

You are correct in thinking, I am new to fiber.

You also knew exactly what I wanted to do..look into the light ! But now I will not....

Im sure that everything should go fine now.

If there are any other things I should know, please tell me !

yip, its a laser, not just light, just like laser it can blind you.

no damage can be done, if you want to know if its working use a piece of paper in front of the end to check if the laser is on:

if light is coming out of the cable you need to plug it into the hole where no light is coming out of.

if no light is coming out of a hole in the card/convertor the cable without a light must be plugged in there.

its all pretty simple, nothing can be damaged if plugged in wrong as its only light !!, lol

just make sure you have the right equipment, as there are various types of fibre connector etc... but i wont go into that here
    www.microsolder.uk - Microsoldering Services in the UK