How to set up sub domain to point to a different server transparently?

Hi:
    I'm using WHM/ cPanel. Being a DNS newbie, just wondering, how would I go about setting up a sub domain to point to a different server transparently, so it isn't simply a redirection? For example, I need:

sub.mydomain.com

to be served from a different server than the one "mydomain.com" itself is on, but without redirection (so the URL remains sub.mydomain.com) when it's typed and loads.

Thanks much,
      0 Not allowed!

Just point DNS to sub.mydomain.com to the IP of the server its supposed to be hosted on, and kill the sub domain in cPanel. If the subdomain isnt going to be hosted locally, then its pointless to have cPanel setup with it.
    James Cornman - jcornman@atlanticmetro.net
    Atlantic Metro Communications - AS29838
    Data Centers Managed Hosting Internet Access VMware vCloud Partner
      0 Not allowed!

Sorry for the newbie questions, but what's the basic way to doing the above then without cPanel/ WHM? With my registrar (namecheap), I can register nameservers for a domain itself, but not subdomain I can't imagine...
      0 Not allowed!

You should remove the subdomain from cPanel, and add a DNS record for that subdomain instead. From what it sounds like, your subdomain points to a different server, right? If so, just point sub.domain.com to the IP of that server.
    James Cornman - jcornman@atlanticmetro.net
    Atlantic Metro Communications - AS29838
    Data Centers Managed Hosting Internet Access VMware vCloud Partner
      0 Not allowed!

Yeah, with cPanel is very easy and intuitive.
      0 Not allowed!

add a CNAME or an A (mental blank, cant remember which) entry for the subdomain and put in the corresponding IP?
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Bub Host
    add a CNAME or an A (mental blank, cant remember which) entry for the subdomain and put in the corresponding IP?
    Thanks Bub Host, that seems more right. I was looking via Google, and that seems to be roughly what I need to do. If anything can be more specific, I'm sure that would help as well. Still trying to get my head wrapped around all this.
      0 Not allowed!

hy

In whm use this
    Edit a DNS Zone klik on mydomain.com
    and at the end add this

sub.mydomain.com. 14400 IN A Ip_another_server

that is all
      0 Not allowed!

Cool that worked! One question though- what if the target server hosting sub.mydomain.com isn't IP but named based, so the IP is shared by many accounts? How would I get the target server to correctly delegate sub.mydomain.com to its own account?

Thanks
      0 Not allowed!

It won't matter if the IP is shared or not. Here's why:

User types in: sub.yourdomain.com
    Server1 answers and says -> goto server 2's IP

As long as the sub-domain is added to Server 2's DNS, then everything will work properly.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by AuthorityHost

As long as the sub-domain is added to Server 2's DNS, then everything will work properly.
    I assume you mean I should then simply create an account on the target server's WHM with the name "sub.mydomain.com"?

Thanks,
      0 Not allowed!

yes, that'll work.
      0 Not allowed!

Related Posts from theWHIR.com