how honest are companies about this

Can you usually really use all the resources you paid for in your reseller account or when you start using all your resources they will cut you off alleging you are consuming too much cpu resources and etc?

Have you ever had a porblem like that?

most never reach the max and if they do theres aways a upgrade available

Re: how honest are companies about this

Originally posted by ICantRemember
    Can you usually really use all the resources you paid for in your reseller account or when you start using all your resources they will cut you off alleging you are consuming too much cpu resources and etc?

Have you ever had a porblem like that?
    If you've paid for X space and Y bandwidth you obviously should be allowed to consume those amounts.

If your site can't get to X and Y without abusing CPU resources then that's a different matter.

The CPU resource clause isn't there only to give hosts a "get out" if someone looks like they are going to use all the space and bandwidth the host offered them. Some sites can actually take much more than their fair share of CPU power.

Andrew
    NetHosted - UK based hosting solutions.

i aked that because i was thinking: as most companies oversell they may not be happy if you use all your disk space and bandwidth and then use cpu clause against you

Clients using all their allocated Web space and/or Data transfer is never a problem with the good Hosts.

Most Hosts will also have some way to automatically give notice to a Client when they reach 80% or thereabouts, of either Web space or Data transfer. Mind you, that is usually a once-a-day thing, so it is possible someone could go over inbetween updates -- highly unlikely though, unless they are doing something they shouldn't.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

i aked that because i was thinking: as most companies oversell they may not be happy if you use all your disk space and bandwidth and then use cpu clause against you
    Most honest companies wont do that. Proper overselling principles arent based on the assumption that none of your users will ever use their alloted diskspace/bandwidth, its based on the assumption that most of most of them wont.
    Responsible web hosts leave enough room on each server so that if some of the users actually use all of what they have been allocated it wont put too much of a strain on the server.

"The CPU clause" is a whole different ball game. Ive had experience where persons with websites under 100 MB were using more than 10% CPU resources. That can pose a real problem, and thats why that clause is included, I dont think its there to "trick" the customer.
    Vertivo :: Affordable Web Hosting Packages and Reseller Plans
    We offer affordable and reliable Linux-based Reseller and Shared Hosting Plans. Accepted: All major Credit Cards and PayPal.

I dont think its there to "trick" the customer.
    But it can easily be used for that.

The way I see it, a good host will take things at site level. I mean, they will deal with the account of the customer (your customer) that is creating problems on the server. They will suspend that account and let you know about it so that you can tell your customer what happened in due time.

Now, if a host offers 100GB for $5, they might be forced to lie and not let you get close to using what they've promised.

Has anyone ever tried to test the amount of overselling? They could sign up for an account and make sure to use up all their space and bandwidth and then see if the host complains. It'd be interesting to see the results from some of these hosts.

To test that you'd have speak with all the customers hosted on that server. Because of the way overselling works, a host might be able to allow one, two or more customers per server to fully use what they were promised.

We have had clients who didn't even use a fourth of their space and bandwidth, but they can drag a P4 2.8ghz server down to the ground. CPU usage is way different than space/bandwidth. Although, I'm starting to think each package should come with allocated CPU time. Alot of companies however have universal CPU regulations in their TOS/AUP/etc...

Im not sure if most companies oversell - but, I can assure you that ALL hosting companies do not oversell.

If this is important to you, make sure you shop for a host according to this requirement. The additional benefit to you is less customerserver ratio which directly equates into a decreased probability for problems.
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

If you pay a decent amount for the plan, the host should have no problem letting you use the resources you are paying for, now if you're paying $5 for 150GB of bandwidth, you can expect that host to cut you in order to continue making a profit...it's simple business...
    Nick Nelson
    Sr. Director & GM, VAS
    Demand Media
    425.298.2282 nn@demandmedia.com

Yep, it sounds like they are overselling some space

they will cut you off alleging you are consuming too much cpu resources
    Usually yes they can , its not included in the deal a 90% CPU usage or something ,.
    In way i cannot imagine what you would be using as a legal software or plugin that could cause that.
    Plus in general most hosts are likely to limit each users process not to overload in their tweaking for the server .
    So i guess its fair if ur doing something that is exchausting the server like if you have the ssh access and your running scripts where some could be dangerous for them !
    POINTLeb Hosting Lebanese Hosting for the Middle East
    The fact that no one understands you , does not make you an artist
    Mo Ghaoui's Personal Blog

Cutting off a client is always the last thing a host would usually want to do: unless you are affecting other clients.

There's a few scenarios to this (assuming you are paying market rates and not kiddie rates for hosting)

1. You are still well within your resources and bandwidth allowed. But you have a script that continually use 120% of the CPU throughout the day.

Question: What happens?

Answer: You would be spiking the loads to unhealthy levels, and affecting other shared clients. If you can't fix the script timely, any self respecting host would suspend you.

2. Your site is bursting 90mbit for hours a month. It's still within the allowed resources on a per month basis. But everytime you do so, other clients may be experiencing lag, packet loss and slowness.

Of course, that's not to say that all the hosts around are respectable. I wish I can say they all are, but the truth is clear. So as long as you pick a host where you are paying market rates, isn't using resources in a manner detrimental to other shared clients on the same server, you won't have the issue of being kicked off the server. In fact, in every case we encountered, we worked with the client to identify the problem and resolve it to everyone's satisfaction.
    ••• Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts! •••
    ••• http://www.sprintserve.net •••
    ••• Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting | •••
    ••• Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management | •••