Santy worm hits more than 40,000 websites(phpBB)

Thousands of website bulletin boards have been defaced by a virus that used Google to spread across the net.

The Santy worm first appeared on 20 December and within 24 hours had successfully hit more than 40,000 websites.

The malicious program exploits a vulnerability in the widely used phpBB software.

Santy's spread has now been stopped after Google began blocking infected sites searching for new victims.

More at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4117711.stm
    Primary email: advanced dot programmer at gmail dot com ..

Much of this was automated by the well known capabilities of Google's comprehensive search feature. It will continue to be a powerful tool.
    CybexHost.com - Shared and Reseller Hosting Solutions on cPanel/WHM Linux Servers
    ModernTweak.com - Discount ModernBill Licenses, Hosted Installations, and Professional Services
    :: Pay for your discount ModernBill license with PayPal
    :: admin[at]cybexhost.com :: AIM: CybexH

this is very bad. There are a few things you can do to stop it.

Yes
    It is given on phpBB site. You need to upgrade to the newest available release of PHP (both versions 4 and 5).

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=248046
    Primary email: advanced dot programmer at gmail dot com ..

heh, another reason why you should never use piece of crap software like phpBB and buy a real discussion board software instead.

<3 vBulletin ^_^

heh, another reason why you should never use piece of crap software like phpBB and buy a real discussion board software instead.
    Its not as much of a phpBB issue, but it seems to be targeting phpBB boards, but a PHP issue. I'm sure the same can happen with VBulletin or Invision Board. Truthfully, I wouldn't be surprized if this virus was launched by a message board company that is losing big due to the phpbb.
    Kerry Jones

bbc.co.uk . . . Once Google started blocking these search queries the rate of infection tailed off sharply . . . Santy is not the first malicious program to use Google to help it spread.
    Interesting! First off, I thought Google does not do anything to change search results and it was purely their algorithm :: quess not!
    Originally posted by Alfarin
    phpBB is used by over a million webmasters and is still a good open source alternative to vB and IPB. Still looks pretty bad for phpBB :: a big ouch!
    Sid Shroff
    Senior Enterprise Web Administrator
    IIS, .NET, MS SQL
    SidShroff.com

Originally posted by Kerry Jones
    . . . Truthfully, I wouldn't be surprized if this virus was launched by a message board company that is losing big due to the phpbb.
    Odd! I was thinking that too . . . now that IPB is no longer free. + there are other free boards as well.
    Sid Shroff
    IIS, .NET, MS SQL
    SidShroff.com

Odd! I was thinking that too . . . now that IPB is no longer free. + there are other free boards as well.
    Yes, my thoughts exactly. The reason why I thought it might be one of the other message board developers is because recently phpBB has been gaining a huge amount of popularity and it seems someone isn't too thrilled with them. It does seem to be a well planned attack especially considering they used google to spread it.
    Kerry Jones

Originally posted by Kerry Jones
    . . . It does seem to be a well planned attack especially considering they used google to spread it.
    Happens in the Hosting Biz. Can happen with Bulletin Boards as well; it is a competitive world
    Sid Shroff
    IIS, .NET, MS SQL
    SidShroff.com